Author Topic: moldy suet  (Read 5709 times)

Offline epal

• Forager
    • View Profile
moldy suet
« on: December 14, 2010, 01:20:36 am »
I know this is the raw paleo forum, but I was thawing some suet ( about 1.5 pounds in the fridge in a zip lock bag) to cook it along with some steaks, and I accidentally left it maybe two or three days (obviously too long) in the fridge.  I just took it out and it has a moldy smell and I can see where the mold is.  I know some folks eat moldy meat, but I am not interested in experimenting with that.  My question is this: should I cut off the moldy parts and cook the rest or should I throw it out?  If I'm not completely successful in cutting off all the mold and some still remains on the suet, will cooking it take care of the mold (kill/destroy it) making it safe to eat

thanks for your help

also, how do I avoid this in the future?  Thaw it in the fridge for 12 hours( instead of leaving it for 2-3days)?  Or don't thaw at all?  Or don't thaw it in a closed ziplock bag and use some other method instead?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: moldy suet
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 01:25:19 am »
    Suet is so dense and lacking in wetness that I imagine the spores did not penetrate deep.  You can probably cut off the outside.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 01:30:11 am »
*Moved to hot topics forum*
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 02:05:10 am »
suet will get moldy if wrapped in plastic.  some reported that it does not get moldy if wrapped in paper.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 07:31:13 am by TylerDurden »

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 01:00:48 am »
just want to report that back fat got moldy in the freezer at -1F.  tough little buggers.  lots of tiny black dots on the surface.  i kept it in the plastic container with lid closed.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 01:24:03 am »
I've eaten it mouldy loads of times and nothing out of the ordinary happened. The whole thing tasted cheesy, so if you hate it you probably can't just cut bits off. I like it though.

Offline whatever

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 03:59:56 am »
Me too, eaten moldy suet no probs, a little bit drier than usual.

I age my meat, last time it was a bit too long and it tasted like brie (french soft cheese) bit strange but I didn't get sick so it must be good enough :-).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 07:30:54 am by TylerDurden »

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 08:31:10 pm »
just want to report that back fat got moldy in the freezer at -1F.  tough little buggers.  lots of tiny black dots on the surface.  i kept it in the plastic container with lid closed.

The "mold" might actually be meat. My fat usually has some meat interspersed which turns black from exposure to air.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 02:28:11 am »
it is real mold.  small black raised dots on white surface.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 06:12:41 am »

In paleo times it wouldn't have been kept in plastic, but then it wouldn't have been in an electric freezer either so that's not here nor there.  That temperature sounds too cold for the black spots to be microorganisms of something good, I think.  If you were making highmeat (which I understand you're not) I don't think the temperature is ever supposed to go below 38 degrees F. 
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk