Author Topic: Storing fat?  (Read 8771 times)

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
Storing fat?
« on: September 03, 2010, 03:44:18 pm »
I just got a bunch of fat trimmings, would it be better to store them in a cooler temperature or at room temperature?  Can fat get high at all?  And does it start to stink?  because I'm going to be keeping it in my room, I don't want to stink my room out, so should I keep it in a way the smell won't get out?
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Storing fat?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 06:50:53 pm »
For longer period of time I store the fat in the freezer.
Rancidification of fats isn't IMO healthy.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 06:56:34 pm »
So fat can become rancid?  I think I'll keep it in the cooler then, there's a lot of it and I'd rather like it to last me.. Well, it is free though, that's nice.  hm.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 10:19:35 pm »
I only get what I need from week to week because I experience that it goes rancid. You can eat it, but it tastes foul.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 06:49:05 am »
Definately keep it cold.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 06:06:30 am »
How long does it usually take at room/warm temperatures to go rancid?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 11:24:04 am »
I only get what I need from week to week because I experience that it goes rancid. You can eat it,

Thanks.  I'll take a rain-check.  I ate some marrow I had too long, and I did NOT like the results. 

Rancidification of fats isn't IMO healthy.

I heartily agree!
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline nicole

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 02:05:10 am »
wrap each piece individually in butcher paper to keep dry in the refer.
Give it to us raw, and wriggling. You keep nasty chips.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 12:18:51 am »
Where do I get butcher paper?  And why would I want it to be dry?  I like juicy foods.

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 12:33:16 am »
    Thanks.  I'll take a rain-check.  I ate some marrow I had too long, and I did NOT like the results. 

Minor food poisoning or?

@wolf. Ask your local butcher. If he cant sell it to you, he may know where to buy it. Dry is good because moist means more bacteria.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 01:15:43 am »
FYI, my fat is also commercial grain-fed fat trimmings, but it is the ONLY fat source I have been able to find so far, and it's free.  I have not yet been able to find any source of organic and/or grass-fed fat at all(other than raw milk/butter/cheese which is too expensive for me), so I have to go with the commercial grain-fed.  Because it's basically either that, or go back to eating pizza and frozen tv dinners which is also free for me.

I thought bacteria was a good thing?  Like in high meat?  Or does that just make the fat go rancid sooner?  The store I get the fat from is only like 5 minutes away from my house, and I actually could easily go almost everyday and get new fresh fat trimmings though, I was just wondering how I should keep it since I got a lot of it the first time, and I didn't know if it gets high and/or starts to stink really bad like muscle meat does.  Or how long it takes before the fat will start to go bad/get high/stink, at room temperature.  Being able to store at room temperature would ideal for me since I like to eat my foods on the warmer side rather than cold, especially fat, and I hate having to let something sit out to wait for it to get room temperature before I eat it.  If fat would be fine to store at room temperature for up to three days, also without stinking, that would be perfect.  I can always get new fresh fat after that.  Or will it go bad at room temperature before then?  I was just wondering exactly how fast it takes for fat to go bad or stink at room temp.  Can't have stinking at all because I'm keeping it in my room.

Also, how about warming fat up?  I find it ideal to put the fat in a glass jar and leave it outside in the sun for a little while.  But it gets pretty hot here, like in the 90's (F) usually, and the fat does seem to start to melt a little.. I don't know if that's a bad thing?  It tastes more amazing that way, but I don't know what the threshold is before it's considered "cooked" or at what temperature the heat starts to create toxins/destroy nutrients and such.  Does the sunlight through the glass and/or in a sealed jar somehow overheat/cook the fat maybe?  I do really actually prefer the taste of my fat when it's cooked, so I can't go by taste.  But I heard cooking fat is really bad, as far as the toxins created and such, so I want to avoid that, especially since I'm using commercial grain-fed fat.  If it was organic grass-fed I wouldn't worry so much, but unfortunately it's not.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 01:31:53 am »
Also on the subject of fat, is it bad to go a day or two, maybe even three, per week eating just fat with no muscle meat all day?  I'm low on money and the fat trimmings are free, so being able to go a couple days on fat alone would actually be awesome, and save me a lot of money, and also prevent me from ending up eating free pizza at work once in a while to save me money on food.  I also eat raw egg yolks from organic free-range chicken eggs everyday too, though.  But those are mostly fat as well, so I'd still be eating super high-fat.  I'm also going to look into finding a source of at least organic liver, but hopefully grass-fed, and try to eat an ounce of liver everyday too.  So I would at least be getting a lot of nutrients from the egg yolks and the liver.  I would just be lacking the muscle meats most likely for a day or two a week, since it would be the most expensive thing I have to buy to stay raw. (right now I'm tight on money and can't afford much.)

Offline the PresiDenT

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 02:05:20 pm »
Also on the subject of fat, is it bad to go a day or two, maybe even three, per week eating just fat with no muscle meat all day?  I'm low on money and the fat trimmings are free, so being able to go a couple days on fat alone would actually be awesome, and save me a lot of money, and also prevent me from ending up eating free pizza at work once in a while to save me money on food.  I also eat raw egg yolks from organic free-range chicken eggs everyday too, though.  But those are mostly fat as well, so I'd still be eating super high-fat.  I'm also going to look into finding a source of at least organic liver, but hopefully grass-fed, and try to eat an ounce of liver everyday too.  So I would at least be getting a lot of nutrients from the egg yolks and the liver.  I would just be lacking the muscle meats most likely for a day or two a week, since it would be the most expensive thing I have to buy to stay raw. (right now I'm tight on money and can't afford much.)
i saw on this discovery show that some animals can live off only bone marrow for years if needed. theyd eat the bones usually too.
The price is wrong Bob

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 11:02:49 am »
I have had sour marrow before, left old lamb bones in the fridge for a few weeks when I cracked it open it had turned sour but it was alright and I ate it without issue, although there wasn't a large amount, so I am not sure if could live off of old bones for a fat source, or if the rancidness would limit the total intake
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk