Author Topic: Eating Egg Shells  (Read 29640 times)

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Eating Egg Shells
« on: August 14, 2008, 07:52:05 am »
Is their value to this? Next time I eat some eggs should I consume the shells too?

Offline Kristelle

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Eating Egg Shells
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 08:58:25 am »
Unnecessary, if you ask me. Eat the egg but go easy on them. It is not an optimal food, in my opinion, as opposed to meat.

Offline SilentBuddy

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 08:59:37 am »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 01:48:56 pm »
I agree with Kristelle. Eggs are fine as an  energy-booster but they're not too effective re health-recovery. Egg-shells are probably fine to eat, but I'm afraid I'm a little squeamish re them as I know what they're usually covered in prior to being washed.

Oh, and if you're able to get hold of a source of mostly fertilised eggs, go for those, instead, as they're much better for you than the unfertilised  version.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Metallica

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 11:08:23 pm »
i think i read that Bruce Lee would put an entire egg and shell into his protein smoothie

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 11:49:23 pm »
One note related to the topic:

"As reported in past posts in archives, I have sometimes eaten eggshells (from organic pastured hens, now from my own EM-fed fre-range hens), often ground first in blender, with no harm. I suspect utility and efficiency depends upon whether your gut produces enough acid to dissolve the shells. Interestingly, Aajonus Vonderplanitz, the founder of Primal Diet, a type of RVAF diet, has stated loudly more than once that he feels that people should not eat ground eggshells, and painted a gory picture of the eggshell pieces acting as pieces of sharp glass in the gut, causing lots of bleeding. However, his opinion and his experience -- which are obviusly true for him at least -- are likely due to the fact that he has written that his gut does not produce hydrochloric acid, due to surgery he had at about age 20. So, this warning may hold true for him, but may not hold true for others.

BTW, as reported in archives, I sometimes dissolve eggshells from my EM-fed free-range hens in EM brew or AEM and ingest the resultant ionic calcium/mineral mix.

with care,
--Vinny"

from

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/live-food/message/18344

Yuri
It’s time to Eat Like An Animal!

Offline MaverickHunter40245

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 10:27:52 am »
I eat eggshells with the egg.  When I eat eggs, I just insert the whole egg, shell and all, into my mouth, chew and swallow.

Offline avalon

• Forum Clown
  • Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 09:30:56 pm »
I eat eggshells with the egg.  When I eat eggs, I just insert the whole egg, shell and all, into my mouth, chew and swallow.

ooookay  :o  Let me guess, your plane crashed in the jungle and you were raised by snakes. I KNEW IT!!!

I rinse my shells, let them dry a few days and grind them to a powder in the coffee grinder. Then mix up some raw cat food, since my cat has like, no teeth to chew with  :'(

P.S. From what I've read, egg shell calcium is tops in bioavailability so if you're gonna supplement, I'd say GO EGG SHELLS!

« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 09:34:22 pm by avalon »

Offline MaverickHunter40245

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 01:39:06 pm »
ooookay  :o  Let me guess, your plane crashed in the jungle and you were raised by snakes. I KNEW IT!!!
Nope, I just see no reason of going through the trouble of cracking the shell, removing the yolk, and consuming them separately.  It's just easier to eat them together (And more satisfying, too).

Offline avalon

• Forum Clown
  • Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 07:25:34 pm »
I KNEW IT!  l)

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 01:36:31 am »
As someone who struggles with Candida, I occasionally include egg shells in my diet as a calcium supplement as per the anti-candida diet of Bee Wilder.  Basically, wash, dry and grind egg shells to a fine powder.  Mix with freshly squeezed lemon juice and soak for 3+ hours.  Apparently, this forms Calcium Citrate which is a highly absorbable form of Calcium.  It's not something I do regularly, however.

With the exclusion of dairy products and minimal amounts of vegetables, nuts, seeds etc in my RAF diet I am concerned about Calcium intake.  I find this supplement helps if I begin suffering with insomnia.

Michael
1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 01:54:11 am »
When I get eggs I just eat them whole now. I just put the whole egg in my mouth and crunch everything up.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 06:14:04 am »
Hey, now that's a great party trick Sully!  :o  I'm impressed!  And to think that people in the office used to be impressed when, back in my Primal Diet days, I'd crack a whole box of eggs into a glass, drink it in one gulp and chase it down with a whole pack of butter right in front of them!  They would find it so incredible that they video'd me doing it on their mobile phones to show their friends!   ;D
1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 12:11:03 am »
Hey, now that's a great party trick Sully! 
Yeah, that can be a way to get people comfortable with animal foods.

Do it as a party trick!  O0

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 02:20:27 pm »

Are they underdeveloped eggs you get with the chicken's chest cavity?

Hey, now that's a great party trick Sully!  :o  I'm impressed!  And to think that people in the office used to be impressed when, back in my Primal Diet days, I'd crack a whole box of eggs into a glass, drink it in one gulp and chase it down with a whole pack of butter right in front of them!  They would find it so incredible that they video'd me doing it on their mobile phones to show their friends!   ;D

I'd love to see the videos.

I rinse my shells, let them dry a few days and grind them to a powder in the coffee grinder. Then mix up some raw cat food, since my cat has like, no teeth to chew with  :'(

P.S. From what I've read, egg shell calcium is tops in bioavailability so if you're gonna supplement, I'd say GO EGG SHELLS!

Has that shown any improvement in your cat's health?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 03:47:36 am »
As someone who struggles with Candida, I occasionally include egg shells in my diet as a calcium supplement as per the anti-candida diet of Bee Wilder.  Basically, wash, dry and grind egg shells to a fine powder.  Mix with freshly squeezed lemon juice and soak for 3+ hours.  Apparently, this forms Calcium Citrate which is a highly absorbable form of Calcium.  It's not something I do regularly, however.

With the exclusion of dairy products and minimal amounts of vegetables, nuts, seeds etc in my RAF diet I am concerned about Calcium intake.  I find this supplement helps if I begin suffering with insomnia.

Michael
this is definitely i will add on my RAF diet. i've seen that when my little boy used to consumed lots of leafy greens, he gets most calcium in his blood without any vitD and vit K2. now his green intakes dramatically reduce, but now i'm concern about calcium intake. do you think that'll help him, eggshells?
bugs or country chickens

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 05:49:08 am »
When I get eggs I just eat them whole now. I just put the whole egg in my mouth and crunch everything up.
I would disagree now. I don't think shells are necessary and prefer to eat the yolk mainly. but who knows.....

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 09:41:13 am »
Raw,  I would go with the ground up bone.  Egg shells unless powdered, are pretty hard for the body to breakdown and digest.  Also they don't have the mineral balance of bones.

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 03:49:56 am »
Just to add to the body of knowledge: You can also use egg shells in vegetable ferments to create a biologically available form of calcium as describe on this website. Although the author doesn't suggest that you should eat the shells, I'm not sure of the harm of doing so.

I recently made two large batches of sauerkraut and I think I will add some ground egg shells to the 'kraut for kicks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk