Author Topic: warming fat before eating  (Read 4610 times)

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
warming fat before eating
« on: February 07, 2011, 11:10:51 am »
Does anyone warm their fat(beef) to soften it and bring out more taste before you eat it? If so, how do you warm it? I've been putting it in a sealed glass jar in my car with the windows up, but sometimes it melts/separates and Aajonus says not to heat fat over 104f & I have no idea how hot it's getting. I thought about getting a toaster oven since they have low temps but the minimum listed temperature I've seen is 150f, then below that it's just a guessing game. I could probably get a digital one that hopefully would have an accurate reading at around 100 degrees but they cost a lot more, about $100.

Does anyone know about how the Inuit used to store their food? Seems like they would have been eating a lot of frozen meat/fat.

For me, leaving meat out on the counter is good enough but for fat the texture doesn't seem to change at all. When I warm up the fat, the softer it gets, the better it tastes and I want & am able to eat much more. Also when I just eat it straight out of the fridge/room temp an unknown amount of it comes out the other end whole in little white pea sized lumps.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: warming fat before eating
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 11:25:00 am »
I eat allot of lamb fat which seems much softer and more pleasant to eat than beef fat. I let it warm to room temperature. It seems to digest better, its soft even at fridge temperature, and melts in my mouth.

I have a shed attached to my house where I have been keeping my calf leg, although I have finished off most of it I still have some left that is really high although it taste good and I have been thriving off of it.

A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 01:00:42 pm »
Hmm thanks, I'll look for a local lamb butcher. How do you store your lamb leg? Just hang it up in your shed?

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 10:30:26 pm »
Well its winter time now so the shed stays at below 40 degrees Fahrenheit, I don't know what to do in the summer. I have these racks I set it on.

I will have to get an old fridge and make a meat locker out of it some how.

If you are having trouble with beef fat then definitely go out and find some lamb fat, It is much softer and it melts in the mouth. I find it much easier to digest and it taste so clean that it has little flavor at all.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 11:08:50 pm »
I warm up my cast iron pan and drop in slices of suet and let them soften up. Its a lot more edible like that. You dont get that dry pastyness that suet does in your mouth sometimes.

I also dont believe that the inuit ate raw.. when you're living in freezing conditions, you dont make it worse by eating frozen food haha.
That's not paleo.

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 11:48:36 pm »
Hmm I've read in a bunch of places(I think Aajonus & others) that they ate almost all raw animal meat/fat till white people introduced them to processed foods(canned goods) & alcohol, etc.

Also aren't you worried about damaging the fat by putting it in a hot pan? 104 fahrenheit isn't very hot..

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 01:03:53 am »
Holy shit the bottom left looks like a scorched head!

Of course Eskimos ate raw meat and fat... ???
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 05:45:41 pm »
place in a baggy and run it under hot water in the sink?

or if you want to avoid the plastic, especially since you're heating, you could try putting it in a small glass jar and running/submerging it in hot water instead.. thats what I used to do, though I could only get grainfed fat, but I prefer my fat warm, too.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 11:16:22 am »
Well its winter time now so the shed stays at below 40 degrees Fahrenheit, I don't know what to do in the summer. I have these racks I set it on.

I will have to get an old fridge and make a meat locker out of it some how.

If you are having trouble with beef fat then definitely go out and find some lamb fat, It is much softer and it melts in the mouth. I find it much easier to digest and it taste so clean that it has little flavor at all.

You have your own house right? Ever considered digging a hole, maybe wrap it in animal skin, and store it in the ground? The eskimo's did it with their high meat and I know lots of animals bury their food, humans must have done the same as well.

Maybe line the sides of the hole with wood or rocks.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 12:33:58 pm »
place in a baggy and run it under hot water in the sink?

or if you want to avoid the plastic, especially since you're heating, you could try putting it in a small glass jar and running/submerging it in hot water instead.. thats what I used to do, though I could only get grainfed fat, but I prefer my fat warm, too.

This, I do it quite often. Just make sure that if you use a bag that you let out all the air so it warms much quicker.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk