Author Topic: Eating Raw Animal Foods in public  (Read 14839 times)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Eating Raw Animal Foods in public
« on: August 17, 2008, 05:36:32 pm »
Post your eating raw animal foods in public experiences here...

Looked at strangely while eating raw meat at a beef broth restaurant

Me and 2 friends were in a beef broth restaurant / bulaluhan this afternoon.  I had been experiencing stomach discomfort with cooked food so no way would I want to sabotage my health by agreeing to eat out.  So I went to the kitchen and asked the staff to find me bone marrow in their freezer and cut me up some meat.  We finally got enough bone marrow and I left it up to them to cut up some meat.  I explained to her that I can’t eat cooked meat as I get upset stomach by doing so.

My soup arrived.  And a plate of my raw beef marrow and some muscle arrived.  Now to taste the raw material if they had good beef.  By now I could taste and identify if raw beef was good or not.  I was not let down.  The raw material was good stuff.  I had a good meal.  Though my friends said that people were looking at me while I was eating my beef raw.  I said at least I looked normal as I sipped my soup.

So this little public display shows that raw beef eating is a rare thing.  One of my friends was embarrassed and told me that maybe it’s not a good idea for me to eat in public like that again, people might think I’m some kind of monster.

I told my indian friend that the raw beef I ate was safe for the cancer sick, and the cooked beef everybody eats is unsafe for the cancer sick,  and eating cooked beef is what the public thinks is civilized.

Taken from: http://www.myhealthblog.org/2008/08/17/looked-at-strangely-while-eating-raw-meat-at-a-beef-broth-restaurant/
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Eating Raw Animal Foods in public
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 05:45:19 pm »
Well, some raw animal foods I don't mind eating in public(eg:-  raw oysters or  sashimi or steak-tartare or ceviche), but I draw the line at eating things like wild-hare carcasses or  marrow, as they are so messy to deal with - and people are so limited as regards raw animal foods, that it's not usually a good idea to flaunt my unusual diet too much, except in more socially-acceptable ways such as when eating sashimi in restaurants.

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 09:18:40 pm »
It sucks how brainwashed people are currently. In order to enjoy healthy food in public you have to get looked at like a monster.  :( Hopefully people will get smarter.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 11:46:01 pm »
I have a humorous story about eating raw in public.  When I first went paleo I was still working.  For lunch I would often have a small salad with raw or very rare shredded meat in it.  One day one of the secrateries sat down at my table in the lunch room and when she saw what I was eating she said "Boy you sure like a lot of tomato in your salad!"  I just smiled and kept eating.

Lex

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 11:54:22 pm »
I have a humorous story about eating raw in public.  When I first went paleo I was still working.  For lunch I would often have a small salad with raw or very rare shredded meat in it.  One day one of the secrateries sat down at my table in the lunch room and when she saw what I was eating she said "Boy you sure like a lot of tomato in your salad!"  I just smiled and kept eating.

Lex
:D this story makes me smile..

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 12:14:08 am »
Great stories! Lots of fellow college students used to think I was pretty crazy for eating glass containers full of raw turkey meat in the hallway. But I've always been a kind of strange person to most others anyway so I'm used to it.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 12:15:43 am »
I'm sure I will have some stories coming this fall!  :D
Right now all I have to deal with is my parents

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 01:09:43 am »
Great stories! Lots of fellow college students used to think I was pretty crazy for eating glass containers full of raw turkey meat in the hallway. But I've always been a kind of strange person to most others anyway so I'm used to it.
How is turkey? Texture and taste?

Offline PaleoKyle

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 07:22:44 am »
I usually take a glass container with me each day filled to the brim with meat and fat. When I am hungry I will go to a park and sit down and eat. I have never had a problem. I think people would not believe someone was eating raw meat even if they saw what it was....it is just to scary and real for them. The only problem I would have is if the gestapo searched my bag...considering they harassed me for carrying water in glass bottles  ::) the last time I was searched.

I also like to eat this way because by the time I do eat, my food is nice and warm. When I get home and eat I never give it enough time to warm to room temperature.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 07:24:51 am by PaleoKyle »

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 12:58:32 am »
So I have a story to share!
Three of my friends all live in a house together and I went over there last night. I told my friend before I came that I was going to bring meat and eat it raw. He said "That's weird, but okay."  Apparently he thought I was kidding.

So I got to their house, and they still could not believe that I was going to eat my meat raw. They said they kept thinking that I was kidding, that I wasn't really going to do it.

They totally freaked out when they watched me take the first bite. I told them about how I ate raw organs as well. They told me they wanted to film me doing it and put it up on YouTube. But all while I was eating, they were asking me questions, and I told them about the Raw Paleo diet. They just didn't get it and kept telling me what I was doing was unsanitary and "Why don't you just cook it?". Then one of them said "Who wants some honeybuns?" and they ate those    *rolls eyes*

I told them that I really really like raw meat, and that I crave it. When they saw that I actually really liked it, they said "Well, if you really like it, then more power to you!"
One of them even tried a small bit of my raw meat when the other two weren't looking. It was hilarious actually, because he was being so weird about it.

Also, I ate raw meat in front of one of my suite-mates yesterday. I said "are you going to be grossed out if I eat this raw?" and he said "no, are you really going to?"
He asked me if it was safe, and I said yes and explained about grass-fed beef. He didn't really act like it was very strange at all, which was cool.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 01:15:52 am »
Boxcarguy, I would suggest not to promote this diet, overly. I don't think you should hide away in your kitchen and eat RAF, either,  but the vast majority of people are very limited and closed-minded about this subject, so it's best to be discreet and just mention it if asked, IMO.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 01:22:54 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 01:26:01 am »
Well, I don't go telling people randomly that I eat raw meat  :)
These guys are really good friends of mine, and I was asked to come over. They are used to me bringing my own food over to their house, and I knew I was gonna be hungry and needed food, so I brought what I usually eat.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 01:35:36 am »
What I mean is, even with people you know, it's probably best to eat more socially-acceptable raw animal foods in their presence such as sashimi(raw fish), raw eggs, steak tartare.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 03:49:11 am by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 03:34:04 am »
Just wondering, why?
Just because of what people might think?

Satya

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 04:40:29 am »
Just wondering, why?

Do you care what people think, Keith?  I tend not to in my personal life.  I used to eat chicken livers or yogurt and apple for lunch as a teen.  People thought it super weird, but I did not care.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 04:50:21 am »
Just wondering, why?

What I mean is that people tend to get on with each other, partly because they have things in common. The more "out-of-step" you are with others, the more difficult it is to handle them. Eccentricity is usually only condoned if you've got a lot of material wealth - if you're a multimillionaire you don't have to care what others think.

In the case of RAFers, I don't think there's a single case of a RAFer, married to a non-RAFer, who eats a 100% raw diet, for example. We all have to make compromises.
" Ron Paul.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 06:08:12 am »
What I mean is that people tend to get on with each other, partly because they have things in common. The more "out-of-step" you are with others, the more difficult it is to handle them. Eccentricity is usually only condoned if you've got a lot of material wealth - if you're a multimillionaire you don't have to care what others think.

In the case of RAFers, I don't think there's a single case of a RAFer, married to a non-RAFer, who eats a 100% raw diet, for example. We all have to make compromises.

I don't have to care what others think even without a lot of material wealth. In fact, I don't.

I don't go out of my way to tell people about what I eat or advertise it, but I don't hide it either. I'm not ashamed of it, and don't act as if I were.
So far the people who I've told/who have found out have been generally pretty accepting.

If someone thinks I'm weird for eating RAF, well, they probably would have thought I was weird anyway. And if someone doesn't want to be my friend because they think I'm weird, well that's completely fine with me.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 10:55:11 am »
I think would be a bit easier to be eccentric if your mega rich, good looking, famous.

Quite a few of my friends know what I eat and some have tried to save me! because you know, what I eat is dangerous and will die from germs, scurvy blah blah blah even though they will also tell me how good I look. The problem is it's way to far out of most peoples comprehension and understandably so!

Some friends/family I do hide it from because they are not open minded enough or too old to comprehend. I also don't really like people to look in my fridge to see theres only meat and water in there , it looks kinda strange! I've thought about putting the bottle of coke, fruits veges, long life milk etc to make it look more normal (my brother uses my house and rang me up to tell me was starving and there's nothing to eat in my house but meat! hee hee)

I'm lucky family eats raw now, mum eats raw liver, eggs, suet, milk and butter but she will make up elaborate recipes and presentations which I find funny! definitley a girly thing..! she eats mainly cooked weston price type meals.  She's a good sport and looks great for her age. My brother also eats raw meat and suet but works away so finds it difficult, he is into lifting weights and is keen to get started and is always asking me questions about it.

So I eat raw in front of my family and some friends. I haven't had anyone scream and run away...yet :D
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 05:21:54 am »
That's awesome your family is coming around to raw foods! And yes being eccentric does in my mind seem to be easier should I be rich and/or famous.

Offline Carnál

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 03:08:34 pm »
I usually take a glass container with me each day filled to the brim with meat and fat. When I am hungry I will go to a park and sit down and eat. I have never had a problem. I think people would not believe someone was eating raw meat even if they saw what it was....it is just to scary and real for them. The only problem I would have is if the gestapo searched my bag...considering they harassed me for carrying water in glass bottles  ::) the last time I was searched.

I also like to eat this way because by the time I do eat, my food is nice and warm. When I get home and eat I never give it enough time to warm to room temperature.

Do they search you often?  I don't like them treating people like that, just because they have nothing better to do or because of more of their other reasons to start trouble where there isn't any.  I'm sure they didn't really suspect you might be carrying bottles to later use as weapons, they're just afraid to stop real criminals.

I wait too long to shop sometimes.  I've sat on one of the parklike benches outside the gourmet store where I buy my raw meat, and eaten my raw calf's liver straight out of the packaging.  Two ladies walked by eating Baskin and Robbin chatting, and I nonchalantly held my food down for the moment as they passed, so they wouldn't notice what I was eating if they happened to glance in my direction.  Who knows?  Maybe they would have thought I was eating something else, especially since it was dark and evening.  And I thought to myself how out of shape they were and what they were eating, but they would have gasped at my food.  There were outdoor café like tables too several yards away with people eating at them, but there are wide bricked columns in between, so I knew they wouldn't see.

Usually I can wait till I get home to eat or somewhere else where the food is still a little cold.  I don't mind eating cold (raw) meat at all, it might be a little cold on my hands though if I haven't eaten enough fat first.  Anyway, I was spending time with my friend who was in hospital in bed there.  I had to stay much time because they probably belonged in ICU or home or hospice; because they were in very serious position and the hospital staff was neglecting them terribly and they knew it.  So, I had my raw meat in a baggy.  When there finally was time I could take a break, I went to the luncheonette across the street with some family members and while they ate luncheonette food I ate raw meat at the table right in front of them.  It was warm, and late.  You have to be thankful for every little good thing.  They were totally cool with me eating it there, it was a nice experience (even though I was concerned about my friend's health).

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 07:32:42 am »
alright, i dont personally eat my raw meat in public, but i had a pretty neat experience the other day. i was at the austin farmer's market with my dad and we saw this guy sitting by the playground eating raw chicken right out in the open. it was very bizarre and i had to look twice, but he just had a bag of raw chicken that im assuming he just bought at the farmer's market and was ripping it apart with bare hands and eating it. i was very impressed and wanted to go talk to him cuz i've never met another rpd'er, but my dad was there and we were in a hurry. anyways, for all i know, that guy could be on this forum, so if he is, let's meet up!

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2008, 10:07:15 am »
I find airports to be the most impossible place to find decent food.  Fruit is about it, but 6-8hrs of travel leaves me wanting for a bit more.  So one time I picked up some ground beef on the way to the airport, got through security fine.  I didn't want to draw attention so I got a large cup and put it in there, and ate in quick bites when no one was looking.  I've also brought eggs and ate them quickly in the restroom.  I guess a few guys saw, but whatever. 

If I'm having a discussion about diet, I usually try and stress the problems with grains, preservatives, and processed food.  I'll start talking raw when the person seems open minded.  And then I'll usually mention sushi, oysters, eggs, rare steak and tartar to point out that it's really not as crazy as it sounds at first.  But no matter what, I always point out that the biggest culprits are grains, preservatives, and processed food; and make mention of genetics and paleo-diet.  I figure maybe they'll go look it up and move just a step closer to paleo.   

Haha, then sometimes before I've ever mentioned any of this, and it's obvious the person is close minded, I'll recommend something 'crazy' like raw chicken as an antidote to their ailments, but never tell them about my diet. 

I was in Walgreens the other day getting water for my car, got in line, and this lady in front of me looked terrible: overweight, sagging face, confused eyes.  Under her right arm was a 12 pack of soda, and in her left was a basket full of sweet tarts, milk duds, and every type of candy-bar known to man.  So she grabs a packet of cold medicine as a last item before checking out.  I can't contain myself at this point; "Not feeling so good?"  She replies, "I've heard this is great stuff for a cold," I simply said, "Oranges and honey."  She informed me that did not work for her, and I left it at that.  A few minutes later I passed her in the parking lot and said, "If you put life in the body, you will get life back from the body."  She said "yeah I know."  ... she had no idea.   

When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2008, 02:48:30 am »
How is turkey? Texture and taste?

Better than chicken imo.

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2008, 11:04:27 pm »
I like to snack on raw fruits, vegetables, and meat throughout the day instead of three big meals. It keeps my energy level and mood constant and is more in line with how our paleo ancestors ate.

To not look weird I dry meat, poultry, and fish at a low temperature (100 degrees) with a spice rub (no salt) in a dehydrator. It is then cut into bite-size chunks that look like jerky. I keep it in a little sandwich bag and whenever I feel the hungry I just pop a piece in my mouth. I enjoy chewing the gristle like gum.

The meat will get moldy if not refrigerated, so take care if you try this. I am uncertain about the health risks of the mold.

I have offered my "jerky" to co-workers who all love it, however if I tell them it is raw meat they freak out; life is strange.
Naturally, Don

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 12:37:09 am »
I like to snack on raw fruits, vegetables, and meat throughout the day instead of three big meals. It keeps my energy level and mood constant and is more in line with how our paleo ancestors ate.

I think their meals were more similar to lions and other carnivores.
Occasional big meals, when they made a kill of an animal they probably just gorged themselves.

Eating throughout the day is more similar to how herbivores eat. Like grazers such as cows, which chew cud. Also, foragers like elephants and white tailed deer eat through the day.

Meat and fat is more calorie dense than most available plants such as leaves, stems & shoots. So snacking throughout the day probably wouldn't be necessary.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk