Author Topic: ORF virus? Is it something we should worry about?  (Read 4689 times)

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
ORF virus? Is it something we should worry about?
« on: November 19, 2010, 08:07:39 am »
I just read that ORF virus is especially rampant in Icelandic sheep this year.

Apparently it's a virus infection people get on their skin when they handle sheep a lot. The article said you shouldn't have to worry about eating the meat, but granted I'm sure they don't take into account people who eat their meat raw.

Anyone know anything about this? Supposedly this is very common.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline the PresiDenT

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: ORF virus? Is it something we should worry about?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 08:15:28 am »
I just read that ORF virus is especially rampant in Icelandic sheep this year.

Apparently it's a virus infection people get on their skin when they handle sheep a lot. The article said you shouldn't have to worry about eating the meat, but granted I'm sure they don't take into account people who eat their meat raw.

Anyone know anything about this? Supposedly this is very common.
they make a big deal about anything that can scare the average person. Their goal is make us so fearful we will give all our rights up to gov. i personally am not worried about all these apparent bugs/worms ect, its all overblown for unhealthy people with no immune system.
The price is wrong Bob

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 08:16:34 am »
they make a big deal about anything that can scare the average person. Their goal is make us so fearful we will give all our rights up to gov

Easy there tiger.

It's real and this is Iceland, not the states. There is very little corruption in our government.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 10:18:23 am »
I think sick people who burn their food, take antibiotics, and things like tylenol and aspirin should worry.
Anything may set off that crowd.
I would rather die with worms coming out of my head, than believe that nature is out to do any more than test me.
The chem companies are by far the biggest threat, but whoever put out this warning may be genuinely worried, and if they fit in the above crowd they should be.

Are you going to try it? or avoid it?

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 11:14:16 am »
Nature? These are animals bred to feed us, and confined to relatively small areas of land.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 11:23:37 am »
Nature? These are animals bred to feed us, and confined to relatively small areas of land.

Are we talking about a factory farm?
that could change my mind, but if that is the case I don't even know why we are discussing it.  -v
If it is a small operation I see nothing to worry about.
I'd appreciate if you let us know how your body reacts to it... if you try it.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 11:38:48 am »
Grass-fed animals are usually kept in fields with fences around the outside. This means that they are eating from the same grass they're defecating on. I don't know if it's normal for sick animals to move away from the group, or for the group to leave them, but anyway if that is so, they wouldn't be able to do that so much in a field either.

I'd think though, that if it meat seems good when it's sitting in front of you, it should be fine. I don't know at all though, just saying that's what I'd think.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline the PresiDenT

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 12:37:06 pm »
Grass-fed animals are usually kept in fields with fences around the outside. This means that they are eating from the same grass they're defecating on. I don't know if it's normal for sick animals to move away from the group, or for the group to leave them, but anyway if that is so, they wouldn't be able to do that so much in a field either.

I'd think though, that if it meat seems good when it's sitting in front of you, it should be fine. I don't know at all though, just saying that's what I'd think.
i know in canada, the grass fed animals are like high quality for rich ppl, run by rich ppl. they have multiple pastures/fields and they rotate the animals for these exact reasons, and so the grass is lush
The price is wrong Bob

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 04:48:27 pm »
i know in canada, the grass fed animals are like high quality for rich ppl, run by rich ppl. they have multiple pastures/fields and they rotate the animals for these exact reasons, and so the grass is lush

How much does it cost you? What cuts?

Offline the PresiDenT

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 05:08:13 am »

How much does it cost you? What cuts?
prty expensive. bone marrow for cow is 1-2$ a pound, beef meat (fatty or lean) 5 dollars for decent stuff. pork is like half that. the hard part is getting fat though, as no one else buys it, so they just sell direct to companies and i cannot really get my hands on it.
The price is wrong Bob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk