Author Topic: Numbness in arms and hands on a raw paleo diet  (Read 7391 times)

Offline Rawdietforhealth

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Numbness in arms and hands on a raw paleo diet
« on: January 17, 2011, 07:14:09 am »
I have noticed that I am waking up more often with numbness in my hands and more regular muscle cramps in my feet and lower legs at night.  Anyone else suffer from these symptoms on a raw paleo diet?  My food intake is mostly raw red meat, raw tuna, vegetables (mostly in juice), 5-6 young coconuts a day, some fruit, and 3-4 raw eggs a day.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
Re: Numbness in arms and hands on a raw paleo diet
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 07:55:56 am »
Could be mind/body issues, your on a great diet so shouldn't be having getting body parts numbing from eating good food.

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 08:57:11 am »
Sounds like your diet is a bit restricted.

Eat more vegs and more carbs.

Also a heavy meat diet does have some weird effects on people to begin with. My heart raced for like 3-4 weeks when I started.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 10:07:46 am by ForTheHunt »
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 11:42:08 am »
I've had alot of periods with muscle cramps...awful. pretty much have gone away.

the temp thing could be nothing, could be thyroid or some other shit...I assume where you live is fairly warm? its in 20s (F) here and i'll go walking outside for a bit with a t-shirt or light sweatshit. Girls say I feel warm to boot, so I know i'm handling cold alot better than in the past, but do seem to have some peculiar fluctuations. like if I am out for a long time my body temp actually drops more rapidly than others I think. I don't know what that is about myself other than the typical raw 'lore' about cooked food raising temperature.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 01:53:46 pm »
My muscle cramps started 3 yrs ago when I was pregnant. After that when i've strated eating RPD, it becomes a regular issue. In summer, nude sunbathing helps to stop muscle cramps completely. But now it strats again. couple of months I take vit C and vit D3 regularly and that also help to reduce my muscle cramps.
bugs or country chickens

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 02:23:50 pm »
Assuming these cramps are diet related, you could consider eating some whole raw vegetables that have high magnesium.

Athletes especially, are known to get magnesium deficiency, and a symptom is muscle cramping. When you exercise you deplete your magnesium reserves.

I can't say for sure that eating foods with magnesium will help with your muscle cramping, but that is the first approach I would most likely take for myself.

Some foods high in magnesium are: spinach, swiss chard, dandelion greens, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds. There are others, those are just some examples.

Hydration is also very important. When I exercise and am dehydrated I start cramping all over the place.

Offline stoneforest

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 02:42:16 am »
It sounds like ur having  classic neuropathic symptoms. Are u feeling cold or tingling hands or feet? u may want to consider seeing a Neurologist for diagnostic purposes.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 06:47:39 am »
Happened to me to but it went away. Eat more fruit.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline stoneforest

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 11:01:18 am »
IMO i would not eat more fruit until the reason for these neurological symptoms is understood. although u do not meet the present criteria for diabetes u may be "glucose intolerant" aka pre-diabetic. a small study shows that 75% patients with neuropathies of unknown origin have blood glucose levels over 140.

i would actually eat less carbs. and if i ate carbs it would not be fruits but rather low glycemic index vegetables. neuropathy can be caused by vitamin deficiencies, autoimmune causes, etc. if u suffer from gout it may be that ur kidneys can not excrete uric acid adequately and fructose consumption has been associated with gout flare-ups.

see a neurologist for diagnostic purposes, have ur glucose levels monitored. the neurologist should do a complete work-up including nerve conduction study, and labwork (vitamin B6, B12, D, folic acid).  hope this helps. if u have renal insufficiency vitamin B6 supplementation may help.

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 02:11:02 pm »
Assuming these cramps are diet related, you could consider eating some whole raw vegetables that have high magnesium.

Athletes especially, are known to get magnesium deficiency, and a symptom is muscle cramping. When you exercise you deplete your magnesium reserves.

I can't say for sure that eating foods with magnesium will help with your muscle cramping, but that is the first approach I would most likely take for myself.

Some foods high in magnesium are: spinach, swiss chard, dandelion greens, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds. There are others, those are just some examples.

Hydration is also very important. When I exercise and am dehydrated I start cramping all over the place.

You're spot on!

1) Reduce salt intake by only getting sodium from food as in the sodium naturally in meats and veg. Sodium messes with other mineral absorbtion you don't need that much.

2) Yes spinach, swiss chard, summer squash, nuts and seeds all contain mag. However eat nuts/seeds sprouted with long tails as they contain enzyme inhibitors which will fuck you up lol. Also edible clays contain magnesium so try it out (green clays)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk