Author Topic: still having trouble with fat ratios/practicality of high fat  (Read 3324 times)

Offline dsohei

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
still having trouble with fat ratios/practicality of high fat
« on: December 22, 2010, 03:45:52 am »
so, i'm ordering from slankers, getting marrow and back fat, which is obviously separate from the lean roasts & stew meat. when i want to combine them in a meal, i'm confused about weight and caloric ratios. eating instinctively or "to satiation" does not work for me - i could go into greater length on this but thats not the point of this post.

i want to be more towards ketogenic in my diet, maybe 60% fat, 30% protein and 10% misc carbs, but i am missing that by an undetermined amount. i am also aiming for highish protein, maybe 100+/day at 6 feet 185 lbs. i still have too much bodyfat and not enough lean body weight.
i've read pioneer's and lex's personal strategies and they seem very logical, but i'm still not getting it and math isn't my strong suit.

when i grind my roasts/stew meat i then also grind some fat- issues: adding (too much of) the ground fat tastes horrible, which is i guess why most burger meat is very lean, and how much fat to add? what is the ratio of meat to fat that a paleo man would eat? also considering that without grinding, some of the back fat is impossible to chew.
if i don't eat enough fat in the day, my calories will be too high in protein and i will get a "protein headache". so there is some natural carving for fat,even if it doesnt taste good.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: still having trouble with fat ratios/practicality of high fat
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 04:31:37 am »
paleo man had no need for calculators. when he called up to Slankers, he knew exactly how much to order based on instinct. he had a very strong sense of smell and enjoyed experimenting with the limits of his ketogenic diet in his spare time.

---

:)

I'd say if you are eating a few marrow bones and some pure fat (even 1/8-1/4 lb) in addition to their fattier cuts, you should probably be getting in that range. Also since eggs are roughly the ratio you are looking for, and if the quantities of fat you are eating arn't enough in total calories, that might be a way to add in more food without higher muscle meats. Personally, I've never ground meat but have had butchers grind in extra fat with meat and its always fantastic. I find most of Slankers beef to be pretty bland generally but the fats from lamb arn't too shabby. I'm having an easier time with suet these days but have found if I do not chew it thoroughly it will not always be digested, and never have this problem with other fats.

Offline SteakNchop

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 04:37:53 am »
I kind of have this problem as well. What is the average fat ratio in a grass fed rib eye for example?

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 04:38:16 am »
adding (too much of) the ground fat tastes horrible
that's strictly personal issue, i personally do not have issues with how fat tastes, i think most people here do not have this issue either.

what is the ratio of meat to fat that a paleo man would eat?
no one will ever know.  i'm guessing it would be different for every region depending on what kind of prey is around.  elk is much leaner than seals or whales.  in my opinion paleo man would seek the most fat he could get out of every prey he hunted.

also considering that without grinding, some of the back fat is impossible to chew.
got teeth?  back fat is very easy to chew.  if you are talking about rubbery connective tissue, i simply cut it out.  back fat i get from Slankers does not have any connective tissue that I would have difficulty chewing.

i cut all my meat and fat into small cubes or thin slices like sashimi.  it is easy to cut when frozen.

also, you can try butter as fat substitute.

have you tried eating it when it is partially frozen?  the taste is not as strong as at room temp.

Offline dsohei

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 05:31:34 am »
KD- i love the marrow but it runs out fast, takes up lots of space in the freezer & is expensive, but it tastes so good. i was eating 1 package a day for a while there, about 2lbs of bones, whetevr that amounts to in marrow i dont know. several tablespoons.

i may be allergic to eggs even though i love them.

what are the fattier cuts?

when i chew suet it becomes like bubblegum and never disintegrates... i have to swallow it like gum...

ys- it ends up tasting like mush, very unappealing when the fat content of the ground meat gets to 30% or more

yes i have teeth. some of it is unchewable, whether frozen or thawed. i order the bison fat, beef & lamb are out of stock.

i may be allergic to butter and raw butter, so i try not to eat it.

i wish i could get some of that yellow back fat that is supposed to taste great, so far all the back fat i've got is white.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 06:01:25 am »
when i chew suet it becomes like bubblegum and never disintegrates... i have to swallow it like gum...

yep, that's it.  the only other option is to melt the fat and get rid of connective tissue.

the softest fat is pig belly fat.  i think cow's belly fat would be as soft, it's just cow are not as fat.

rib-eye is the fattest cut, lamb ribs are very fatty too.

back fat is suppose to be white, i've never seen yellow back fat.  maybe in the old animals it gets yellow, in younger animals it is always white.  chicken fat is kind of yellow.  chicken skin is very fatty as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk