Author Topic: got gas?  (Read 10476 times)

Offline shannon

• Egg Thief
  • hey, that's me!
    • View Profile
got gas?
« on: August 30, 2010, 12:23:12 pm »
for the past 2 days of eating raw meat i have been a bit gassy and i did not have 1 bm today (very strange for me).  is this something to be expected when first starting out?  anyone else have these issues at first that can ease my mind (and belly)?  i thought raw meat was s'posed to be easier to digest.  didn't have this issue with cooked meats, huh.
Vegetables are interesting but lack a sense of purpose when unaccompanied by a good cut of meat.  ~Fran Lebowitz

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: got gas?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 03:02:22 pm »
My stomach initially hurt from raw meat. Could just be transitioning.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 05:28:23 pm »
It's just transitioning. Many people have some sort of minor issue - I had diarrhea for 2-3 days, others had constipation for a week, and so on.

Not having BMs isn't bad at all. For example, raw zero-carbers rarely have BMs every single day, sometimes not for 3 days. This is because animal foods are far better absorbed than plant foods so stools are much less(I go to the toilet less when I reduce carb-intake). Plus, stools are also much smaller and less frequent on raw diets as raw foods are better absorbed by the body than cooked foods.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline shannon

• Egg Thief
  • hey, that's me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 09:25:19 pm »
thanks ;) this will pass soon?
Vegetables are interesting but lack a sense of purpose when unaccompanied by a good cut of meat.  ~Fran Lebowitz

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 01:08:20 am »
thanks ;) this will pass soon?
It should do so. Like I said, some newbies never experience a thing when first transitioning, while most just experience a period of 2-3 days or so of minor discomfort. A few do experience longer periods of detox(maybe 2-3 weeks). I can't imagine anyone experiencing issues after that point unless they're doing something wrong(eg:- dairy-allergic people eating raw dairy, carb-sensitive people eating raw carbs - and maybe 1 or 2 individuals with very severely damaged digestive systems might have isssues(I think I read of 1 health-problem, for example in which the human body can't digest any fats properly?)
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 02:57:32 am »
    If you're eating anything else in your diet these days besides raw meat, what is it?  How close to raw meat time are you eating it?  Are you eating it before after or during the raw meat eating?  There's an art to food combining raw meat.  If I don't do it right, I get gas.

When I started pd I got the runs, but I hadn't started meat yet.  Once I started (raw) meat, I didn't get any runs.  Raw meat digests very well for me.  Just have to be careful what I mix it with.  If I'm careful, everything is perfection.  

Shannon, did you read WW2L?  If so, did you have a mini-consult by anyone?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline shannon

• Egg Thief
  • hey, that's me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 03:07:20 am »
   If you're eating anything else in your diet these days besides raw meat, what is it?  How close to raw meat time are you eating it?  Are you eating it before after or during the raw meat eating?  There's an art to food combining raw meat.  If I don't do it right, I get gas.

When I started pd I got the runs, but I hadn't started meat yet.  Once I started (raw) meat, I didn't get any runs.  Raw meat digests very well for me.  Just have to be careful what I mix it with.  If I'm careful, everything is perfection.  

Shannon, did you read WW2L?  If so, did you have a mini-consult by anyone?
no i didn't read that.  what is it?  i've been eating raw meats with some cooked veggies.  not so good?  i personally digest cooked veggies better.  i'm eating some raw eggs in the morning with cooked pork side (i've been eating the eggs raw for awhile now though).  i still eat cooked meats as you can see.  i've also been 'supplementing' with raw liver throughout the day.  i was not aware that raw paleo was a combination diet.  i have lots to learn;-)

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 07:35:41 am »
lol..... I would say it is not attributed to the raw meat but to your other cooked foods(possibly additives in processed pork). Why are you even eating cooked meat along with raw meat...
I get bad gas when I eat certain processed foods. When I only eat raw my digestion is perfect and after I eat and my stomach feels so light! as if I hadn't even eaten anything, yet I have lots of energy and strength!

also certain flavorings and spices might be the culprit. when I eat certain spices(black pepper is one culprit I think) with cooked food I get really bad gas too, but when I eat them with raw food they don't seem to effect me negatively.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 07:50:05 am by MaximilianKohler »

Offline shannon

• Egg Thief
  • hey, that's me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 08:04:16 am »
i never got gas from cooked foods.  sugar, grains, dairy, legumes gave me problems.  cooked foods have always been easy on my gut.  soon as i went raw vegan last year, gut pains to the max.  so maybe i should eat raw meat by itself?  i have a crazy fascination with bacon too, so i'm not quite ready to say goodbye(it's just fresh pork side)it's pastured too.  we don't eat anything with ingredients in our house.  sometimes we use good quality sea salt and fresh organic spices.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 06:23:15 pm »
Raw foods require different kinds of digestion than cooked foods. I suspect, from past experience, that less stomach-acid is needed for raw foods than cooked foods. At any rate, I have always found raw and cooked foods together to not mix well. Better to eat the raw meats on their own, and not even mix them with raw plant foods at the same time. For those other newbies with seriously digestive systems from past cooked diets, it's best to start out for the first few months, if possible, on 100% RVAF diet if you can, and practice "mono-eating"(ie eat 1 type of raw food at a time - so eat just  raw marrow at 1 meal, some hours later eat some raw fruit on its own, hours after that just eat raw grassfed muscle-meat on its own. I just mention it as it worked for me when I first started as I'd had very serious digestive issues pre-RPD diet such as stomach-aches from eating any cooked animal foods etc. etc.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 09:47:08 pm »
no i didn't read that.  what is it?  i've been eating raw meats with some cooked veggies.  not so good?  i personally digest cooked veggies better.  i'm eating some raw eggs in the morning with cooked pork side (i've been eating the eggs raw for awhile now though).  i still eat cooked meats as you can see.  i've also been 'supplementing' with raw liver throughout the day.  i was not aware that raw paleo was a combination diet.  i have lots to learn;-)

The full name of the book is "we want to live" "volume one out of the grips of disease and death (the story)" "volume two healthfully (the facts)" "the primal diet" written by aajonus vonderplanitz.  It's not exactly paleo; because it has juices (mostly green) and it has dairy (both juice and dairy and the rest depending on your diagnosis/health situation).  I think the book is practically illegal everywhere.  I don't think it's in public libraries.  I don't think it's at Barnes and Noble or Amazon.  It's very different.

I think raw meat digests better with cooked veges than raw veges in the same meal.  Raw veges should not be eaten within one hour of raw meat for better digestion.

Raw eggs digest more quickly than almost any other food.  Cooked pork digests more slowly than most other cooked or raw foods.  Why not eat the bacon raw?  I would suggest not eating the eggs in the same meal with the meat.  Wait 25 or 30 minutes.  I'm not sure how long raw liver takes.  I think it's almost as quick as raw eggs.  People have always given it to babies, except me, I was vegetarian for philosophical reason mostly for most of my adult life.  I just ate a snip of raw lamb liver as I typed this. :p

There are many different raw paleo diets.  Instincto raw paleo only allows mono eating (one food till satisfied, next food only when something smells sooo good). 

I suspect, from past experience, that less stomach-acid is needed for raw foods than cooked foods. ...

I tried to eat some cooked (plant)food recently.  It brought on acidity, yuck.  The raw meat and other foods on my present regular diet don't seem to require much digestion, yet assimilate well and get used well for building/healing/wonderful stuff materials in my body.  My body seems to have always had a hard time trying to digest any kind of SAD food.   

Better to eat the raw meats on their own, and not even mix them with raw plant foods at the same time. For those other newbies with seriously digestive systems from past cooked diets, it's best to start out for the first few months, if possible, on 100% RVAF diet if you can...

Right.  Raw meat and raw plant foods don't mix on your meal plate at a meal.  They take very different type of digestion. 

Me too, when I start raw (vegan or RVAF), I start out 100% raw and living for about six months.  I want to know how the raw works, and I don't feel I am giving it a chance nor will see if I try a new thing mixed with the old.

- so eat just  raw marrow at 1 meal, some hours later eat some raw fruit on its own, hours after that just eat raw grassfed muscle-meat on its own. I just mention it as it worked for me when I first started as I'd had very serious digestive issues pre-RPD diet such as stomach-aches from eating any cooked animal foods etc. etc.

Ha!  That's what I ate for breakfast today, a nice portion of room temperature softened 100% grassfed never been frozen marrow.  Before that this morning I had a sip of mineral water.  The marrow was very refreshing.  I love the energy from it.  This is the first time I smeared a little on my skin to see if that works well as a moisturizer.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 09:57:37 pm »
i never got gas from cooked foods.  sugar, grains, dairy, legumes gave me problems.  cooked foods have always been easy on my gut.  soon as i went raw vegan last year, gut pains to the max.  

Cooked food seems to require strong stomach acid to digest.  It also requires thick stomach lining and mucus for protection.  Raw food breaks down with living enzymes/bacteria.  The two don't mix well.  Maybe they mix if 100% veg or on a diet of 100% zero carb, that's what I suspect from my experience up till now.

Me too.  Most raw vegan foods can be very hard on my body, organs etc my body just can't use most kinds, can't convert them to the vitamins and such that the body needs.  The popular green smoothies can be near deadly for me.  Cooked veges were edible for me for a long time.  :) I was probably the only small child when I was growing up too that no one had to tell me to eat my spinach, string beans etc.  I ate them every dinner quickly.  I feel better with vegetable juice though.

When or if you ever completely get away from legumes etc and stay 100% on this diet, you will notice less gas than you ever knew you had.  I ate beans for decades and didn't get gas from it eaither, but this is different.

Offline shannon

• Egg Thief
  • hey, that's me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 12:47:15 am »
well i don't eat legumes so that's a +

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 07:12:15 am »
Shannon,
My experience roughly mirrors TD's and others.

I might add that it might also be a case of not enough fat or liquid, whether it be animal fat or butter or whatever. My experience is that fat helps the peristaltic action of the GI tract in moving stuff along, by lubricating. When food stops somewhere it produces gas. Raw vege juice does the trick for me first thing in the morning, which totally surprised me after many years of cooked vegan.
Ayurveda says that fat (it is usually talking about ghee or clarified butter) helps to keep the digestive fires burning bright and clean, meaning the digestion is optimized which means that the food is being metabolized properly.

Raw vegan for me would be a complete disaster. I cannot even imagine it because if I were to eat it for one day I would be so ravenously hungry I would prefer to eat wood.
Cheers
Al

Offline shannon

• Egg Thief
  • hey, that's me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 07:52:16 am »
thanks guys, i'll apply your advice to tomorrow's meals. ;D

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 09:59:18 am »
Also are you mono-eating?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline shannon

• Egg Thief
  • hey, that's me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 11:17:19 am »
no mono eating.  nothing too weird though, just raw meat and cooked veg

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 01:20:59 am »
    :) Best of everything to you, Shannon.

Raw vegan for me would be a complete disaster. I cannot even imagine it because if I were to eat it for one day I would be so ravenously hungry I would prefer to eat wood.

Oh gosh, it is like wood, isn't it?  I can't believe I was eating what a termite would for so long, like movie The Emerald Forest.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 04:25:09 am »
i am extreme by nature for sure. veggies are not my favorite thing ever in my life, but i become raw vegan by one night. same thing with raw meat and high meat, just by one night complete transformation. never have any issue of gas. i just eat plain meat, organs fats, nothing i put with them. i don't even dehydrate them never. give me all raw :D!!!
bugs or country chickens

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 04:59:22 am »
Yeah it's funny how that works. I went from cooked vegan one day to raw meat/vege juice and the rest of AV's ideas the next. The taste was tough at first as I was used to flavour :D . However now the cooked flavour is a bit too much for me generally. Having a cooked meal now is a great idea, but not so good once it's ingested.
Cheers
Al

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk