Author Topic: Pygmies and Chimpanzees  (Read 3796 times)

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Pygmies and Chimpanzees
« on: September 05, 2008, 12:16:41 am »
I looked up pygmies in an old encyclopedia. I read their stomach naturally protrudes and that they eat mostly plants. I did here a similar thing about chimps. Chimps stomachs petrude much more than the pygmies though. But the reason I believe I heard was that chimps needed a that big protruding stomach to digest all the fibrous plant life they consume.

xylothrill

Re: Pygmies and Chimpanzees
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 12:35:11 am »
I'd like to see a source. I wonder if the Pygmies were actually anatomically different or if they were just malnourished. My bet's on the latter.

I'd try to find something on the net but it's my day off and I have four aquariums that badly require maintenance.

One thing - you actually STILL have encyclopedias in book form? I thought they were obsolete.  :)

Craig

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 12:42:05 am »
Aren't pygmies supposed to have extra fat-layers(especially fat buttocks) due to genetic reasons? It's just that I vaguely remember some photos of such tribes.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 12:44:17 am »
Aren't pygmies supposed to have extra fat-layers(especially fat buttocks) due to genetic reasons? It's just that I vaguely remember some photos of such tribes.
I don't know, interesting topic. Pygmies still hunt and gather right? Isaw an old video clip of them eating elephant, i think it was raw.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 01:33:23 am by Sully »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 01:22:01 am »
Yep, they hunt and gather, all right. I believe that they hunted in the forests in Africa, forests are not areas known for  much cultivation.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 01:35:36 am »
Yep, they hunt and gather, all right. I believe that they hunted in the forests in Africa, forests are not areas known for  much cultivation.
i also did a little research on african bushman. They eat mostly plants too. Right? interesting, Eskimos and bushman both live in harsh climates, desert and artic, one eats mainly animal foods, one eats mainly plants.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 01:45:12 am »
A great book on the pygmies is called "The Forest People"
was truly a great read.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 01:51:10 am »