Author Topic: Eating the right animals  (Read 9237 times)

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
Eating the right animals
« on: February 03, 2011, 05:31:46 pm »
I was laying down thinking - if you're eating carnivorously and have dietary needs such as vitamin a, k, calcium, etc - then why not consume the animals that eat what satisfies those dietary needs?

Think about it this way.

On a carnivorous diet we eat only animals not plant life - but we still have plant based vitamin needs. Which are satisfied through animals! But which animals satisfy those hmm?

Bison, Rabbits, Cows, Elk, etc Wild Game, Lamb, all grass/plant life eating animals aka herbivores.

I just found out that it's been noted that grass fed animals raw have high amounts of vitamin e, folate, vitamin c, and a all found in grass. So basically we're deriving our needs from them because they're eating what we need! However, due to our digestive system grass doesn't really seem to agree with us hmm?

Now think about it this way - what other animals are there:

Sealife , etc:
Shellfish, fish and insects, pigs:

Now they may eat plantlife ie algae, seaweed, etc - but they also come into contact with parasitic eggs, dirt (parasites), and some eat other animals too. I know whale, and some fish have vitamin a, c, and folate - but, think about it this way.

If we just focused on cattle and land animals - then would that cut our risk of parasitic infections? It seems harder to get parasites from a grass fed cow eating only grass and not animal products  or animals or in contact with feces than say a pig who digs into a ground, or a fish who swallows a bunch of parasites/parasitic eggs in the sea.

I'm not discounting anyone eating these other animals however because mostly parasitic infection is rare even to paleoers. But it seems like an interesting idea to focus on animals that satisfy our needs are aren't "dirty" because they come into contact with dirt, or other carnivorous animals, etc.

Anyone get my idea?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Eating the right animals
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 07:05:48 pm »
It is pointless to worry about parasitic infestations as they are so incredibly rare on  a raw, palaeolithic diet. When they do occur, they are of minor note and , anyway, herbs and drugs get rid of them easily nowadays, should one want to.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 11:45:45 am »
I have been on this site for about 2 years now and the only one to get an infection was tyler and that was from some low grade meat. Also a side note, no harm was done to tyler in anyway. I myself have no troubles with it. I know yuli would eat salmon even after finding parasites in it and had no problems either.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 05:03:44 pm »
I have been on this site for about 2 years now and the only one to get an infection was tyler and that was from some low grade meat. Also a side note, no harm was done to tyler in anyway. I myself have no troubles with it. I know yuli would eat salmon even after finding parasites in it and had no problems either.
Well, the  2-3 days before I saw tapeworms in my stools were somewhat painful as my bladder hurt a bit and it particularly hurt to urinate, but that stopped completely after those 2 or 3 days. I am assuming that that pain  had something to do with the parasites - whatever the case, the pain I had appears to be very rare with tapeworms normally being quite harmless.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 02:47:16 am »

Tyler + GoodSamaritain + Löwenherz

= 3 x tapeworm

Löwenherz

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 02:56:06 am »
Tyler + GoodSamaritain + Löwenherz

= 3 x tapeworm

Löwenherz

Compared to countless numbers of rawpalaeos who never get tapeworms on a RVAF diet. In short, the parasite scares are bogus.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 03:09:40 am »
  Compared to countless numbers of rawpalaeos who never get tapeworms on a RVAF diet. In short, the parasite scares are bogus.

I hope you are right. I tend to believe that the parasite issue is primarily linked to domestication of animals. Parasitic infections in ruminants explode as long as these animals have to graze on the same grasslands again and again...

Löwenherz

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 03:21:09 am »
I hope you are right. I tend to believe that the parasite issue is primarily linked to domestication of animals. Parasitic infections in ruminants explode as long as these animals have to graze on the same grasslands again and again...

Löwenherz

Even grassfed animals are routinely given deworming drugs, however organic,  so I doubt that parasites are an issue.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 03:27:29 am »
  Even grassfed animals are routinely given deworming drugs, however organic,  so I doubt that parasites are an issue.

They are given regularly deworming drugs because parasites are a big issue.

In this respect you are right, for us these routines reduce the risk.

Löwenherz

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 03:36:30 am »
The trouble with your argument is that many, many RVAFers eat raw wild game most of the time yet do not get parasites at all. I have eaten raw wild game much of the time for 9 years and only had 1 minor incident once, that was it. So, parasites are clearly a non-issue.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 03:44:52 am »
The trouble with your argument is that many, many RVAFers eat raw wild game most of the time yet do not get parasites at all. I have eaten raw wild game much of the time for 9 years and only had 1 minor incident once, that was it. So, parasites are clearly a non-issue.

?? This could be a misunderstanding.

I wrote:
"I tend to believe that the parasite issue is primarily linked to DOMESTICATION of animals. "

Wild animals are NOT living like cows on very small grasslands. Their risk of infection is much lower.

It is one other reason to prefer wild game meat.

Löwenherz

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 03:49:20 am »
Well, strictly speaking, wild animals are MORE prone to parasites as hey have wider access to wider areas that could be infested with parasites.
" Ron Paul.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 03:58:23 am »
I'd like to add that many people promote parasitic infection as a means of healing, could be bogus, but there it is!
For myself I just don't worry about it, when in doubt... garlic or coconut oil.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 04:18:30 am »
Well, strictly speaking, wild animals are MORE prone to parasites as hey have wider access to wider areas that could be infested with parasites.

Not at all.
On limited grasslands one animal with parasites can cause an infestation of many others very quickly. The infested animal leaves parasites on the grass and because the land is very limited the other grazing animals absorb these parasites WITHIN the lifespan of these parasites. Quickly the whole grassland is full of parasites because these poor grazers have usually not more than one hectare space (in europe).

Such a scenario is usually not possible in the wild. Let's assume one animal of a herd is infested. It drops parasites somewhere. The probability that other animals absorb these parasites is significant lower than on fenced grazing land. The herd moves on and on, unlimited freedom. Furthermore an heavily infested animal is more prone to wolfes etc. or is sorted out in other ways very quickly.

Parasites are a big issue in cattle farming. I have learned this from cattle farmers. The smaller the grassland, the more issues with arasites.

Löwenherz

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 02:30:38 pm »
Parasitic infections in ruminants explode as long as these animals have to graze on the same grasslands again and again...
I've eaten a plethora of meat from that kind of sheep and cows. And they are not given any deworming drugs whatsover. The meat has never been inspected.
It's from my friend Abdul, the Muslim.
He said that in Azerbaijan, where he comes from, people have eaten lots of raw dried meat from the sheep and goats and never experienced any problems.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 02:36:35 pm »
Wild animals are NOT living like cows on very small grasslands. Their risk of infection is much lower.
Wild animals have lots of parasites, esp. carnivorous ones. I think that every wild animal is likely to have some parasites. It's natural.
I too can have got them, but haven't got any negative issues.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 04:12:26 pm »
I've eaten a plethora of meat from that kind of sheep and cows. And they are not given any deworming drugs whatsover. The meat has never been inspected.
It's from my friend Abdul, the Muslim.
He said that in Azerbaijan, where he comes from, people have eaten lots of raw dried meat from the sheep and goats and never experienced any problems.

Not having problems doesn't mean that they don't get tapeworms from such meat.

Tapeworms from cows and sheep are usually harmless. Tapeworms from wild boar are said to be potentially very dangerous.

You are right: Wild carnivorous animals have a lot of parasites. But wild ruminants don't...

Löwenherz

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 04:15:30 pm »
I'd like to add that many people promote parasitic infection as a means of healing, could be bogus, but there it is!
For myself I just don't worry about it, when in doubt... garlic or coconut oil.

The truth regarding parasites lies somewhere in the middle, IMO.

Löwenherz

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 04:16:21 pm »
Not having problems doesn't mean that they don't get tapeworms from such meat.
That's true.
So it only proves my argument - there is nothing to worry about. I mean the same way I'm not afraid when I'm riding a bike on the streets.
For sure (100%) we only know that we'll die in the future. The other things are less or more probable.
That's the life  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk