Author Topic: Fuel of the Digestive System  (Read 8300 times)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Fuel of the Digestive System
« on: January 02, 2011, 05:59:10 am »
What fuels can the digestive system run off of?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel of the Digestive System
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 08:30:11 am »
You mean to increase acid production to break down food?
Maybe try raw vinegar...

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 09:04:29 am »
Enzymess probiotics bacteria acid ermm glucose??

Offline Stancel

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 04:52:54 pm »
Fiber...

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=59

Certain types of fiber are referred to as fermentable fibers because they are fermented by the "friendly" bacteria that live in the large intestine. The fermentation of dietary fiber in the large intestine produces a short-chain fatty acid called butyric acid, which serves as the primary fuel for the cells of the large intestine and helps maintain the health and integrity of the colon.

Two other short-chain fatty acids produced during fermentation, propionic and acetic acid are used as fuel by the cells of the liver and muscles. In addition, propionic acid may be responsible, at least in part, for the cholesterol-lowering properties of fiber.

In animal studies, propionic acid has been shown to inhibit HMG-CoA reductase, an enzyme involved in the production of cholesterol by the liver. By lowering the activity of this enzyme, blood cholesterol levels may be lowered.

In addition, fermentable fibers help maintain healthy populations of friendly bacteria. In addition to producing necessary short-chain fatty acids, these bacteria play an important role in the immune system by preventing pathogenic (disease-causing) bacteria from surviving in the intestinal tract.

As is the case with insoluble fiber, fibers that are not fermentable in the large intestine help maintain bowel regularity by increasing the bulk of the feces and decreasing the transit time of fecal matter through the intestines. Bowel regularity is associated with a decreased risk for colon cancer and hemorrhoids (when the hemorrhoids are related to straining and constipation).

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 06:02:27 pm »
I think hes asking if its like the brain and requires glucose or are like muscles and will use glucose if available but will otherwise use ketones.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 07:07:48 pm »
I think hes asking if its like the brain and requires glucose or are like muscles and will use glucose if available but will otherwise use ketones.

Yes, that's basically what I was asking, but I asked more generally because I don't even know enough about it to ask even that specifically.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 10:52:32 pm »
?

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 11:47:04 pm »
good question rofl

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 12:00:49 am »
first, fiber is not an essential nutrient for human what-so-ever.  human body can function perfectly fine without any fiber in the diet.

and second, this website you are referencing, it follows mainstream dogma of mostly low-fat, cooked grains, fruits and vegetables, salads.  

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 12:15:28 am »
Tons of bacteria might help.
The stomach contains a huge amount of glands to fat and protein are most likely essential.

Do you have any specific issues or are you just curious?

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 12:36:09 am »
??? Digestion takes a lot of energy, at least from everything I've heard. I was just wondering what fuels it can use for that energy. I seem to remember hearing on a nature show, that a crocodile's digestive system worked anaerobically.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 12:47:24 am by miles »

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 01:04:41 am »
The digestive system is just a bunch of muscle contractions so it's just glucose.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 01:19:55 am »
human body can function perfectly fine without any fiber in the diet.
Human body can function without any fiber - that's true.
But not perfectly.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 01:44:17 am »
Fiber...

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=59

Certain types of fiber are referred to as fermentable fibers because they are fermented by the "friendly" bacteria that live in the large intestine. The fermentation of dietary fiber in the large intestine produces a short-chain fatty acid called butyric acid, which serves as the primary fuel for the cells of the large intestine and helps maintain the health and integrity of the colon.

Two other short-chain fatty acids produced during fermentation, propionic and acetic acid are used as fuel by the cells of the liver and muscles. In addition, propionic acid may be responsible, at least in part, for the cholesterol-lowering properties of fiber.

In animal studies, propionic acid has been shown to inhibit HMG-CoA reductase, an enzyme involved in the production of cholesterol by the liver. By lowering the activity of this enzyme, blood cholesterol levels may be lowered.

In addition, fermentable fibers help maintain healthy populations of friendly bacteria. In addition to producing necessary short-chain fatty acids, these bacteria play an important role in the immune system by preventing pathogenic (disease-causing) bacteria from surviving in the intestinal tract.

As is the case with insoluble fiber, fibers that are not fermentable in the large intestine help maintain bowel regularity by increasing the bulk of the feces and decreasing the transit time of fecal matter through the intestines. Bowel regularity is associated with a decreased risk for colon cancer and hemorrhoids (when the hemorrhoids are related to straining and constipation).

Interesting...
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 02:44:15 am »

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
  • Eating the best realistic diet
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 03:11:00 am »
... and very true
Similar information can be found here - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/fiber-its-natures-broom.html

This article mentions that fiber decreases nutrient and mineral absorbtion.I wonder how many ZCers would be interested in that?
"Eat the best of what's available and call it a day"

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 03:27:19 am »
This article mentions that fiber decreases nutrient and mineral absorbtion.
But only a little bit.
"When fiber intake is increased from foods (as opposed to dietary supplements), there is generally an increase in mineral intake in the first place which should help to offset any issues."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk