Author Topic: I want to order organ meats from Northstar Bison in a couple months , any tips??  (Read 6652 times)

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
Hi I'd like to order some grass fed and grass finished organ meats in the near future. Maybe in 1 or 2 months. I'd definately like to order liver.  Maybe heart and tongue. Any others that are good?

Now, I'd like some tips on ordering and delivery.

Should I just get a whole bunch of organ meats and stock it in the freezer so I don't have to order more again and pay additional shipping charges?

Also, what kind of delivery options have people experienced success with? If the company(prospectively I'd order from Northstar Bison,) can do 1 day ($20), 2 day($15), and ground shipping ($15)....it seems it would be a waste to pick ground shipping over 2 day.

Should I go with 1 day shipping or will the organ meats stay frozen for the entire shipment if I picked 2 day shipping?

I plan to order this shipment in the winter so it is nice and cold outside.

If I do order in the summer, is it best to get 1 day delivery?

Should I order it prefrozen or fresh? Is their fresh simply thawed meat or is it actually fresh?

Should I get "lamb fat"?  

Currently I don't get much raw animal fats in my diet

Bobby
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 11:17:34 am by bharminder »

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
    I think they slaughter on Thursdays.  I don't think they slaughter many animals at a time, so .. they can tell you little things, like if a male or female will be slaughtered that week.  If you contact them ahead of a Thursday?  They can sell you fresh not having been frozen ever, providing they are slaughtering what you want etc.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
Ok I'll contact them when I plan to order.

Do organs freeze well? Considering their $20 shipping charge, I think I should get prefrozen organ meats.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
    Any time I've ever ordered from anyone, I have always clearly specified that I am a primal dieter and only use fresh and only want fresh (not frozen).  I've never eaten frozen organs, except .. the WFM by me rarely ever has fresh liver.  After months, I broke down to buy frozen beef liver.  It wasn't bad.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
That's good. Fresh is definately the better option.

um since I want to order extra because of the $20 shipping charge, are frozen organs better than not eating organs at all?

Should I order the organs mostly prefrozen and a few fresh(the ones i plan to eat immediately) or everything fresh and then freeze it upon arrival?    uhh, again are frozen organs better than no organs?

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
I almost always eat frozen stuff and don't consider it a big deal. What you could do is order a certain amount that you think you can eat in a week or so fresh and then whatever else you want in that order for shipping convenience and savings purposes frozen.

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
lright I don't think it's a big deal either to eat the frozen stuff. So, do you think it's better to buy fresh organ food and then freeze it upon delivery, or should I buy the prefrozen organs and then stick it "back" in the freezer upon arrival.

Bobby
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 09:38:56 am by bharminder »

Offline Rob

• Trapper
    • View Profile
If you're going to freeze it you probably want it pre-frozen. Ask if the flash freeze. If they do, this is less damaging than freezing it yourself.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
i want to start buying the pet food as my organ meat like lex. after buying almost entire grass fed cow for every month for my entire family, still i'm not consuming enough of these organs. i give my son 1st (the best parts), than i feed my husband, and i eat all left over one like muscle meats. i think this is ridiculous, when i'm paying my fortune every month like that. my parents, like my mom eats raw meat and my brother , uncle and aunt eat cooked meat. :(
bugs or country chickens

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
Well I made a order and received it today. I ordered some liver, a pancreas, a kidney, some hearts, and some back fat..all from bison.

I blended the liver in some raw milk and added honey, it tasted good.

The back fat was also very creamy, soft, and good. No connective tissue, which was nice. I haven't tried anything else. Other than the fat I'm gonna take it easy with the organs, maybe just once every 1.5 weeks or so.

I'd like to eat more of the fat but didn't get much so I'll probably try to make that last too, but not out of any nutritional reason.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk