Author Topic: Dandruff  (Read 11758 times)

Offline Coatue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Dandruff
« on: November 07, 2010, 04:28:26 am »
what is the best solution for dandruff? Ive been raw paleo but perhaps I need to go RAF strictly? Can I assume its Candida at this point?

Offline the PresiDenT

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Dandruff
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 05:46:05 am »
i had it accompanied with itchy thighs/arms. its a lack of vitamin A. eat lots of grassfed liver. there is a label for Vit A deficiancy http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=106
The price is wrong Bob

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 10:03:39 am »
i had it accompanied with itchy thighs/arms. its a lack of vitamin A. eat lots of grassfed liver. there is a label for Vit A deficiancy http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=106

I don't think it's always that simple. I've been eating raw for almost 3 years, and there's no way I have VitA deficiency, but I get dandruff if I go for several weeks without washing my hair. (And washing immediately removes the dandruff).

Back when I ate SAD, I had dandruff all the time, despite showering every day.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 10:11:19 am »
I had some hardy dandruff in the late spring/early summer. I was also not only not washing my hair but not even wetting it with water. I think largely its an indicator of a fungal imbalance on some level, but that isn't always meaningful because virtually everyone has some kind of fungal stuff to a degree. I'm pretty confident that getting rid of any uncessary carbs..and just being consistant and healthy helped, but the more cosmetic stuff (like washing) should be a helpful too. I believe there is another thread on this. Sun seems to exacerbate it at first but should be long term good. Even when I still don't wash/wet my hair I never see any anymore, so I believe the diet link is fairly accurate for me, but I don't think its Vitamin related or related necessarily to other skin stuff.

Offline Coatue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 01:17:44 pm »
Since Coconut oil is recommended for dry scalp and hair. Would melting butter or animal fat and rubbing into hair work?

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 08:30:49 pm »
Since Coconut oil is recommended for dry scalp and hair. Would melting butter or animal fat and rubbing into hair work?

Keep in mind that butter and animal fat have much higher melting points than coconut oil. So after you rub it in and it cools down and solidifies, it might not look very pretty. Also, animal fat would have a strong smell. So if you want to try this, I suggest you do it on a day when you plan to stay at home.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 12:02:33 am »
If you have access to an Indian grocery store get some Fenugreek leaves, soak them in water and rub the water in your hair.
Whatever you do avoid shampoos. I blame the use of Head n Sholders shampoo for my hair loss. A friend of my mother's suggested it for dandruff.
Cheers
Al

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 12:16:45 am »
If you have access to an Indian grocery store get some Fenugreek leaves, soak them in water and rub the water in your hair.
Whatever you do avoid shampoos. I blame the use of Head n Sholders shampoo for my hair loss. A friend of my mother's suggested it for dandruff.

Doubtful, hairloss comes from the inside.

And my father, has used Head and shoulders for 20 years, every day and he has a full head of hair.

Not that I don't think that stuff is poison. Just sayin'
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 12:38:26 am »
Doubtful, hairloss comes from the inside.

And my father, has used Head and shoulders for 20 years, every day and he has a full head of hair.

Not that I don't think that stuff is poison. Just sayin'
Mileage may vary for different individuals. If someone has very fine hair (like me) then a harsh shampoo will be enough to do the damage that causes the loss. I suspect that my hairloss was a combination of a number of factors;

1. Head n Shoulders,
2. Drinking pasteurized dairy
3. Excessive heat from wearing motorcycle helmet

because these three aspects were predominant at the time I lost my hair.

There are theories that an excess of testosterone is a contributing factor, but since I have never eaten testosterone  ;D I can only assume that something in my diet or posture has triggered the production of it. Could also be related to sleeping patterns as is suggested by the book "Lights Out". Who knows.....
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 11:03:12 pm »
Cheers
Al

Offline veronicaZora

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 07:24:00 pm »
Dandruff caused by many reasons. I've also dandruff. I think Lemon, Fenugeek, Beet and Soap Bark are finest options for Dandruff. First you have to clean your scalp. I can with assurance say that olive oil's not going to cure your dandruff and in the same way apple cider vinegar is not going to cure your dandruff.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk