Author Topic: Why Does Sugar Taste So Good?  (Read 16379 times)

Offline ThatWasJustYourLife84

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Why Does Sugar Taste So Good?
« on: August 22, 2010, 10:53:39 am »
Anyone know?

We all know processed sugar is poison. Some of us believe all carbs are poison.

I'm just wondering. I'm going through some craving issues, so this topic came up.

This is HILARIOUS. I've been daydreaming of taking a Baskin Robbibns mint chocolate chip milk shake and blenderizing reese's peanut butter cups into it and drinking. We also had some sugar cookies given to us at work today, which obviously I can't eat, and I really wanted one.

Why is it that fruits and sugars taste so good, but are so bad for us? That's confusing!

Raw meat tastes incredible to me, but is healthy for me. It's like nature's ultimate double standard.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
Re: Why Does Sugar Taste So Good?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 04:46:56 pm »
Because humans refine it and retard it to make it more appealing to us, but the side-effects of such denaturing is unhealthy.  It's why so many people eat so much bad food and are so unhealthy.. I mean, everyone knows fast food is horrible for you, and yet they all continue to eat it. 

I've been having some cravings too lately, though, oh man I wanted a chocolate cake so bad the other night that if someone had put one in front of me I would have eaten it, especially if I had some raw milk to wash it down with.. and I think even just today, I was thinking how much more deliciously awesome that chocolate milk would taste with the sweeter and creamier raw milk than with pasteurized.

I still eat fruit to keep my craving for sugar down though, I do so love fruit.  I'm also going to look into finding some raw unheated honeycomb, too, maybe you could try to find some to help with your cravings of sugar?

I also have the problem that water tends to dry out my mouth and throat sometimes.  Sugary drinks like juices and sodas never gave me that problem, so when I drink water and it dries out my mouth, I start craving more fruits and sugars to help quench my thirst.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 07:59:54 pm »
Cooked/processed foods(and raw non-palaeo foods) contain addictive opioids which work on the brain and cause increases in feel-good hormones like endorphins etc. So they give an illusory, drugged feeling which makes one have cravings etc.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 04:17:24 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline ThatWasJustYourLife84

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 08:58:04 pm »
Because humans refine it and retard it to make it more appealing to us, but the side-effects of such denaturing is unhealthy.  It's why so many people eat so much bad food and are so unhealthy.. I mean, everyone knows fast food is horrible for you, and yet they all continue to eat it. 

I've been having some cravings too lately, though, oh man I wanted a chocolate cake so bad the other night that if someone had put one in front of me I would have eaten it, especially if I had some raw milk to wash it down with.. and I think even just today, I was thinking how much more deliciously awesome that chocolate milk would taste with the sweeter and creamier raw milk than with pasteurized.

I still eat fruit to keep my craving for sugar down though, I do so love fruit.  I'm also going to look into finding some raw unheated honeycomb, too, maybe you could try to find some to help with your cravings of sugar?

I also have the problem that water tends to dry out my mouth and throat sometimes.  Sugary drinks like juices and sodas never gave me that problem, so when I drink water and it dries out my mouth, I start craving more fruits and sugars to help quench my thirst.

I can't tolerate carbohydrates in any form.

I tried eating a bell pepper a while back which has a minimal amount of sugar and fiber in it, and I got severe pancreatic pains like my pancreas couldn't handle it and I got really bad hypoglycemia later on because of it.

I know that resting my pancreas and proper nourishment will likely spark a healing reaction in my damaged organs, but I'm not there yet. Until then I have to avoid carbs as much as possible.

Though my mouth does water at the thought of honey I have to admit.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 09:17:39 pm »
It is learned. I have been Zero Carb for 1.5 months now and sugar / fruit (same thing) has no appeal to me. Never. You want it if you convince yourself you want or need it.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 12:44:21 am »
months=typo of years?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 05:42:04 am »
You are trained to think it tastes good. I've been PURE ZC for 1.5 years now this August 16th. Sugar means nothing to me. When I'm hungry, I want meat and eggs.

Offline deletemyaccount

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 05:55:56 am »
I'm eating raw zero carb... my only vice is chewing on coconut meat and spitting out the pulp. That satisfies any sweet cravings that I have, which are almost nonexistent. After going on a raw meat, seafood, and eggs diet, even butter tastes like sugar to my taste buds. I also find raw chilean sea bass taste sweet which is kind of weird since it's a fish. I guess the buttery taste makes is seem so sweet.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 04:21:31 am »
Yes, Miles, thanks. For one year and five months I have been pure ZC.

Offline infinitenexus

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 05:53:54 am »
Here's my opinion:  Wild fruits were eaten only when in season (obviously) which was right before the start of fall/winter/general coldness.  On a raw zero carb diet, if you suddenly throw in some carbs, you'll gain weight.  That weight gain helped insulate early humans a bit in the winter, at least until it burned off.  Sugar, and sugary things such as fruits and honey, tasting as good as they do would encourage early humans to eat them, which would help them survive harsher winters.  So I think it's evolutionary, we evolved to like the taste of sugar (even if we don't crave it) for survivability reasons.  But again, that is only my opinion.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 09:09:46 am »
Here's my opinion:  Wild fruits were eaten only when in season (obviously) which was right before the start of fall/winter/general coldness. 
now i feel like that too. i feel to eat melons in season and berries in season. but my appetite for fruits are ultimately decline in the winter. i feel for more meat in cold climate.
bugs or country chickens

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 01:37:39 am »
What if you live in a tropical or subtropical climate? Humans supposedly originate from a region with a tropical climate, don't they?
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 03:13:32 am »
now i feel like that too. i feel to eat melons in season and berries in season. but my appetite for fruits are ultimately decline in the winter. i feel for more meat in cold climate.

I think it is more natural to eat more meat in winter because meat has a warming effect.
While fruits have a cooling effect.

My friend professional healer uses white sugar under the tongue, sub-lingual for sick patients who seem to lack sugar in the brain.  It works.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 03:15:53 am »
Ayurveda defines sweet as one of the 6 tastes. Sugar is not the only food that is sweet, it is just a concentrated version. Refined sugar is very concentrated. Alcohol is (considered by Ayurveda) super concentrated sweet. I could not find an online listing of foods and their respective tastes but pork and chicken are considered sweet.

If you do pork out on some bad ideas here is a small listing of the antidotes;

Chocolate - Stimulant: acts to depress the system  -  cardamom or cumin
Sweets - increases congestion  - dry ginger powder
Tobacco - aggravates pitta and stimulates vata  - gotu kola, calamus root or celery seeds
Caffeine stimulant: has after-affect of depression - nutmeg powder with cardamon
Alcohol - Stimulant: depressant effect - chew 1/4 tsp cumin seed or 1 - 2 cardamom seeds
Ice cream - increases mucous, causes congestion - clove or cardamom
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 03:23:47 am »
I think it is more natural to eat more meat in winter because meat has a warming effect.

My friend professional healer uses white sugar under the tongue, sub-lingual for sick patients who seem to lack sugar in the brain.  It works.
That's exactly the same as Ayurveda says. Your brain is bathed in a sweet fat. That's why children like and should get plenty of sweet, both in food and emotional sweetness. But not refined sweet as it is addictive and bad news.

Tyler,
Ayurveda says the same as you did, couched in different terms. When you refine something (such as sugar) (which in most cases involves some sort of cooking) you remove part of the innate intelligence of the plant or animal. The sugar for instance has a complete immune system as it comes from the plant. When you consume the food you take on not just the vitamins and minerals, but the organizing intelligence of every cell and it's constituent parts including the DNA. Cooking destroys that innate intelligence. This is difficult to explain without getting into a very long post.

That is why as some have noted here, fruits etc are best eaten in season. The intelligence/immune system of the food when in season, locally is created by the plant/animal to deal with the same season that you/it are experiencing, ie cold/hot/dry/wet weather. It creates strategies from it's immune system's arsenal to help it cope. When you eat it you take on the plant/animal's natural intelligence and incorporate it as your own, thus bolstering your immune system with the remnants of theirs.

Your body has a natural method of selection of food. It is called desire, like the desire that pregnant women report having crazy food requests. Something in the food is required by the body. Refining foods can fool this innate immune system. I like a variety of foods and if I just try to eat what I bought my stomach rebels after too many days of one one meat for instance as it says in effect "I've had enough thank you, I need other nutrients.
Cheers
Al

Offline Arthas_

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 05:24:30 am »
Why does fatty meat taste so good?

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 05:37:17 am »
Your body must need the fat.
Cheers
Al

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 07:42:50 am »
Why does fatty meat taste so good?

it's good for you.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 07:42:39 pm »

My friend professional healer uses white sugar under the tongue, sub-lingual for sick patients who seem to lack sugar in the brain.  It works.

This is something I have been thinking for few days. I have been doing low carbing extensively for few months now. But just few days ago I catched a cold and I couldn't stop eating. I'm so hungry when I get a cold or fever. But during that time I actually ate lots of fruits and also I ate lots of home made oatmeal cookies (oats, 225g butter, few eggs and small amounts of sugar). I know this is nothing that I have used to eat for over 6 months now but I was craving these and felt boost in mental energy after stuffing myself with these oatmeal cookies. Now I'm thinking that could my brain need more glycose to be running efficiently ? I don't tolerate fruits well. I don't feel well after eating fruits. Maybe there is some fruit that I can tolerate but most common fruits make me feel bad. Although simple sugar like brown sugar makes me feel gooood!

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 06:19:07 am »
A craving for fruit is really just dehydration. Drink water, eat meat, problem solved.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 03:53:16 pm »
A craving for fruit is really just dehydration. Drink water, eat meat, problem solved.

I drink lots of water and eat meat, yet I still get cravings for fruit as if I'm thirsty, no matter how much water I drink.  But water tends to dry out the back of my throat, whereas the fruit is so juicy and delicious and quenching.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 04:43:41 pm »
I concur.

Francois
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Arthas_

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 06:13:11 am »
I drink lots of water and eat meat, yet I still get cravings for fruit as if I'm thirsty, no matter how much water I drink.  But water tends to dry out the back of my throat, whereas the fruit is so juicy and delicious and quenching.

I bet the problem is low fat intake. When I eat my meat first and don't eat enough fat, I tend to evereat. Though eating the fat first, my stored meat becomes high, if you know what I mean. By enough fat, I mean a lot of it. I eat at least 400g of back fat, which I guess is about 200g of pure fat.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 07:19:33 am »
I bet the problem is low fat intake. When I eat my meat first and don't eat enough fat, I tend to evereat. Though eating the fat first, my stored meat becomes high, if you know what I mean. By enough fat, I mean a lot of it. I eat at least 400g of back fat, which I guess is about 200g of pure fat.

Hm, could be, I still haven't been able to find a source of grass-fed fat, only grain-fed fat trimmings which i actually don't even eat as often as I should.  I only like fat when it's warm, and it's kinda hard to get it nice and warm when you can't bring it out of your room.  Then it gets really stinky if I don't end up eating it (which I never end up eating it all.) and is kind of a hassle.  I'm super lazy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk