Author Topic: Super-high ferritin level after 2 years on raw meat. Iron overload?  (Read 6277 times)

Offline Coriolan

• Forager
    • View Profile
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum, though I've been reading it for a long time.

I am a 26 year old French male.

I just received the results from my blood analysis (which is routinely done here in France when beginning to work in new job), and there are two points that caught my attention:

- quite high LDL cholesterol (2.8 g/l), as well as total cholesterol (3.5 g/l). I think that's OK though, as I don't really fear high values in these categories.

- SKY-HIGH FERRITIN LEVEL! 580 mcg/l (normal values: 20~250) (and it was only at 180 in 2004. I started a raw meat diet in 2008)

I don't know what to think of this ferritin level. Ferritin is a protein that transports iron. It can be a sign of iron overload (much iron = much ferritin), but not always. Sure, I eat a lot of raw red meat, raw liver, etc., like many on this forum, but hey, not MEGATONS of it. I don't eat much seafood (rich in iron), though I craved (but haven't eaten yet) mussels and scallops lastly.

It can also be a sign of inflammation. I used to have a bad case of periodontitis, which worsened on high raw milk intake, but it progressively getting better without it. My gums are mostly pink again, after a long time of them being red.

Also, could be a sign of poor liver function, which is quite possible, as I still feel my liver is very weak.

I want to add that I have rather poor sleeping patterns, which I'm working on improving. Lack of sleep is a cause of general inflammation.

So, it could be a sign of much things, and I am undergoing further tests to refine the etiology of this high ferritin thing.

But it raises one question to me: would eating raw red meat (and liver) regularly be a dangerous thing to do, because of the high level of iron that could result (especially for men: no periods)? Isn't the body clever enough (when given the proper raw fuel) to get rid of the possible excess iron? Is ingesting some blood here and there such an UNNATURAL thing to do that one would get ill from two years of doing so?

If anyone has an answer to these questions... or maybe a thought or remark... I would be glad. Especially when one knows that a ferritin level above 250 makes one hypogonadic and stunts one's growth when in puberty. Among other health delicacies.

I don't feel eating less meat and liver would be a bright dietary perspective, so, I'm researching this iron overload (or h(a)ematochromatosis) thing. I read lex_rooker said having parasites might be a way to get rid of excess iron. As a raw pork organ meats eater, I'm doing my best, isn't it? ;)

And also (this post has no end... Sorry), it is quite possible that my body is just completely exhausted from insomnia and such, and full of crap from my past life, etc., and is just lazy at regulating itself as a result. Will work on this too.

Summarized post: "iron overload on raw meat diet: likely or not?" ;)

Thank you for reading :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 07:55:37 am by Coriolan »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Super-high ferritin level after 2 years on raw meat. Iron overload?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 08:20:10 am »
Yes, I have read  some claim similiar to what Lex mentioned. It is often mentioned by those who ask for blood donations, which is how I came across it, previously. However, I have serious doubts about the notion that raw meat contains too much iron in it. Iron excess just seems awfully rare and more due to things like liver-related issues, genetics etc. etc.. Perhaps you could see if blood donation improves things a bit?
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Coriolan

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 08:28:45 am »
Yes, I thought about bloodletting, too, but if this actually is a liver-related problem, giving blood would just mask the root of the problem.

What bothers me most is the increase, from 180 to 580, apparently while eating raw meat and such.

Still thinking about it.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 07:37:47 am »
Yes, I thought about bloodletting, too, but if this actually is a liver-related problem, giving blood would just mask the root of the problem.

What bothers me most is the increase, from 180 to 580, apparently while eating raw meat and such.

Still thinking about it.
Are you omni or vlc?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline turkish

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 08:04:58 am »
i remember reading somewhere long time ago, IP6 might help in this situation - ofcourse it would mask the problem.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 10:47:51 am »
Very interesting topic. I need to check my blood test too. recently I am having some inflammations trouble while I'm on raw ZC. I know that Liver is well known to cure iron deficiency. Coriolan, why don't you stop eating liver and than take your blood test?
bugs or country chickens

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk