Author Topic: Vitamin E?  (Read 12281 times)

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
Vitamin E?
« on: February 02, 2011, 09:11:04 pm »
Anyone know any paleo and non nut/nut product sources of vitamin e? I’ve searched everywhere and checked nutritional data and not even tallow or liver supply needed vitamin e. I’m panicking because I think I have a vitamin e deficiency now.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Re: Vitamin E?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 09:48:57 pm »
I you have a sufficiently broad choice of paleo foodstuff (raw meat, fish, shellfish, eggs, vegetables, fruits, nuts) it would be difficult to have any deficiency!
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 10:09:58 pm »
    I don't worry for myself for individual nutrients.  I do think grassfed raw foods have E in them anyway.  E is a wonderful vitamin, it apparently restored my period to me when I was a vegan life-styler.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline cliff

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 10:32:04 pm »
Red palm oil has 11mg per tbsp

Its a fruit so it meets your prereq

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 12:21:10 am »

Its a fruit so it meets your prereq

Palm oil is like a fruit oil so no...I don't eat fruits or fruit products, nut products/nuts, or vegetable oils they all cause me internal discomfort. Any other sources?

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 03:48:17 am »
Nutrition data probably has data for grain fed meats so the true vitamin e content is probably not on there. Also, you don't need as much vitamin E if you don't eat too many unsaturated fats.

You probably get other antioxidant nutrients from the diet as well.
All I want is the truth... Just gimme some truth.
"I wanna be the minority."

Offline Bronwen

• Trapper
    • View Profile
    • Yoga & Wellbeing
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 08:11:18 pm »
Do you class avocado as a fruit in your diet? That has Vit E, about 2mg per 100g. Do you tolerate greens, especially wild greens? They all have small amounts of Vit E too.
    I do think grassfed raw foods have E in them anyway.
Yes, as far as I know, they all have small amounts, even egg yolks do.
I you have a sufficiently broad choice of paleo foodstuff (raw meat, fish, shellfish, eggs, vegetables, fruits, nuts) it would be difficult to have any deficiency!
Yes, I agree.....all these things mentioned have small amounts, so a varied diet should be giving the amounts we need.
May I always maintain an open mind in my quest for TRUTH - "The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr,Danish Physicist

Offline cliff

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 11:31:17 pm »
Yes, as far as I know, they all have small amounts, even egg yolks do.

I get around 200% vitamin E from mostly pastured butter and egg yolks, yolks especially are pretty rich.  Pastured Meat is pretty rich as well.

@OP you claim all fruits give you digestion problems but have you tried palm oil?  Its pretty much a pure fat, if you can handle animal foods you should be able to handle palm oil.

Offline Bronwen

• Trapper
    • View Profile
    • Yoga & Wellbeing
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 02:40:07 am »
I get around 200% vitamin E from mostly pastured butter and egg yolks, yolks especially are pretty rich.  Pastured Meat is pretty rich as well.
yes, I didn't mention butter as I didn't know whether you do dairy or not Techydude. I make ghee for myself - don't know whether this is paleo or not, and it probably wouldn't classify as raw. But it is very high in Vit E, and is very soothing on the digestion. Its health benefits for the digestion and for better absorption of various nutrients are highly recommended by Ayurvedic physicians.
It is very easy to make , if you are interested I will describe it to you (it is basically Butter Oil - all the milk solids are heated off). But I would definitely recommend making it yourself, as the bought stuff is sometimes mixed with vegetable oil!
May I always maintain an open mind in my quest for TRUTH - "The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr,Danish Physicist

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 10:41:26 am »
I was eating some red palm oil early into the diet for a fat and vitamin source, before I found my animal fat supply. I would take about a tablespoon and wash it down with a couple of raw eggs. I seemed to do well with it. I quit using it because the organic cold pressed brand I was using was expensive(14 dollars a jar) and the taste is a little bitter.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline FoxWoman

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 07:43:24 am »
One OmegaPro egg yolk (I don`t know about other types of eggs though - OmegaPro eggs have very rich, thick, dark orange yolks) has 50% RDA of vitamin E. So, if you eat just 2 such eggs a day, you are pretty much covered.

Offline FoxWoman

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 03:07:37 am »
Here is a very good article on Vitamin E (by Ray Peat, Vitamin E: Estrogen antagonist, energy promoter, and anti-inflammatory):
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/vitamin-e.shtml

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 03:35:46 am »
Ray Peat is a somewhat unscrupulous guy who is heavily anti-PUFA  and cites dodgy science. He is a prime example of the need to avoid focusing too much on specific nutrients and to go, instead, for raw whole foods.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 09:39:45 pm »
It helps if you read previous posts: ;)

I don't worry for myself for individual nutrients.  I do think grassfed raw foods have E in them anyway.  E is a wonderful vitamin, it apparently restored my period to me when I was a vegan life-styler.
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 03:11:06 am »
I know, but Ray Peat also attacks vitamin E as well, which is why I mentioned him. His ridiculous anti-PUFA sta,nce just happens to be his main thesis, so I mentioned that rather.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk