Author Topic: Hello, my name is Max.  (Read 11781 times)

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Hello, my name is Max.
« on: January 05, 2011, 04:05:28 am »
Hi everyone,

I've read the forums for the past few months and I am excited to try Raw Paleo.  Previously my WOE was cooked paleo (meat, mostly grassfed), and around 50g of carbs per day from fruit.

I am getting a side of grassfed beef towards the end of January.  I am trying to prepare myself for eating Raw beef.  I am currently (this moment) eating Raw yellowtail tuna.  I am finding it difficult.  That is why I am writing this post, to further my resolve.

I've finished eating a half a pound of tuna raw, I will try to do the same tomorrow.  Thanks to all posters on this forum for your inspiring stories.

-Max

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 06:31:24 am by TylerDurden »
"The strong white teeth sank into the raw and dripping flesh in apparent relish of the meal, but Clayton could not bring himself to share the uncooked meat with his strange host; instead he watched him, and presently there dawned upon him the conviction that this was Tarzan of the Apes....." - Edgar Rice Burroughs, 'Tarzan of the Apes'

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, my name is Max.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 04:08:09 am »
Welcome Max! Take it easy!

François
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 05:04:21 am »
Welcome!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 06:33:17 am »
Buy small amounts of dozens of different kinds of raw animal foods, at first. You will find, usually, that c.90 percent are off-putting and c.10 percent taste fine. Over time, you will get used to (and enjoy the taste of)more and more of the foods in the 1st category.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline riy freeman

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 07:17:59 am »
welcome >D

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 08:32:35 am »
Thank you all for the welcome, and thank you Tyler for the advice.
"The strong white teeth sank into the raw and dripping flesh in apparent relish of the meal, but Clayton could not bring himself to share the uncooked meat with his strange host; instead he watched him, and presently there dawned upon him the conviction that this was Tarzan of the Apes....." - Edgar Rice Burroughs, 'Tarzan of the Apes'

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 09:07:29 am »
Raw Tuna Sashimi?
Too easy.
Think of all the Japanese who eat it as sashimi.
Think of all the Japanese restaurants where it is served.
Try it by squeezing a little lemon over it and dipping it in authentic soy sauce, add some wasabi and think you ordered some expensive meal in a Japanese restaurant.

Then let go of the soy sauce, then let go of the wasabi, then eventually let go of the lemon.

Take your time.

You are a lucky young guy starting younger than many of us!
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 09:17:10 am »
Yeah, you could try some raw sauces to get used to some raw meats. I like grass fed beef and bison more than tuna. I like it all.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 03:54:48 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 11:00:52 am »
Hi Max and welcome.  It sounds like your previous WOE of cooked grass-fed meat with 50g of carbs has worked well for you, and many young people have found it optimal in that it works well socially for them while providing great health.  Don't be too quick to abandon this, or expect huge gains by substituting raw anything for lightly cooked.  You'll also probably find red meats and fats more satisfying than eggs, fish, or fowl.

Pay attention to your body and do what works, not what others think is the perfect diet as there is no such thing. Eating should provide the energy and well-being to live a great life allowing you to effortlessly and transparently follow your passions, not as an end in itself.

Lex

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 11:38:33 am »
Thank you all for the advice.  I plan on trying to fully transition to raw paleo once I get my side of grassfed beef at the end of January.  For now I am trying to become more accustomed to raw meat.

My current diet is working well for me, but it seems the more I eliminate (sugar, wheat, grains, and adding carb restriction) the better I feel.  I am also going to try this diet because of the healing aspects.  I have an injury from weightlifting that has left me in chronic pain for the last 3 years.  I have tried the conventional method of healing (Doctors, Physical Therapists, Chiropractors, Prescriptions) but none of that worked.  I know this diet is good for healing, though I don't know if it can help with my specific injury/pain, but it can't hurt to try.

Since my injury I have been more and more interested in health and quality of life.  Even if my injury gets no better on the raw paleo WOE, if my overall heath improves I will be happy.

The words of encouragement are greatly appreciated.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 03:59:27 pm »
Well, a rawpalaeodiet did help me and others with various aches and pains, minor to major. That said, have you tried homeopathy tablets for that particular symptom? I found homeopathy useless for actually curing/solving any of my conditions in any permanent fashion, but it did seem to have a beneficial effect in removing some of the more overt symptoms re pain/fatigue, though that was, of course, only very temporary in duration.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline turkish

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 09:43:29 pm »
for pain - i would recommend qigong.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 10:30:22 pm »
acupuncture comes to mind for immediate relief.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 03:01:59 am »
Hi all, thanks for the suggestions.  I have not tried homeopathy tablets.  I may try them but I don't want to just cover up my symptoms, I want to heal myself.  GS I have been seeing a acupuncturist for the past 4 months around once a week.  I don't know if it has helped but it relaxes me and it isn't too expensive.  I have also tried Qigong, but not for an extended period of time, so I may try that again.

I do have a plan for healing myself.  I hope it works.  It is pretty complicated and I will probably post it sometime on my journal after I start it.  I was thinking about starting a journal (either when I go completely raw or maybe sooner).

For today I have some more raw tuna that I will be consuming for my first meal.  Next week when I can get to the store that sells good meat (I live in a small town and have to drive a while to get there) I think I will pick up a variety so I can try some different raw foods and see what I enjoy.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 06:56:40 am »
This update is more for myself than anyone else.  I think if I continue posting here it will keep me honest.  I ate the rest of my raw tuna over the course of the week, ending with a half pound today.  After my first meal of raw then I ate cooked paleo the rest of the day.  I will be cooked paleo until Tuesday next week, when I can get some more good meat.  The next few weeks hopefully I can adjust sufficiently to raw so that when I get my side of beef I will be ready to go completely raw.   :)

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 10:22:10 am »
welcome! :)

i think wodg had an athletic-related injury that was not helped by chiropractic, etc., but he did recover by diet.  maybe he'll chime in, or maybe try looking in his journal for the details.

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 12:03:20 pm »
I have an injury from weightlifting that has left me in chronic pain for the last 3 years.

I have had a fractured disc because of a too heavy dead lift. There is no doubt in my mind that 2 things have helped the healing speed up. 1.A primarily raw animal diet 2.a good chiropractor. The chiropractor predited a 3-4 months healing time based on his experience with similar injuries. it took 2 and left him puzzled. 

I have not tried homeopathy tablets.  I may try them but I don't want to just cover up my symptoms, I want to heal myself.

If you do, you should get the most expensive brand that you can find. For some odd reason, placebo works better the more money people have to pay for it.I have no doubt that Tyler had good but non lasting results with homeopathy, but I do share these same  reservations about it as James Randi explain at this lecture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWE1tH93G9U

I dont think that you should spend money on it. Obviously there are many well meaning practitioners of homeopathy with a genuine wish to help others, but just like all other 'alternative medicine' it is a cesspool, so you may get a good run around for your money before you actually find someone who can help you with anything other than slimming your wallet. And when you do, it will come down to other things they know rather than the "medicine" itself.

I have been seeing a acupuncturist for the past 4 months around once a week.  I don't know if it has helped but it relaxes me and it isn't too expensive.

Also primarily hokus pokus, but often the people who practice it have a deep insight into things such as actual herbal medicine (as opposed to homeopathy) and diet. I went to see one, and his treatment as a whole did help me. But lets review what he did. The first thing he told me (and this was 10-15 years ago) was to cut wheat and coffee as it "is a poison". he told me to drink more water and eat more "whole foods" (he meant raw) and gave me some herbal pills that helped along a detox. Acupuncture does seem to have an effect on animals however, so atleast for me the jury is still out. Placebo does nothing for animals, its a human thing, so there is something else going on. But 1 animal trial (that I know of) does not carry a lot of weight. Especially since I dont know the exact details. I really hope you get better, but  getting fleesed by snakesoil salesmen wont help your mood along. At all.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 04:40:04 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 04:47:25 pm »
While Brother may well ultimately be right re the placebo effect and homeopathy, I did experience some difference with it compared to other things. When I tried processed supplements, I would feel a slight placebo-like effect which was very minor, for up to 24 hours afterwards before stopping, but there was no significant benefit in any particular symptom. Aajonus, however, suggested that something else was at work, though, that the supplements were stimulating peoples' adrenals, giving them a false temporary "feel-good effect".

My experience with homeopathy, while temporary, actually significantly relieved specific symptoms I had at the time in a big way(things like fatigue or anxiety were suddenly reduced). And the effects were greater than the slight effect I got from supplements.

I have also heard about many farmers confirming that animals have benefitted from homeopathy. Of course, the jury is still out.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:00:10 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 04:49:20 pm »
I have also heard about many farmers confirming that animals have benefitted from homeopathy.
So the placebo effect is very unlikely in that case.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline SteakNchop

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 05:04:04 pm »
Welcome!

Offline turkish

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 10:53:40 pm »
While Brother may well ultimately right re the placebo effect and homeopathy, I did experience some difference with it compared to other things. When I tried processed supplements, I would feel a slight placebo-like effect which was very minor, for up to 24 hours afterwards before stopping, but there was no significant benefit in any particular symptom. Aajonus, however, suggested that something else was at work, though, that the supplements were stimulating peoples' adrenals, giving them a false temporary "feel-good effect".

We have had good result with homeopath, the biggest issue i had with homeopath is "how can it solve a problem longterm without a change in lifestyle".

My answer to that is "use homeopathy to resolve your symptoms quickly (short term)  change lifestyle (raw whole foods, sleep habit, meditation) for long term solution. Without the second part the first would stop working quickly. Also i believe homeopathy is a energy medicine.

I know a good homeopathy doctor, that is effective, short term.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 11:02:48 pm »
So the placebo effect is very unlikely in that case.
Well, the sceptics apparently have their own alternative interpretation of that:- they state that the farmer feels good about giving the animal medicine because he believes in homeopathy, so the animal senses this and feels better too due to the placebo effect, without curing anything.

" Ron Paul.

Offline turkish

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 11:12:44 pm »
Well, the sceptics apparently have their own alternative interpretation of that:- they state that the farmer feels good about giving the animal medicine because he believes in homeopathy, so the animal senses this and feels better too due to the placebo effect, without curing anything.

good one, i loved it.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 05:00:41 am »
Hello again,

Thank you for the further welcomes and for the advice (Brother, Tyler, and all).  I am excited to do this diet and I am glad to have all this support.

I have been seeing a chiropractor recently and I think he has helped a bit.  I am curious if anyone here has tried Rolfing? (definition: Rolfing Structural Integration is a form of bodywork that reorganizes the connective tissues, called fascia, that permeate the entire body)  I was considering Rolfing amongst other things to try.

Thanks for the help and encouragement.  :)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 06:09:19 am »
Have you tried rofling max? It targets all muscle groups especially the core.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk