Author Topic: Oysters, Good and Bad Ones?  (Read 17418 times)

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Oysters, Good and Bad Ones?
« on: November 08, 2010, 07:16:46 am »
I had some oysters today.

Once before I had an oysters with black spots on the inside. I didn't eat it. Thought it was suspicious.

Today, I had an 4 osyters, 1 was fresh and nice, 2 were diff and tasted like old pond water, the last one was ok but i saw the black spots.

It seems hit or miss sometimes.

Any insight?

Edit: The bad ones tasted almost like clams, like bitter or something. Well not bitter, but that one taste if you know what I mean.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Oysters, Good and Bad Ones?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 07:22:31 am »
I only dislike raw oysters which are more than 5 days old, since sale. Otherwise I love the stuff.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 07:27:28 am »
I only dislike raw oysters which are more than 5 days old, since sale. Otherwise I love the stuff.
I see, but the lack spots etc. Maybe the oyster died?
A disease? Crack in the shell?

They are great fresh. Amazing taste. Large scallops too.
I hear some things are coated with a sodium preservative though.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 07:36:13 am »
I think ALL raw shellfish should be left rawish and fresh.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 07:46:19 am »
I once ordered oysters in a Florida restaurant. They were tasteless, like having been washed in soft-water. Very different than the oyster we have here in France.

If the oyster smells good, it's good. If it's dead, it quickly starts to stink. Black spots inside, I don't know. There can be some colored spots on the inside of the shell I think. I don't really care about it.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 08:07:49 am »
Black spots inside, I don't know. There can be some colored spots on the inside of the shell I think. I don't really care about it.
I will try to get a pic next time. I already threw the shells out.

But there are ones that have spots that look sespicious. These are the ones that taste off or different. So I don't eat them.

The good ones are.....good.  :)

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 10:47:42 am »
I hear some things are coated with a sodium preservative though.

really?!?  so frustrating!!  are they labeled as such?

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 11:24:45 am »
If it's fine to eat the meat of dead animals, and even high meat, why would it be bad to eat dead oysters?

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 12:20:34 pm »
really?!?  so frustrating!!  are they labeled as such?
I am not sure. If they are packed check the ingredients. If not, ask the butcher.

I think they do it to shrimp and scallops. Maybe clams and oysters too.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 12:26:02 pm by Sully »

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 12:25:02 pm »
If it's fine to eat the meat of dead animals, and even high meat, why would it be bad to eat dead oysters?
I don't know.

The black spots and foul taste I experienced may be a different sign. Diseased or sickened oyster?
They are filter feeders and take in any toxins from their enviroment. Which explains why some are bad and some are good.

I am sure the good ones are fine aged or dead.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 12:27:12 pm »
In the Philippines we have weekly bulletins regarding the monitoring of red tide:

http://www.myhealthblog.org/2010/11/08/shellfish-oysters-clams-mussels-safe-to-eat-when-and-where-is-it-clean/#more-3697
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 12:28:39 pm »

They degenerate and their degenerated bodies are perceived as toxic.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 06:40:29 pm »
They degenerate and their degenerated bodies are perceived as toxic.
But how is this degeneration different from the degeneration/decay of other meat?

I am not sure. If they are packed check the ingredients. If not, ask the butcher.

I think they do it to shrimp and scallops. Maybe clams and oysters too.

Scallops which have preservatives are called "wet", and preservative-free scallops are called "dry". I've seen this explicitly labelled at a fishmonger.
http://www.fishex.com/seafood/scallops/scallops-dry-vs-wet.html

If the clams and oysters are sold alive, then there's no way they have preservatives.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 07:15:28 pm »
As repeatedly stated elsewhere, toxicity depend on the dose and the dose that becomes toxic varies according to the person and her actual state. Personally I don't like dead oysters and shellfish (unless they just died a short time ago) but some people like them dead.

Yes, Sully, your bad oyster may have been polluted and you'd better avoid eating them.

By the way, the first time I ate oysters was somewhere in Baja California in 1989. There was still a lot of wild shellfish and fish there. Very good place to live in the wild, you can camp on a beach for several days till you have no more food and soft water, without seeing any human being. 
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 04:56:36 am »
As repeatedly stated elsewhere, toxicity depend on the dose and By the way, the first time I ate oysters was somewhere in Baja California in 1989. There was still a lot of wild shellfish and fish there. Very good place to live in the wild, you can camp on a beach for several days till you have no more food and soft water, without seeing any human being. 
Sounds nice. Prob much different now though, because so much can happen in 20 years.

Hey btw. what about snails in rivers and ponds?

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 09:43:58 am »
So is it still quality to eat shellfish that have just died shortly ago and have no 'off' smell ? (clams)

Are clams that have small chips in them safe for consumption? They smell fresh so I don''t think if they died they have been dead for long.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 10:44:43 am »
So is it still quality to eat shellfish that have just died shortly ago and have no 'off' smell ? (clams)

Are clams that have small chips in them safe for consumption? They smell fresh so I don''t think if they died they have been dead for long.
I tried these small clams. I didn't like them. I prefer oysters. What kind of clams do you get?

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 10:55:25 am »
littleneck, or cherrystones(which are 2-3x as big as littlenecks)

i debate between buying bulk littlenecks and buying cherrystones individually. cherrystones are amazing, so big.

best would be bulk cherrystones

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 11:48:22 am »
ahh i see, i tried the smaller ones, littleneck i think,

you prefer clams over oysters?

Offline PaganAngel

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 11:49:17 am »
In the Philippines we have weekly bulletins regarding the monitoring of red tide:

http://www.myhealthblog.org/2010/11/08/shellfish-oysters-clams-mussels-safe-to-eat-when-and-where-is-it-clean/#more-3697

Hey GS, i saw the news too yesterday.  Does red tide affect fish as well?  How can we tell if fish is really clean & safe to eat?  

I plan to go to Farmers Market this week with my maid, i have only a vague idea how to choose fresh seafood.... my maid comes from a fishing village in Iloilo & her uncle was a fisherman so i'm hoping she can help me choose good stuff  :) Do you have a particular stall ( or suki) there that you patronize?

I just had a salad buffet last night at Mandarin hotel,  ate about 20 oysters ( from Roxas City) and lots of raw tuna ( from Gen San) and raw salmon.  The salmon was frozen though... but it still tasted good   :)  The mussels there looked a little pale & dry so i passed on those.  

assured me that the oysters are fresh bec the shell is clammed shut & they need to open it with a knife.  Is this a reliable way to tell how good/fresh an oyster is?

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 10:21:19 pm »
ahh i see, i tried the smaller ones, littleneck i think,

you prefer clams over oysters?

I used to prefer oysters, but then the prices doubled and it's not practical to get oysters as a staple. Though clams often have lots of grit that soaking doesn't seem to clear up, I enjoy the taste of them. I especially like the large clams over the littlenecks.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 11:23:18 pm »
Hey btw. what about snails in rivers and ponds?
Do you see them enough where you live? So far I don't see these creatures  in US, but back home I see lots of them on my grandma's pond.
bugs or country chickens

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk