Author Topic: High meat gone green?  (Read 9363 times)

Offline Coatue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
High meat gone green?
« on: January 15, 2011, 11:06:23 am »
So I tried making high meat with grass fed beef stew meat from Wegmans that gets their beef from Uruguay. I've been airing it once day and its stored in a air tight mason jar in a cabinet out of the fridge. It was day 3 today and I saw that patches of the meat became green so I threw it out. I've made 2 batches of high meat in the past before and its never turned green on me. Why do you think this happened? Was I right in my assumption that it was not OK to eat?

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: High meat gone green?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 12:05:16 pm »
I never had much luck with beef highmeat, it seems to always turn green on me, but lamb has always aged much better as far as taste and effect it turns grey and slimy rather nicely. I have eatten some greenish highmeat and although didn't get any bad reaction out of it , I just feel kind off after eatting it. Anyone else experience green high meat. Sometimes the green mold will eventually be eattin away by other molds and bacteria, so three days is much to some to give up on a batch of highmeat, I have had some meat that started out green but finished as decent highmeat after a few more weeks.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 01:40:11 am »
When I eat liver I usually let it sit out to warm up. The outside is almost always green/blue when I eat it.
Still good stuff. Granted I have not yet found some fresh never frozen liver.

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 03:03:02 am »
Green is usually when its not getting enough air over it..  You can still eat it but it has a gross taste.  If you turn it into jerky it makes it taste good again.
That's not paleo.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 06:45:44 am »
High Meat Gone Green. Should be a late night infomercial.

Green is usually when its not getting enough air over it..  You can still eat it but it has a gross taste.  If you turn it into jerky it makes it taste good again.

wait, you make jerky out of high meats? how do you dry it out on skewers?

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 07:10:58 am »
I had some chunks of meat hanging on wire. I had them kinda boxed in since i was trying to keep the flys off of them and i guess the air was too stale, or some fungus from the wood(because it was also my wood room) got onto the meat and turned it green and it tasted kind of like maggots had gotten into it.. that kind of ammonia taste.

Well it tasted pretty gross even though we could eat it, so i just sliced it up and hung it above my wood stove and it dried out after a few days and tasted great.

You can turn pretty much anything into jerky.
That's not paleo.

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 09:35:39 pm »
Every time I do high meat with liver it turns green and doesn't seem to have much bacteria growth, but it does taste good. High meat with heart doesn't green but tastes terrible. Chicken and kidney don't green on me either.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 02:50:14 pm »
Horse meat is "predisposed" to become a little bit green during the aging process.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 08:59:21 pm »
I have made the most wonderful high meat from an aged calf shoulder. I let it set out on a rack in my shed and have been cutting little bits off of it for the past 3 weeks. It seems that the longer it ages the more easily I can cut off the bits of meat still attached to the bone and connective tissue.

This high meat actually taste good to me now. There was a time when high meat was a bit to strong so I would bolt it down, and the stuff I make in the jars still taste a little rank but this meat I have been aging in my shed taste great.

I need a meat locker for the summer time to keep the bugs off of it, Dose anyone think an old fridge, set on a higher temp would work for open air aging in warmer weather. I have gotten hooked on my aged calf and I have some calf ribs that are beginning to age, but its just a matter of time before the spring comes along and brings invading insects that will ruin my stash.

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 06:15:14 am »
Sabertooth,

This man's blog may interest you. He demonstrates how to convert a fridge to a meat locker.

http://mattikaarts.com/blog/charcuterie/meat-curing-at-home-the-setup/

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 09:41:59 am »
Yeah I have a calf quarter hanging in a fridge in my meat shed, but I haven't rigged it up like a meat locker yet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk