Author Topic: Vague notes re improvements  (Read 10735 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Vague notes re improvements
« on: December 13, 2010, 11:05:35 pm »
For now, the most pressing things to do for rawpaleodiet.com are :-

A very long essay on the negative effects of heat-created toxins plus short sections on addictiveness of cooked foods re changing dopamine levels in the brain etc.

Short section on enzymes.

History of raw foodism. Will include mention of Howell, Weston-Price etc.

Long essay on the benefits of bacteria, plus a little mention re parasites and benefits thereof.

I have that almost finished weston-price book review  elsewhere but will update it to the site within a few months, hopefully. Will eventually get round to other reviews, such as those of Aajonus etc.

And for anyone who has read through what rawpaleodiet.com currently has on offer, please feel free to point out any mistakes, grammatical errors, or outdated links or whatever.

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Vague notes re improvements
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 05:49:02 pm »
OK, I checked the rawpaleodiet.com website for the first time in ages and saw an absolutely appalling ignorant comment made by some anti-raw fundamentalist retard. I will have to remove it - (I fear I am to blame as I may have, by mistake, allowed some comments to get through in a past attempt to update the site, ages ago). I clearly also need to update other aspects and introduce new articles. Instead of my "history of raw foodism" article, I would far rather have Randy Roach's "splendid specimens" article on raw foodist bodybuilders as I am a pretty poor writer and can't bring to life the kind of decent, romanticised article that Randy Roach can.  The article on the harmful effects of cooking is going to require a lot of complicated insertions of links to decent studies done on cooked foods, but it doesn't require much in the way of writing skills - I will upload it here in the suggestions box forum when I have mostly finished it, and when I am about to update it to rawpaleodiet.com, so that other RPDers here can comment on whether I have left something important out in the article  or whatever.

If anyone knows of a "history of raw foodism" article either online or mentioned in a book, please tell me about it, so that I can include it on rawpaleodiet.com.

I previously asked if people here might contribute their own articles to rawpaleodiet.com on subjects of interest. Sadly, that didn't happen, as people are so busy these days. Ah well....
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 06:24:57 pm »
It would also help if people could link me to articles on raw-meat-eating Inuits. I would especially appreciate any info on raw food-eating in Samoa, as that "Splendid Specimens" article cited Armand Tanny as adopting a RVAF diet after discovering that the very healthy Samoans ate a largely raw diet. It would be boring to just focus on the Inuit and I don't want the Inuit to be seen as a rare exception, so citing other sources would be useful.
" Ron Paul.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 12:41:07 am »
i don't think there is such thing as raw eating samoans.  it is possible they ate raw fish back in times but not anymore.  their diet is mostly of cooked taro/rice, coconut, and fish.  pretty much everything else is imported.  as the islands depend more and more on tourism they will gradually increase consuming imported packaged food.

from http://www.helium.com/items/341174-samoan-food-choices-and-commodity-as-cultural-definition

The staples of the Samoan diet (most commonly grown) include taro (a yam like starch that is not available in the United States), breadfruit (a potato-like food that grows on trees, again not available in the U.S.), coconut milk, and green bananas (these are available here in the U.S., but Helen commented that Samoans don't cook with them here because they aren't right, a wrong consistency and taste, etc.). Each of these staples have particular roles in the Samoan diet (all are rich foods) and the preparation of food.

Nearly all meals are cooked outside of the house (there is not what's considered a traditional kitchen in households). The food (which primarily consists of meats and the staples) is cooked in an underground oven called an Umu (the oven is a dug-out space with a bed of hot rocks on the bottom. The food is put on top of the rocks, and then a layer of more hot rocks is added.).

Fast food has just recently made an appearance on the island with the rising of the tourist trade.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 03:52:59 am »
Well, Tanny visited Samoa many many decades ago so....

In the meantime, I am slowly adding Randy Roach's amazing "Splendid Specimens" article on to rawpaleodiet.com as it is really inspirational on all levels.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 04:55:32 am »
Had  quick look at the linked article. It's about American (Eastern) Samoa, capital PagoPago. This was already a completely spoiled island in 1972 when I visited it: they drove big American cars, had supermarkets, air conditioned homes with TVs.

Western Samoa (capital Apia) remained unspoiled.

I stayed 2 months in Rotuma, an other island with a population of Samoan descent. Returned there for one month in 1989. The women eat raw fish, but otherwise they cook most of their food - except fruits, of course.

Fish is commonly eaten raw throughout the Pacific, most of the times with lime juice.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 07:07:10 am by TylerDurden »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 12:24:27 am »
OK, I've done a quick, very vague rough draft of the essay on the harmful effects of cooked foods. It's just a vague list of the various ways that cooking causes ill-health. I have not yet inserted any scientific studies as yet, which is why I have put the word "INSERT" all over the place, to note where I should add references/links to pubmed studies etc. I already have some idea of what studies to cite re the points I mentioned, but if any member here has some other more solid studies they would like me to cite as well, please mention them in this thread. Also, if you think I've missed out an important point, feel free to mention that too. I will get back to finishing this article when I get back from skiing in a week's time.

Draft below:-

"THE HARMFUL EFFECTS OF COOKING

There are various ways in which cooking creates ill-health. Cooking destroys the bacteria and enzymes in  foods and  it also creates   a variety of toxins in  foods which cause harm to human health over time. Cooking also, in most cases, destroys nutrients.

There are various online reports on the loss of nutrients caused by cooking, here, here and here.(INSERT). There are a few foods whose nutrient-levels are improved by cooking, such as (mainly)grains, but, unfortunately, grains are a non-palaeo food that, even when cooked, often lead to health-problems like IBS/Crohn’s Disease(INSERT) etc. etc.

Enzymes in raw foods are needed by the body in order to facilitate the digestion of foods. When the enzymes in foods are destroyed by cooking, it forces the body to generate its own enzymes which wears down the body over time – it is notorious that many SMD-diet-eating  people often feel the need to take extra enzyme supplements as they grow older as their digestive systems have become so worn out after decades of eating cooked foods.

Pro-cooked-advocates have claimed that since the enzymes in raw foods usually get destroyed once they pass through the stomach, that the issue of enzymes in raw foods is irrelevant to human health. However, it has been pointed out by various sources(INSERT) that enzymes in raw foods survive in the upper stomach for about 30 minutes doing their work re digestion etc. before eventually being destroyed in the lower stomach.

Iguana, a member of rawpaleoforum had another explanation re the effects of enzymes in raw foods etc.:-

„Heating accelerates  the movement of molecules. The hotter an object is, the faster its molecules move and bang on each other. Proteins being extremely complex organic molecules composed of hundreds or thousands of atoms in extremely accurate, specific spatial location, they are likely to by damaged by those shocks if the temperature is too high (above 40 – 45°C).

Biochemical reactions are extremely complex, exact and precise. The proteins must be broken into amino acids, and that’s the duty of our enzymes. There’s a very distinct and defined adjustment between the enzymes and recognitions sites on the proteins: they adjust like a key into a lock. For each recognition site, there’s a specific enzyme type. If this site is damaged, the enzyme may be stuck on it, blocking the reaction and it won’t be available to split the following proteins.

The worst is that, if a protein is normal on its other recognition sites, it won’t be identified and eliminated immediately as an antigen. It might therefore be admitted into the body where it can cause all sorts of troubles such as perturb the immune system, for example.

It can be inferred that lightly damaged proteins may be more dangerous than completely destroyed ones, since the latter will immediately be recognized as such by the immune system, and won’t be admitted into the metabolism. So cooking at “low temperature” may not be a good idea. It’s better to completely carbonize the stuff!“

Bacteria in raw foods are also essential to health. For example, it has been shown that taking in  bacteria helps to elevate one’s mood(INSERT soil-bacteria-depression article). As shown by the hygiene hypothesis(INSERT), the severe lack of exposure to bacteria in modern society has directly led to a massive rise in the incidences of allergies, asthma and similiar illnesses(check extra conditions). Many cooked-food-eating humans feel the need to take additional bacteria supplements, but these are largely a waste of time, as the digestive system wipes out almost all of the bacteria before they reach the gut. Regularly eating raw foods, especially aged, raw foods means one can add far more in the way of healthy bacteria to one’s digestive tract, thus making digestion easier and faster, as well as elevating one’s mood in the process.

Cooking creates a nasty variety of heat-created toxins as well. The main types are (INSERTS-LOTS)heterocyclic amines, polycylic aromatic hydrocarbons, advanced glycation end products, advanced lipoxidation end produtcs and nitrosamines. Heterocyclic amines(INSERT) are produced only when muscle-meats are cooked(INSERT).Polyclic aromatic hydrocarbons(INSERT), a known industrial pollutant(INSERT) and a by-product of coal- and tar-pits(INSERT) is formed in particularly high amounts when food is grilled(INSERT), but is also found in cooked foods in general. Both polyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and heterocyclic amines are also components found in cigarette-smoke(INSERT). Nitrosamines are formed mostly from smoking meats or from adding preservatives to meats(INSERT). Advanced glycation end products are also formed via cooking, and advanced lipoxidation end products are formed when fats are oxidised through cooking. Then there are acrylamides(INSERT).

Pro-cooked-advocates have claimed that some methods can help reduce the formation of a few of the heat-created toxins produced by cooking. At least, exercise and caloric restriction have been shown to reduce the formation of advanced glycation end products  - advanced glycation end products and heterocylic amines have been shown to be reduced to some extent by boiling in water or marinating the foods in large amounts of sauces. However, these methods are only partially effective.

It has been suggested by scientists that cooking has led to smaller human teeth, due to humans eating much softer, more processed foods(INSERT).

It has been also pointed out that the human brain decreased by 8 percent during the Neolithic in tandem with the reduction of meat in the human diet at the time, thus proving the importance of a palaeodiet, as well as the raw component.  It is telling that the Inuit, who have been eating mostly meat diets for many millenia (their diet involving lots of raw meats, incidentally) also happen to have the largest skull-sizes/brain-sizes among humans(INSERT).

Some scientists have claimed that highly processed diets lead to addiction(INSERT-junk food diets/brain).

Another negative effect of cooking is nutrient-loss. There are a number of tables online which show details of such nutrient-loss.

Also, neolithic-era foods, whether raw or cooked, have been shown to be extremely harmful to human health as regards Crohn’s, IBS and many other illnesses(INSERT). Grains and dairy and legumes etc. etc.
"
" Ron Paul.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 12:42:56 pm »
You should also mention how raw meat digests much quicker than cooked and cooking certain types of meats actually makes them more tough.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 04:55:30 pm »
OK, I've had a much closer look at rawpaleodiet.com and have been astonished at some of the errors I made. Sometimes I managed to write exactly the opposite of what I meant. Most of it's OK, but I do wish people told me of any errors ages ago. Ah well, I will soon edit the site a bit so as to get rid of any punctuation errors/mistatements etc.
" Ron Paul.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 09:25:31 pm »
Don’t know if this is still ongoing…

Tyler, I like your draft. I do miss something on the enzyme part though.
What you write is correct the body does wear down. But that is just the result of a more fundamental process. Because the body needs to make so much digestive enzymes there are less other enzymes made. The result is a badly managed/maintained body. The result of that bad maintenance/managing is wear. Eg: Fat may stick to the arteries but lipase in the blood dissolves it so it can be cleaned. If it does not the blood flow is limited, the heart must work harder and wears out quicker.
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 10:03:17 pm »
I'll have to finish this one in July, after all, due to other commitments.
" Ron Paul.

Offline zbr5

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 02:55:34 am »
For studies of cooked food you can take a look at:
http://www.amazon.com/Live-Food-Factor-Comprehensive-Ultimate/dp/0977679519/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306436086&sr=8-1

It is a raw vegan book but it provides a lot of cooked/raw studies references.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk