Author Topic: Woops! Ran into raw paleo info and didn't even mean to.  (Read 5014 times)

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Woops! Ran into raw paleo info and didn't even mean to.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 05:30:34 pm »
gobbledygook?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 06:20:06 pm »
The article made no sense to me.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 06:29:29 pm »
The article made no sense to me.
Basically it said that a certain gene that humans have that apes and chimps don't, allow us to handle inflammation and cholesterol better. It also increased our lifespan significantly and made our immune systems stronger. The disadvantage is higher occurrence of certain diseases but the article is basically saying humans are adapted to eating raw meat and in the process of evolving to do so we also increased our lifespan and immune function.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 12:52:58 am »
The problem with most theories of this type, and the author does admit that it is just a hypothesis , is that it tries to extrapolate the macro from the micro.  He looks at one gene in isolation and then expands what he believes the function of that gene to be to encompass the basis for how the whole organism works.

The problem with this is that nothing in our bodies is isolated and every gene, system, and hormone interact in multiple complex ways with every other gene, system, and hormone.  What happens is that we try to manipulate a single gene or function and are suddenly faced with unintended and unforeseen consequences – most of which are bad. 

Our bodies act like a complex crowd of people.  We have no idea what any given person (the micro) will do confronted with a specific stimulus, but we can accurately predict the general reaction of the whole (the macro).  So it is with our bodies.  We have great trouble accurately predicting the long term effects of manipulating a specific gene or hormone, however, the long term effects, the symptoms of which can vary markedly between individuals, can be seen on the whole organism or across a general population.

I suppose we have to start somewhere, but it is clear that the current process of looking for a single gene, hormone, or chemical that can be manipulated to solve a given problem has not been overly effective.  As a grand example, we may successfully reduce cholesterol to what modern science thinks is a ‘safe’ level, but the patient ends up with many complications significantly affecting quality of life, and lifespan is not increased beyond what would normally be expected and may actually be shortened. 

We study whole populations to observe a problem or trend and then try to fix it with a single targeted solution.  If life functions were this simplistic all life would have been wiped eons ago by the first environmental stressor and never evolved to its current state, but such is the state of current research. 

Lex

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 11:16:19 pm »
I believe that the genetic adaptions that allowed early hominids to thrive off of raw meat were already embedded into our genetic code from an earlyer era where primates evolved from a weasel type carnivorous creature (very primitive insectivores). These carnivorous adaption genes were stowed away in a dormant state until the environmental necessity of their reactivation became emergent. The genes became reactivated in our early ancestors and along with some other mutations, created the perfect storm of conditions which allowed for the development of the human mind(a true miracle or random coincidence)

Most other proto primates had to readapt to live as herbivores, as part of the evolution possess and were evolutionary confined to the smaller brained herbivore paradime, where as our ancestors took a different more meat eatting path which led to the creation of the intelligence we are indowed with(or cursed with) . There must have been many evolutionary adaptive swings in the proto-primate ancestors  between carnivore, omnivore and herbivore diets. All of which leads me to believe that humans who undamaged by modern circumstances are more like omnivores,and that in order to attain optimal health must eat a large amount of quality meat along with some forraged organic plantfodder.

Although people like me with a damaged ability to possess plant carbs can do well to rely on those throwback genes from our carnivorous weasel(insect eatting) ancestors to live off of an almost completely carnivorous diet.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 11:47:51 pm by sabertooth »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk