Author Topic: Protein and fat digestion  (Read 36052 times)

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
Re: Protein and fat digestion
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2008, 09:27:56 am »

I get some of the connective tissue of suet in my stools. It's made out of some arrangement of sugars. I really doubt many people can digest it even with a fully functioning HCL production.

So...some doesn't get digested, me too, it's connective tissue and is quite strong, there's no nutrients in it anyway. Why would the body digest something when there are no nutrients in it??? now i'm the one confused...

Andrew
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

xylothrill

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2008, 11:15:32 am »
Humans produce a digestive enzyme called elastase, which breaks down elastin (connective tissue). Could it be that your pancreases were damaged from cooked food?

xylothrill

« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2008, 11:58:29 am »
Craig, I thought the heart would beat more with extra salt - more pressure - water retention. If you didn't sweat...would you still add extra salt? Did you go for a period with out salt vs. with salt? How do you get on with water retention? Why is salt good for the adrenals - I thought more pressure would influence the adrenals in a negative way?

We have a member who lives on the Philippines; he must sweat and does not eat salt - perhaps his children don't get any extra salt as well?

It is hard to get a clear picture - the body gives messages and we don't understand or just ignore them.

Minerals are more interesting than carbs (to me); minerals are whats left of the body when we are no more!

Nicola
Nicola,

It seems like heart-rate would go down to me too. One of the symptoms of sodium deficiency is heart palpitations and I thought I read somewhere that rapid heart-rate was also but perhaps I was confusing the two. Do heart palpitations feel like a rapid heart-beat?

I needed hardly any salt at all this past winter. Only when it started warming up did I feel the need for it.
I know people from Manila and they say it's actually hotter here in the summer. Even in the summer though, I don't think I'd need supplemental salt if I didn't do manual labor. I'm pretty well heat-adapted and don't sweat merely because it's hot outside. I have to be doing something physical to sweat.

Craig

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2008, 05:40:15 pm »
Achloridia / thyroid / iodine

Good digestion, health and iodine...

http://www.quackcenter.com/ideficiency.html

Paleo carnivores ate organs - they did not all have access to fish/seafood.

Many eating meat and fat talk about eating xxx lb of beef - how can they be getting iodine? They also say that digestion is no problem, with or with out salt.

Nicola

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2008, 06:17:49 pm »

This is interesting:

http://www.coconutstudio.com/Iodine.htm

Nicola

Offline TheWayCreatesTheWarrior

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
    • WhereHaveTheBuffaloGone
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2008, 07:08:32 pm »
I get some of the connective tissue of suet in my stools. It's made out of some arrangement of sugars. I really doubt many people can digest it even with a fully functioning HCL production.

So...some doesn't get digested, me too, it's connective tissue and is quite strong, there's no nutrients in it anyway. Why would the body digest something when there are no nutrients in it??? now i'm the one confused...

Andrew

i kind of take an eastern nutritional approach on things like this, "Like Treats Like", so eating/digesting connective tissue would be good for your connective tissue, at least in a "building blocks" sorta way.
There can be no mercy in the heart, of the heart, of the Wolf.

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2008, 09:16:16 pm »
Thyroid (interesting, but not into the coconut oil):

http://coconutdiet.com/thyroid_health.htm

I wonder if iodine is stored in body fat, then animal fat should have iodine?

Nicola

carnivore

« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2008, 01:42:06 am »
"Fatigue — An underactive thyroid typically causes fatigue. Iodine supplementation can quickly activate the thyroid and relieve fatigue. Dr Abraham reports iodine deficiency may harm pituitary-adrenal function in rodents. Your adrenal is essential for energy and stamina."

That is interesting.

Seafood contains a lot of iodine and I can atest that oysters give me a lot of energy!
I may be iodine deficient ?

Offline TheWayCreatesTheWarrior

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
    • WhereHaveTheBuffaloGone
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2008, 04:44:04 pm »

Kelp for Iodine, and it tastes good too.
There can be no mercy in the heart, of the heart, of the Wolf.

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2008, 05:32:58 pm »

If your raw paleo approach works - what do you eat, how much and how many times a day? How old are you, weight, how long have you been eating this way and how much do you exercise a day?

Sorry, but it's difficult to understand a person with out the full picture.

Nicola

Satya

« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2008, 05:00:19 am »

Does kelp have to be boiled?  Can't I soak it for a long time instead?  I always rinse it first.  You know, I buy shredded kombu, it's like pasta.  I have been putting it in bone broths, but 1) I am all raw right now, and 2) it's too hot for hot soup.  Can't I soak without cooking and eat?  I think - no, I know - iodine deficiency is a big problem.  And if it is not in the soil or feed of your land animals, you may become deficient.  Natural is probably best, but the source is important and I have read seaweed can carry arsenic and bromides, cmiiw.

xylothrill

« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2008, 10:50:32 am »
Does kelp have to be boiled?  Can't I soak it for a long time instead?  I always rinse it first.  You know, I buy shredded kombu, it's like pasta.  I have been putting it in bone broths, but 1) I am all raw right now, and 2) it's too hot for hot soup.  Can't I soak without cooking and eat?  I think - no, I know - iodine deficiency is a big problem.  And if it is not in the soil or feed of your land animals, you may become deficient.  Natural is probably best, but the source is important and I have read seaweed can carry arsenic and bromides, cmiiw.

I can't remember the type of seaweed it was but I'd soak it overnight when I was a raw vegan and it came out fine. I don't think I rinsed it well enough because I'd always get some gritty stuff here and there.

Craig

carnivore

« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2008, 01:28:21 pm »
I can't remember the type of seaweed it was but I'd soak it overnight when I was a raw vegan and it came out fine. I don't think I rinsed it well enough because I'd always get some gritty stuff here and there.

Craig

The water in which you soaked the seaweed contains minerals. Do you drink it, or just eat the seaweed ?

xylothrill

« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2008, 02:02:42 pm »
I just at the seaweed. I didn't even think about the minerals leaching into the water.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2008, 03:37:49 pm »
Raw Samphire and raw oysters both have lots of iodine in them.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2008, 03:38:25 pm »
Hi all.

I feel for Nicola and understand all her worries as I'm faced with similar dilemmas.

My problems are mostly related to poor digestion as well. I'm convinced that my stomach is not functioning perfectly because I usually cannot eat more than half an lb of meat/fat in one go. If I do so I feel myself miserable, i.e. I have the feeling of continuous presence of food in the stomach and can not function normally after that for quite a while.

I thought the salt was an issue. I hated i was doing that but for a couple of months I was adding some sea salt to the water I drunk. I couldn't eat salt with raw meats as it becomes unpalatable for me. I don't think it helped me in any way.

As for now instead of any salt I eat 3-4 oz of bovine blood in the mornings. There are some issues also. I've found only very fresh blood maintains its liquid form. After a little while (several days) it gradually coagulates and turns into one big jelly lump. And what I have noticed also that only fluid blood tastes salty. The coagulated blood has a rather bland taste. That may mean that probably most of the chloride accumulates in that liquid substance...
Anyway, that didn't resolve digestive difficulties.

As for iodine, for some two months, against my will, I was supplementing with raw sea-herb. Since I didn't  notice any improvements I stopped it several weeks ago.

I have found that IF was not appropriate for me as well. Thus, despite all inconveniences of eating early, I have to have the breakfast and don't fast et all these days.

As I cannot figure out what is wrong with my raw paleo diet (I was eating this way ?. a year and a half) I just do my best to at least make sure I'm not aggravating the situation. I eat the amount of meat/fat which don't disturbs me afterwards (usually 0.5lb two times daily) and wait for the better times.

I hope all those who still have some difficulties with raw paleodiet will resolve them sooner or later.

best wishes,

Yuri
It’s time to Eat Like An Animal!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2008, 04:08:36 pm »
digestive issues could be enzyme-related. Perhaps an enzyme supplement might improve matters?
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

xylothrill

« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2008, 04:16:27 pm »
I agree. They should at least be taken long enough to give the pancreas a chance to heal. After that, they might not need them any more.
Finding out that humans produce elastase was one of the factors that convinced me that we were meant to consume animal foods - even the tough gristle.

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2008, 04:41:46 pm »
And what enzymes you are talking about?

I tried bee-pollen. I'm not sure it would help so much...

Does not meat contain all necessary enzymes for digestion?

Or are you talking about smth like that http://www.healthy-sunshine.com/nspshopping/shopexd.asp?ID=381

I doubt the appropriateness of taking such supps. Who has the experience in this field?

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 04:36:36 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2008, 06:47:42 pm »
I don't have a problem with eating raw meat and fat on my stomach. I do IF and eat in the evening. My energy is good threw the day (normaly), but I drink alkaline ionized water which does "make" energy...
What I can not understand is my metabolism?

Extra salt? Don't like it with my raw food - but this may be a problem in the mind?

Extra iodine? Have asked about this and have got answers like "meat has iondine".

I can not understand that paleo humans "new" they needed sea weed for iondine! Not all had the sea around the next bend!

People give dogs raw meat and that is not fresh kill - how do they make stomach acid with out extra blood? They don't eat seafood...

Nicola

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2008, 07:54:00 pm »
It's good to hear you are doing well on this diet.

So, I presume mostly of your inquiries are of theoretical value.

As regards the dietary salt for producing of stomach acid all facts seem to prove it is not necessary. There are so many rawpaleo fooders all around who have brilliant results without any extra salt. The same with dogs.

As long as iodine is concerned it may be or may not be an issue for certain folks, depending on the area they live. I mean, this is common understanding that in some parts of the world soils are naturally deficient in iodine or have become so with the time. Thus, plants would be such as well, which will result in meat with low iodine levels. Somewhere else the situation may be quite to the contrary.

Finally, I thought you had some digestive problems as you complained having fat in the stools. But if you still feel good I see no reason be so persistent about these irrelevant issues.

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2008, 09:10:00 pm »
I mentioned "digestion" (this is only stomach) does not seem to bother me (I eat when I can rest) but "metabolism" (this is the whole process after digestion) is not what I would call "dogs poo at the end"!

I notice more than many because I am very sensitive, emotional, am active and have always been light, even very, very light as a result of this (and child-hood abuse). So personality (sensitive, emotional, lifestyle...) is part of digestion and metabolism.

The water (alkaline, ionized water) will also influence digestion and metabolism as well all the other aspects of personality.

So this is my picture and I do not know if the answer is just a, b, c, or a&b&c.

Nicola

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2008, 04:38:36 pm »
And what enzymes you are talking about?

I tried bee-pollen. I'm not sure it would help so much...

Does not meat contain all necessary enzymes for digestion?

Or are you talking about smth like that http://www.healthy-sunshine.com/nspshopping/shopexd.asp?ID=381

I doubt the appropriateness of taking such supps. Who has the experience in this field?

All I can say is that some raw-animal-foodists have resorted to using enzymes while eating the occasional cooked meal. I prefer using high-meat as an alternative, myself. The enzymes used by others either came from raw foods like unripe papaya(?) or from higher-grade enzyme supplements with no additives/minimal processing etc. I've tried bee-pollen and it's not effective in that regard, IMO. As regards enzymes and raw food, I believe(?) all foods even raw require some enzymes from the body, it's just that raw food-digestion requires much less production of enzymes as there are already some enzymes already in the raw meats.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2008, 07:47:28 am »
All I can say is that some raw-animal-foodists have resorted to using enzymes while eating the occasional cooked meal. I prefer using high-meat as an alternative, myself. The enzymes used by others either came from raw foods like unripe papaya(?) or from higher-grade enzyme supplements with no additives/minimal processing etc. I've tried bee-pollen and it's not effective in that regard, IMO. As regards enzymes and raw food, I believe(?) all foods even raw require some enzymes from the body, it's just that raw food-digestion requires much less production of enzymes as there are already some enzymes already in the raw meats.

Agreed, I don't think there's any way you are getting the perfect amount of enzymes to digest food from the raw food itself. Even if somehow it existed in the food, it has been shown that food rapidly loses active enzyme levels, and not many of us can kill an animal and immediately drink it's blood and eat it's flesh. Most people can't even pick their own fruits/vegetables. In this regard an enzyme supplement may be appropriate. If it works and makes you healthier, even if it's not "natural," I say go for it.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2011, 02:30:15 pm »
I digest suet provided it's of good quality. No problems with the other stuff. I love aged kidney.

I know this thread is old, but aged kidney tastes like salt to me too.  I usually dislike all salts, but this saltiness is something special.  It tastes more complete, delicious!
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk