Author Topic: Georgians/Abkhasians  (Read 6239 times)

Metallica

Georgians/Abkhasians
« on: August 29, 2008, 01:08:04 am »
The following material is summarized from the discussion on the topic in Benet [1974].

Staple plant foods. A cornmeal mash, known as abista, is a major staple, as are other cornmeal dishes. Abista may be eaten at each meal of the day (i.e., 3 times/day). Nuts are heavily consumed, and are used for flavoring foods in place of butter. Wild chestnuts are abundant in the region, and the nuts are a staple food for winter. Pickled vegetables and lima beans are also popular; from Benet [1974, p. 24]:

Vegetables may be served cooked or raw, but are most commonly pickled. A favorite dish eaten almost every day is baby lima beans, cooked slowly for many hours, mashed and flavored with a sauce of onions, green peppers, coriander, garlic, and pomegranate juice. With rare exceptions, vegetables are preferred one of two ways: raw, or cooked in very small amounts of water...

Fruits. Fresh fruit is available seasonally in Georgia, and the Abkhasians eat large amounts. Pears are commonly cooked to produce a thick syrup which is used as a sugar substitute. Abkhasia is a major wine producer, and grapes are a popular food. Benet [1974, p. 25] claims that "a man may eat fifty kilograms [of grapes] in a single season."

The Abkhasians grow pomegranates, which are used as basting sauce for meats. They also dry fruits for storage and later consumption. Citrus fruits are popular as well.

A local spice is used in place of salt: adzhika, a mixture of locally grown, mostly pungent/bitter plant foods mixed with nuts. Abkhasians also eat some wild plants, most notably barberry, Barberis vulgaris.

Staple animal foods. From Benet [1974, p. 25]:

The Abkhasians eat relatively little meat--perhaps once or twice a week--and prefer chicken, beef, lamb, and kid [juvenile goat]. The meat is always freshly slaughtered and either broiled or boiled for a minimal amount of time...

Not more than two or three eggs are eaten a week, and these are either boiled or fried...

Fat from meat and poultry is not used at all, and butter very seldom.

The Abkhasians dislike fatty meat and typically trim off as much fat as possible before eating. Honey, an insect-processed product, is also consumed.

Although Abkhasians eat little meat, they do consume considerable amounts of dairy. They consume 1-2 glasses of matzoni per day, a locally produced fermented milk product that is similar to buttermilk. Additionally, they typically cut up goat cheese and cook it in their meals of abista, the cornmeal mash that is a major staple of their daily diet.

The Abkhasian diet is 74% milk + vegetables (note: unfortunately, the source here [Benet 1974] does not give the exact split between milk and vegetables out of that 74%), and provides about 73 grams of protein, 47 grams fat, and 381 grams carbohydrate per day. The elderly consume about 1900 cal/day, which is on the low side.
http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw...cooked-3i.shtml

this is known to be the worlds healthiest and longest living people ever.
i though that was really interesting on the amount of carbs that consume and the amount of cooked foods they eat.
any comments please

i know raw is better

but i still think some people can do very good on either high carb / low fat.. i believe the body has to either run on carbs or fat, so its either high carb low fat, or high fat, low carb. which everone makes you feel good

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Georgians/Abkhasians
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 01:22:36 am »
I think beyondveg.com has already addressed this point:- The Georgians/Abkhazians often have a tradition of the son getting the father's name, the result is that it's easy for them to claim to be older than they actually are, given the lack of documentation, at the time that the Georgians got their supposed reputation for longevity(early 20th century):-

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D0DE0DE143FF931A35750C0A9629C8B63

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longevity_myths
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 03:28:19 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Metallica

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 01:45:11 am »
thanx for the links, this is what i thought all along

Satya

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 06:31:53 am »
Here's an article I found today on life expectancy being tied to geographic location:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26438376/

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 07:36:28 am »
An area near where I live has the longest living females in Australia  the area has a really comfortable climate it's in the county but not more than a 2 hour drive to the city so you get the clean air and sunshine plus the convenience of city health care etc.

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 12:49:34 am »
I wonder how people are classified as the "healthiest." I've heard also that Hunza Valley Pakistani's are healthiest, Okinawans are healthiest, Inuit are healthiest etc.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 02:09:18 am »
I wonder how people are classified as the "healthiest." I've heard also that Hunza Valley Pakistani's are healthiest, Okinawans are healthiest, Inuit are healthiest etc.

I agree, most of those claims are dubious, at best. Plus, modern medical intervention can keep people alive for far longer than they would have if they'd lived a 100 years ago. So, diet isn't the only factor.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 11:42:32 pm »
My mom told me about a article she read about a old Japanese guy who lived long and ate mainly rice and fish.

I told her that the rice was necessary to his diet because fish is usually low in fat and since fat couldn't dominate his diet he needed carbs so he wouldn't get protein sickness.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk