Poll

Did you read GC Burger's first book?

I did read it and I agree with him.
I did read it and I partly agree with him (please expound).
I did read it but I disagree with him (please explain why).
I didn’t read it but nevertheless I agree with him.
I didn’t read it and I don’t know what he says but I disagree with him.
I didn’t read it and I don’t care.

Author Topic: Who has read GC Burger's main book?  (Read 29023 times)

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Who has read GC Burger's main book?
« on: November 22, 2010, 03:56:52 am »
Just curious to know who has read GCB's book translated here:
http://www.reocities.com/HotSprings/7627/ggindex.html

I did read it in French and I don't know if the English translation is good, nor who has translated it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 04:44:31 am by Iguana »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Who has read GC Burger's first book?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 07:37:40 pm »
Well, I might as well review Burger's book in the next 2 months for rawpaleodiet.com, since it's online.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 03:25:47 pm »
Where is this book sold physically or electronically?
I want Burger to earn money off of his work. Promote it.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 04:22:37 pm »
I forgot about the review. I will try to do it this year, at the very least.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Susan

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
    • rohkostwiki.de
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 06:57:39 pm »
Here you can read the first part of the book in english: Instinctive Eating PART ONE, by Guy-Claude Burger

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 07:38:46 am »
Link doesn't work for me.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 02:25:47 pm »
 An English translation of the whole book is on line free here as I wrote in the first post of this thread. The French edition is out of print.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 03:45:37 pm »
How about we put up this book for sale?
Lulu for hard copy and pdf file downloads?
It deserves more attention.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 08:03:24 pm »
Just started reading it today. Halfway or so now. Amazing. Thanx for the link Francois! Already read a lot of things that explain a few experiences I've had since starting raw.

One of the first raw things I ate was sea fruits, different kinds all raw. Immidiately after eating them I felt weird. My stomach went crazy and I forced myself to throw up to get rid of it. This would have happened anyway but somehow I knew it felt it had to go. I vomitted a few more times and had very bad diarrhea for a week. Afterwards I had no more problems with raw foods.

At the time I thought it was bad luck for me to buy bad sea fruits but now I think it may have been an initial detox to prepare my body for raw food which would have happened with any type of raw meat. Don't know maybe I just like to think that.

what do you guys think?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 08:34:19 pm by TylerDurden »
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 02:45:57 am »
Burger was the fourth author I read after deciding to try RPD. Initially, I thought that he was right about eating un-processed foods; however, instinctive eating sounded wacko (even though I agreed that children and animals can eat instinctively).

After 4 weeks eating unprocessed foods and paying moderate attention to smells, I have very clear instinctive food direction, and it gets clearer all the time, helping me both select some foods and avoid others. I think this has been a crucial element in avoiding staff-room SAD food at work. I don't need all that psychological motivation b.s. to eat the right foods.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 04:06:24 am »
So I finally know how to eat! Read gcb book today and got really inspired. I went to get dinner and must have smelled just about anything in the store. There were 2 absolute winner. An overripe pineapple and a box local strawberrys. Had those for dinner. Could have eating that combo at least another 2x. A few hours later I felt like eating raw meat. Instead of chopping it to pieces I just took some marrow and a large piece of meat and eat it bare hands an teeth only. Just delicious. Never liked eating raw meat before. Burger stresses foods be in their original state so that might have helped. I'm impressed with how well instincto actually works an how well my instincts still seem to be attached.

I'm going to a local organic farm market tomorrow, can't wait!
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 05:42:21 am »
I don't need all that psychological motivation b.s. to eat the right foods.

For some people this is necessary; those who are in an extremely dire state of health may have no option than to re-educate themselves about food, health, cognisance in order to begin healing. I'm glad you and many people on this board have the bravado to begin a raw animal food diet without difficulty.

:)

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 10:47:22 am »
those who are in an extremely dire state of health may have no option than to re-educate themselves about food, health, cognisance in order to begin healing.

As much as I don't like to brag about how dire I was, I did suffer from terminal direness. I had been re-educated almost to death. For me, the fact remains that the instant I started eating RPD/unprocessed foods, craving and temptation were a thing of the past. I haven't read my lists of goals and motivations once since I eliminated the offending foods, and I haven't "cheated" once.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 03:42:37 pm »
Well, I might as well review Burger's book in the next 2 months for rawpaleodiet.com, since it's online.
We still wait for your review, Tyler!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 05:00:03 pm »
We still wait for your review, Tyler!
  OK, I'll have to do it in October, uploading it a few months later. My computer is crap, and I have other commitments right now.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 11:23:16 pm »
I'm flabbergasted that of the 10792 RPF members only 9 did read that book, according to this poll! :o Yet there are 13 pages of endless arguments about it on Explain Instincto Diet Fully , as well as 29 pages on  Explain Instincto Diet Fully #2
Unbelievable!

The book has just been reprinted in French and here is the translation of a comment  from GCB’s forum :
Réponse de Francine le 7 août 2012 à 9:20
(...)
So, on this occasion I read these excerpts online, and I'm still amazed by the rigor of reasoning, clarity of the report and humor that wraps it all to make it more easily grasped! Nobody ever wrote anything more awesome in philosophy, logic and dietetics. Because your book has revolutionized philosophy as well as the art of eating. It leads to believe that philosophy is born of the gap between our deepest aspirations and our habits inherited from the culinary civilization.

I can not understand people who read it and do not see what it has as outstandingly genius, it’s so blindingly obvious!

THANK YOU so much for writing this book.
Original in French:
    Bonjour Guy-Claude
    Je viens de cliquer sur les extraits proposés plus haut sur ce fil. J'ai déjà chez moi 5 ou 6 exemplaires de Manger Vrai, mais je ne les lis pas tous les jours ! Donc, à cette occasion j'ai lu ces extraits en ligne, et je suis toujours aussi émerveillée par la rigueur du raisonnement, la clarté de l'exposé et l'humour qui enveloppe tout ça pour que ça passe mieux ! On n'a jamais écrit rien de plus génial en matière de philosophie, de logique et de diététique. Car votre livre révolutionne la philosophie aussi bien que l'art de s'alimenter. A croire que la philosophie est née de cet écart entre nos aspirations profondes et nos habitudes héritées de la civilisation culinaire.
    Je n'arrive pas à comprendre les gens qui, le lisant, n'y voient pas ce qu'il a de génial, tellement ça crève les yeux !
    MERCI infiniment d'avoir écrit ce livre.
To which I answered :
Yes, same here, it has always utterly amazed me!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 11:30:27 pm by Iguana »

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 03:29:57 am »
Sorry Iguana, I missed this post too. I loved GCB's book. I practiced it perfectly for a month and was clearly getting stronger signals for starts and stops. I have experiment with dairy and with eating some blended foods and some salted or marinated foods, and some prefrozen and I am clear that it confuses my sensory ability to read my bodies needs. I love eating instinctively, but I also like to experiment with other raw eating methods. I primarily eat instinctive, I reread all of GCB's info just to review now that I have a taste of the instinctive eating experience.
     Anybody can do this if I can. Nobody has a more broken sugar metabolism than me. Mine is completely depentand on medication for survival so, when people say they would over eat fruit, for example, they just didn't really give it a try. I did over eat fruit and honey for the first couple of days, but if you follow GCB's guide to the letter, your body will learn. Practice makes perfect. I ate considerably less of all foods including carbs and I lost 10lbs that month. When I stopped instictive and attempted low carb plan again. I had more cravings, cheated, and gained all of the weight back : (. I restarted instictive and lost the first 5 in 2 weeks, I'm  still doing well incorporating a few non-instinctive foods. Like frozen bone marrow, a little seasoned meat, and ACV marinaded onion. I've learned I do better avoiding seasoned meat, the marrow seems fine, and I'm still undecided on the onions.
         Iguan I agree with GCB completely and I can't imagine a better way to connect to our instinctual self. 
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 04:47:28 am »
Glad you read it and agree with me.

That book outlines a extraordinary revolution in the way of thinking about nutrition (and consequently, other social sciences), for me somehow alike to Galileo’s and Copernic’s or Einstein’s. This is a real raw paleo diet because how can we eat as much as possible in the way our ancestors of a million years ago did… while using modern dietary principles based on our extremely incomplete and constantly evolving analytical knowledge ? It just makes no sense.

But if the theory is clear and sound, practice in our modern world is another matter. As GCB warns in the end of that book, it is not intended as a guide to practice instinctive nutrition. It took several years to the small group of pioneers to develop the theory and a practical way, sustainable and successful in the long run. Following a seminar where all the practical and psychological problems were talked about was found necessary for a long-lasting successful practice.

That’s a bit why I came here: if I can help, I’m glad - even if contrary to GCB I have a limited grasp of biochemistry, immunology and such sciences as well as an experience limited to myself and a few other close people.

BTW, I wish that topic to be restricted to those who have read this book, so that we won't drift again into endless and tiring verbose arguments.

Cheers
François 

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 01:38:04 pm »
Hi Francois,  :)
I read Burgers book years ago and still have it.
I voted (I had not before.. sorry..) that I partly agree.

Partly, because I guess wild foods are much more important than Burger seems to realize. To domesticate anything is a loss.. and I guess messes with our instinct too. I never forget what a huge difference it was eating wild durian in comaprison to domesticated. The difference was unbelieveable.

Also seasonality, he does not write anything about these.. light cycles and so on. That is a huge part missing from the book.. the part that made my instinctive-eating years not so successful. I ordered all my food from Orkos, I ate meat and fish too but very minor as the delicious tropical fruits tasted sooo god to me.. living in a heated apartment in the winter with lots of artificial lights late in the nights.. having no clue I was about destroying my health.
Lots of wild, local, ripe, seasonal fruits living in the tropics getting lots of sun would be no problem! But I was not. And no one from the instinctos ever mentioned it was a mismatch. You see me now Francois?  ;)

Burger is onto something huge but some pieces are missing.. it needs to be seasonal and local too, to be perfect.
I guess, if we live in a mismatched environment, it affects our unconscious mind more than we think.. makes it not work right... and so the instincts get wrong too.
That is when we need to use our brain and willpower to "force things" (like stopping eating fruits in winter if not in season where we live, to have it colder, to have it darker when season is too..) to get it right because we lived wrong for so long, or say, we need to live after the seasons again, to get the unconscious mind working properly again.

And then it is the thing about what we are used to tastewise. That plays a bigger role than many thinks. The yuck-factor..that makes us made different decisions than if we had no yuck-factor. Who eat fish-eyes and guts? Even if they are so good for us? The yuck-factor is playing a huge role believe me. It decides what we like tastewise too. We like tastewise what we are used too.. Many fruits and nuts and such have similar tastes to what we are used too from childhood (SAD). It is easy to eat/choose.

I also disagree a bit about that the "toxins from cooking" are that dramatic as he thinks, and therein (to avoid these "toxins") lays the secret of raw.
I rather believe it is the beneficial bacterias and viruses that are in raw that is so very good for us. Gently cooked foods are not poison IMHO but very suboptimal.
I am not talking about real crap like burned / fried meat, french fries, manipulated foods like margarine, any junk.. these are real poison for sure - no, I mean pure whole good quality foods gently heated. They are just not optimal to me but not in any way poisonous like Burger tells us. Or lets say, that is what I believe and what my own body tells me after experimenting a lot.  ;)

But yes, Burger also is aware of the benefits of bacterias and viruses, that is actually where I read about it first time. :)
So I do think he is on to something big Francois!

And Francois.. one more thing..
After starting to eat mostly wild and saisonal, paying attention to the light cycluses too.. there do start to happend something with the unconscious.. like it starts working better..? I feel and see things now, that are very minor improvements but still so huge I get overwhelmed. Like I SEE more, and feel more in my abdominal area too, what things are about. Quite painful too at times I can tell, as the truth hurts sometimes.
But worth it, as it feels very alive too and.. it feels like freedom.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 01:49:19 pm by Inger »

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 05:19:06 pm »
Hi Francois,  :)
I read Burgers book years ago and still have it.
I voted (I had not before.. sorry..) that I partly agree.

Partly, because I guess wild foods are much more important than Burger seems to realize. To domesticate anything is a loss.. and I guess messes with our instinct too. I never forget what a huge difference it was eating wild durian in comaprison to domesticated. The difference was unbelieveable.

This is in no way a fundamental disagreement, but only that according to your personal experience  you have come to put a bit more emphasize into wild foods. We agree that wild foods are of course the best option, and GCB has now called more attention to the danger of over-consumption of domesticated animals’ meats. Concerning the fruits, he also agrees with you.

Personally, I have eaten a lot of various durian varieties, and I like all of them from almost wild and extremely diverse (from absolutely delightful to dreadful) Sri Lankan ones to Thai “standardized” Mornthong. I can eat a lot of the firsts ones too, even too much if I eat only that in a meal. So I found out that I could avoid a strong and unpleasant body reaction if I ate another fruit before or after. That’s the danger of mono-meals: if we decided beforehand to eat a single foodstuff in a meal, we may end up by eating too much of it.

Also seasonality, he does not write anything about these.. light cycles and so on. That is a huge part missing from the book.. the part that made my instinctive-eating years not so successful. I ordered all my food from Orkos, I ate meat and fish too but very minor as the delicious tropical fruits tasted sooo god to me.. living in a heated apartment in the winter with lots of artificial lights late in the nights.. having no clue I was about destroying my health.
Lots of wild, local, ripe, seasonal fruits living in the tropics getting lots of sun would be no problem! But I was not. And no one from the instinctos ever mentioned it was a mismatch. You see me now Francois?  ;)

The point about seasonality and locality is addressed by GCB in this book and the seminars he gave. Did you follow one? I did 3 times for the short (2 days) introduction one and once for the more advanced 1 week one. I learned a lot especially in the last, including the necessity to constantly put everything into question, not to accept any statement without questioning how and why. BTW, the book doesn’t give any advice for a successful practice, it’s not intended for that: these seminars were here for this purpose. 

Burger is onto something huge but some pieces are missing.. it needs to be seasonal and local too, to be perfect.

Our ancestors lived in the tropics for almost all the duration of our evolution and there is not so much seasonality there, so I don’t see why it would be that relevant. It makes no sense eating local if you are in an environment which isn’t the one our species is the most adapted to.

I guess, if we live in a mismatched environment, it affects our unconscious mind more than we think.. makes it not work right... and so the instincts get wrong too.
That is when we need to use our brain and willpower to "force things" (like stopping eating fruits in winter if not in season where we live, to have it colder, to have it darker when season is too..) to get it right because we lived wrong for so long, or say, we need to live after the seasons again, to get the unconscious mind working properly again.

Yes, except GS most of us live in a - more or less - mismatched environment! We have to move there to meet him and get the sunlight 13-14 hours a day the whole year!

And then it is the thing about what we are used to tastewise. That plays a bigger role than many thinks. The yuck-factor..that makes us made different decisions than if we had no yuck-factor. Who eat fish-eyes and guts? Even if they are so good for us? The yuck-factor is playing a huge role believe me. It decides what we like tastewise too. We like tastewise what we are used too.. Many fruits and nuts and such have similar tastes to what we are used too from childhood (SAD). It is easy to eat/choose.

Absolutely right, that’s why a training is necessary and it was the task of the seminars. 

I also disagree a bit about that the "toxins from cooking" are that dramatic as he thinks, and therein (to avoid these "toxins") lays the secret of raw.
I rather believe it is the beneficial bacterias and viruses that are in raw that is so very good for us. Gently cooked foods are not poison IMHO but very suboptimal.
I am not talking about real crap like burned / fried meat, french fries, manipulated foods like margarine, any junk.. these are real poison for sure - no, I mean pure whole good quality foods gently heated. They are just not optimal to me but not in any way poisonous like Burger tells us. Or lets say, that is what I believe and what my own body tells me after experimenting a lot.  ;)

Short term personal observations can be misleading because things are complicated by detoxination reactions which are often stopped when eating slightly heat-damaged food. GCB and his small group of friends (including one I know very well) undertook a thorough, long and expensive series of experimentation on themselves as well as on hundreds of mice fed different diets. The mice fed lightly cooked food fared worse, worst than the ones fed a standard thoroughly cooked diet.
http://fr.groups.yahoo.com/group/Ecologie-Alimentaire/message/5934
It seems there is no a linearity in this.

After starting to eat mostly wild and saisonal, paying attention to the light cycluses too.. there do start to happend something with the unconscious.. like it starts working better..? I feel and see things now, that are very minor improvements but still so huge I get overwhelmed. Like I SEE more, and feel more in my abdominal area too, what things are about. Quite painful too at times I can tell, as the truth hurts sometimes.
But worth it, as it feels very alive too and.. it feels like freedom.

Instinctonutrition (as well as paleo diet) is only about nutrition, it doesn’t deal with other health factors, which, of course, are also very important.

It’s not a finite, fixed, ultimate and definitively true theory, but only a provisional one (like all scientific theories) which is meant to explain better the known facts while being simpler than the field’s previous theories. Scientific knowledge advances by modifying or replacing earlier theories after new, better fitting and if possible simpler ones (Occam’s razor ) are discovered.

Your experience is very interesting and I hope it will contribute somehow to improve our knowledge, and thus the theory.     

Best regards
François 

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 05:38:53 pm »
Here is rough translation of the main points from the link I gave, Inger :

Very significant facts can be learned from these experimentations, including:
- Heat damaged molecules and use of milk are very harmful;
- It can cause diseases such as rheumatism or disorders of the nervous system that modern medicine does not think assigning to food;
- "Soft" thermal damages are even more toxic!
Guy Claude proposed as explanatory hypothesis that  slightly damaged molecules have a part of their structure recognized as correct by our immune system and are thus admitted in the biochemical metabolic processes. But as these molecules are not exactly consistent, they induce later deep troubles in the metabolism.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 10:50:26 pm »
Look, I'm sorry, that review of GCB's book will come up in 1 month, I promise.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 11:12:28 pm »
Fine, thank you, I look forward to it! Bear in mind that the translation is not perfect: we don't know who has done it.

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 08:40:54 pm »
Here is rough translation of the main points from the link I gave, Inger :

Very significant facts can be learned from these experimentations, including:
- Heat damaged molecules and use of milk are very harmful;
- It can cause diseases such as rheumatism or disorders of the nervous system that modern medicine does not think assigning to food;
- "Soft" thermal damages are even more toxic!
Guy Claude proposed as explanatory hypothesis that  slightly damaged molecules have a part of their structure recognized as correct by our immune system and are thus admitted in the biochemical metabolic processes. But as these molecules are not exactly consistent, they induce later deep troubles in the metabolism.

Thank you Francois!

How high temperature needs to be to fully damage the molecules?
When I eat cooked I just boil it in water / fishbroth for a few minutes... is that enough or is that "soft" thermal damage?

I am totally with you that pasteurized milkproducts are so not good.. my skin hates them. And it takes weeks to get rid of the pimples if I had some cream.

I wanted to study Psychology on the university but I want it no more.
Knowing what food and unnatural environment alone do to our psyche.. what is the deal with psychotherapy? It is like eating painkillers for headache. It is not what you need to heal...
Now I have a problem because I have no idea what to do with my life anymore.. uh. Maybe it is OK. I sure will know in a year or so I guess, just need to repair first.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 10:06:25 pm »
How high temperature needs to be to fully damage the molecules?
When I eat cooked I just boil it in water / fishbroth for a few minutes... is that enough or is that "soft" thermal damage?
The hypothesis is that a completely destroyed molecule will be recognized as such, be discarded by the immune system and then eliminated, while a slightly damaged one may not be and is therefore potentially more likely to induce metabolic troubles. 

I don’t think there’s a clear limit; the precautionary principle commands to avoid any food having been heated over 40°C. Of course, not all the molecules in a heated or cooked foodstuff are damaged or wrecked, perhaps only one out of 100 or 1000 and that’s why we can live on cooked food. But during a lifetime, we’ll have ingested about 75 tons of food. If only one molecule out of 1000 in this food is wrecked or damaged, it still makes for 75 kg of countless kinds of abnormal substances, each being able to cause serious and delayed health troubles.

Organic molecules are extremely complex and comprise hundreds or even thousands of atoms, each being in an exact and specific spatial position! There’s a remarkable order and an amazing precision in the mechanisms of life (increasing negative entropy  :)). As a rule, life can work only in a very limited range of temperature (0 to 40° C), because an excessive thermal agitation destroy this accurate order, increasing entropy  -d, creating disorder. Simply put, heat burns the living things!

As GCB wrote somewhere in that book, the safest way of cooking would be to thoroughly carbonize everything!  ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon Pure carbon has extremely low toxicity to humans and can be handled and even ingested safely in the form of graphite or charcoal.

Cheers
Francois
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 02:31:04 pm by Iguana »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk