Author Topic: High Meat technique  (Read 11218 times)

Offline SoulJourner

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
High Meat technique
« on: August 05, 2010, 06:29:10 am »
In his book AV mentions that if you go away and your raw meat doesn't get aired enough, you resume where you left off when you return.  Has anyone tried this? I have some meat I have been aging since 4/15 but I keep forgetting to air it. Probably only a few of those weeks have seen it aired every 3 - 4 days, instead it probably happens anywhere from every 3-4 days to 1/week or 1/3 weeks. I have tasted 2 bites, the second time about 2 weeks ago, and held my nose to avoid the smell. The texture was pretty unappealing the second time. I'm wondering if I should toss it and start over, assuming I can find a reminder system to remember to air it. Any one experimented with this?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: High Meat technique
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 05:09:37 pm »
I personally am of the belief that one should just get rid of it and start over if the raw meat hasn't been properly aerated. I usually make sure that the high-meat gets aerated at least once a day so as to ensure sufficient oxygenation. I also seal it in a plastic box so as to ensure enough moisture as if it's too dry, I have to start over again.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline SoulJourner

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 09:15:58 pm »
Tyler, do you find a difference in moisture between meat aged in a mason jar vs. plastic? I usually try to avoid plastic contact with food. I did toss the meat, I realized I could smell it when I opened the refrigerator. I'm going to start a smaller batch next time.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 11:05:14 pm »
Tyler, do you find a difference in moisture between meat aged in a mason jar vs. plastic? I usually try to avoid plastic contact with food. I did toss the meat, I realized I could smell it when I opened the refrigerator. I'm going to start a smaller batch next time.
Only ever used plastic boxes, never mason jars, so don't know.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 12:20:16 am »
Only ever used plastic boxes, never mason jars, so don't know.

Did you put something more natural IN a plastic box, or the meat directly against the plastic?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 01:49:42 am »
    Did you put something more natural IN a plastic box, or the meat directly against the plastic?
The raw meat directly against the plastic.
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 06:44:04 am »
Mason jars for me. We air it basically when we eat it. We started it the beginning of March this year. We don't eat it every day and we have three jars going. One beef, fish and chicken. So at the most we air each once a week and at the least probably once every 2-3 weeks because we generally open one jar at a time and even then we don't really pay attention to which one we open. The stink doesn't bother me although the fish is right at that point.
Cheers
Al

Offline needs_and_wants

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 04:32:53 pm »
raw-al, are you aging in your fridge or countertop? Reckon Im going to give it a try soon and hoping to go the countertop route to speed things up..
feel, beyond the limitations of the mind, through the eyes of the soul

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 09:13:11 pm »
Fridge for us. We gave it a month as AV said for the start.
Cheers
Al

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 12:42:05 am »
You should try to use glass instead of plastic for everything! But especially something like this where the bacteria might possibly feed on toxins from the plastic!

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 12:58:32 am »
raw-al, are you aging in your fridge or countertop? Reckon Im going to give it a try soon and hoping to go the countertop route to speed things up..
How did it work out?
Cheers
Al

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 07:34:43 am »
Anyone know why Aajonus says to use refrigeration to grow the bacteria instead of just leaving at room temp which is much quicker?

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 01:57:18 pm »
Anyone know why Aajonus says to use refrigeration to grow the bacteria instead of just leaving at room temp which is much quicker?
'Cause it's more comfortable, as you can air the meat every 2-3 days when it's refridgerated. When you leave the meat at room temp. you've got to air it much more frequently.
Besides, different kinds of bacteria develop.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 10:22:25 am »
Do you know the differences in the types of bacteria that develop?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 11:57:02 pm »

I think aajonus says if you freeze meat that when the bacteria grow later, they're mutant and e.coli multiply at too speedy of a rate.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 02:40:52 am »
Psychrophilic bacteria develop in lower temperatures, such as those that are in refridgerator.
Mesofilic bacteria develop in higher temperatures, typically between 25 and 40 °C.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 04:13:12 am »
Psychrophilic bacteria develop in lower temperatures, such as those that are in refridgerator.
Mesofilic bacteria develop in higher temperatures, typically between 25 and 40 °C.

Are there different benefits of Psych. vs Meso. bacterias? Is one better then the other you think?
What about meat thats left to get high at temperatures of about 18 Celsius? Will it get both bacteria then?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 04:34:28 am »
    If you like somewhere very hot, how's high meat made with lean meat and thermophilic bacteria at .. say .. 105º Fahrenheit steady? I guess it would have to be a humid place not to dry out, maybe Kuala Lumpur during a hot Summer. 

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 01:48:23 am »
Interesting... it seems like mesofilic bacteria would be more beneficial since they're the ones that are the most active at body temperature... I wonder why Aajonus recommends a longer process to get bacteria that are active at temperatures much lower then body temp...

Offline sanborn

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 11:25:54 pm »
Amen to that, Maximillion!  Yes, definitely use glass. 
As to what happens when you don't air out your high meat for a while - I have found it to be just like Aajonus says in the book.  You can start on it again and pick up right where you left off.  I have about 5 different jars in different stages.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 01:46:38 pm »
Thanks for the interesting questions and info.

Paleos would not have a fridge so why use one now? Is it a case of us moderns not wanting to have hunks of meat sitting around?
Cheers
Al

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk