Author Topic: Taste for raw meat  (Read 10054 times)

Offline SoulJourner

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Taste for raw meat
« on: February 11, 2011, 08:33:57 am »
Just curious how people have handled the desire  (or not) to eat raw meat? Aajonus suggests that nuts and other sauces given in his book of recipes are to get one past the cravings for carbs and should in general not be needed after a couple of years on the diet when such cravings are supposedly gone.  I eat all my meat prepared with various of the recipes in his book, and other than occasional small amounts of raw beef don't care to eat the raw meat plain.  How have others dealt with this question? Anyone with more than 2 years on the diet and still using such condiments?

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Taste for raw meat
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 01:09:53 pm »
i think it was more of a texture thing for me, but when i first ate raw meat i used a ton of celtic sea salt/garlic blend.  that lasted for about a month i think though, and then i moved on to adding an egg yolk with my meat or dehydrating it for a short while (hour or so) just to get a bit dry on the outside.  for some reason those don't digest as well for me, so i went back to eating fresh, and love it.  now i age the meat to give some flavor (and helps my digestion too).  this dries it out a little as well.  it's been 1.5 years for me so far. 

i also remember that about 3 months in i thought my initial need to disguise the raw meat was so silly, and that cooked meat look ruined.   

i've never tried any of av's recipes, but if i were preparing a raw dish for a friend wanting to try raw then i would.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 01:43:08 pm »
I'm 3 years on the diet and I use no such condiments.
No way.
You get used to it and you like it eventually.
In the 2 year mark, I suddenly liked cold meat,  I like it out of the refrigerator.

You just wait until you are really hungry and you have no choice, all the fruit and all the vegetables are not going to satisfy you, so you eat raw meat and damn... it feels great when you are really hungry.  My 9 year old boy knows that.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 04:15:41 pm »
When I first started going in for RVAF diets, I would pour on raw spices like black pepper/cayenne-pepper/raw garlic/raw onion etc. I then got tired of adding them to my raw muscle-meats but still felt the need to use them for my raw organ-meats for a few more months. I then went for years without adding any spices, except for 1 or 2 short-term experiments with salt or raw honeycomb for various non-taste-related reasons,  which were not successful. In recent times, I've also added raw olive-oil and raw apple-cider vinegar to my raw salads as raw lettuce is hardly palatable without added raw sauces. Also, when I'm eating with others, I will usually have something like a raw "ceviche" with extra cayenne pepper, parsley and raw, freshly-squeezed lemon-juice, as that makes it more acceptable to SAD-eaters.

In very recent times, I've redone some experiments with black pepper and cayenne pepper, to see what changes in my body I've made since being 9 years on rawpalaeo, and I seem to do badly on them. That is, with added spices, however raw, I now find that the raw food just goes through my body faster than normal, seemingly less well absorbed than when without spices.

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 07:36:13 pm »
My personal pet idea is that what really gives cravings are lack of familiar tastes. Carbs often come with strong flavours. Perhaps its not carbs as much as its tastes, but since this connection between strong flavour and carbs are clearly there, you get crawings for things with carbs in them. In other words....its all in your mind. Eat meat with a lot of flavour like slightly dehydrated and dried meat (jerky and pemmican) and crawings are far less frequent I find. I just put a rump roast on a plate in the fridge, uncovered, and leave it there for 2-3 days, but preferbly a week. And then I start to cut from it. The taste is much richer and because of it, i dont use any salt and I find spices on it revolting.

Also I double goodsamaritan on being hungry. You dont over eat meat and fat. But its taste and the feeling of satisfaction it gives when you are really hungry are second to nothing. I quite litterally get "all warm and fuzzy" :D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:37:00 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline SoulJourner

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 03:12:11 am »
Thanks for your replies, these are good ideas. I agree that it's "in the mind" and that's not always easy to change. I have ordered pemmican from US Wellness meat, but my understanding is that it's not truly raw.  I may have to experiment with the aged meat, although I usually find myself repulsed when it's been in the fridge more than a few days and starts to look gray and a bit slimy. Might try a smaller piece because my frugality gene would be bothered by wasting a whole roast if it didn't work ou

Offline SoulJourner

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 10:18:22 am »
What about raw chicken, how do people like/eat it? I don't care for it raw at all, has to be dressed up.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 11:55:24 am »
I may have to experiment with the aged meat, although I usually find myself repulsed when it's been in the fridge more than a few days and starts to look gray and a bit slimy.

age meat looks deep red and dry on the outside with a little extra flavor.. it looks really good!.. not grey nor slimy at all.. maybe that's high meat? 

just a leave a piece of raw meat (out of packaging) on a paper towel in your fridge for about a week and see what you think.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 12:01:40 pm »
What about raw chicken, how do people like/eat it? I don't care for it raw at all, has to be dressed up.

A few weeks ago I had a craving for chicken.  I got cooked chicken and wasn't satisfied.  I got raw chicken and that made me happy.

After that I don't look for chicken anymore.

It's not a staple for me.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 12:17:56 pm »
In the 2 year mark, I suddenly liked cold meat,  I like it out of the refrigerator.
I like the cold meat to. :)
Sometimes I even eat a little bit of frozen meat when it's thawing. But frozen one is imo rather tasteless.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 08:57:12 am »
yeah I had massive cravings for things like coconut butter, nuts, dried fruit, etc. when I first started but now(maybe 6 months in) I don't crave anything unless I'm walking down a supermarket isle and the smells hit me x_x

whenever I'm hungry but none of the meat I have seems appealing I just eat some raw fat and that does the trick ;)

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 12:23:00 am »

I haven't been eating it often lately anymore.  My cats haven't been in the mood for chicken-muscle meat.  I was getting whatever they like, and sharing it fifty-fifty or whatever works.  I liked raw chicken for a while.  I will try raw wild turkey soon for the first time, I'm expecting that to be good.  I like raw duck.  Slightly or thoroughly cooked poultry may taste better to the palate at times, but the effect is like night and day raw.  Lately if I eat it, I just eat it plain, a fatty cut.

I've reported here in the past being asked about my wonderful "perfume" after a raw chicken meal.  It happened again the other day.  I mean no one ever says I smell bad, but ... Very recently after eating raw chicken (to be fair I likely ovulated that day too) this very muscular guy kind of made a beeline across a crowded room to me.  He explained to me he hates all chemical based distorting scents, and is very attracted to my smell.  I talked with him more.  It's a little strange, he really likes my smell, maybe it's the raw chicken.  Maybe it's just as he says, it's rare to find someone that doesn't distort every smell on and around them with commercial products. 
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline micelte

• Egg Thief
  • Natural Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 06:24:32 am »
Does anyone eat raw rabbit? I could source wild rabbit from a game meat supplier, I buy it whole and uncut, still having all the organs, and I find it delicious!!!

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 09:00:41 am »
I wish I could find a game meat supplier... seems very difficult since it's illegal to sell :/

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 12:07:39 am »
My personal pet idea is that what really gives cravings are lack of familiar tastes. Carbs often come with strong flavours. Perhaps its not carbs as much as its tastes, but since this connection between strong flavour and carbs are clearly there, you get crawings for things with carbs in them. In other words....its all in your mind. Eat meat with a lot of flavour like slightly dehydrated and dried meat (jerky and pemmican) and crawings are far less frequent I find. I just put a rump roast on a plate in the fridge, uncovered, and leave it there for 2-3 days, but preferbly a week. And then I start to cut from it. The taste is much richer and because of it, i dont use any salt and I find spices on it revolting.

Also I double goodsamaritan on being hungry. You dont over eat meat and fat. But its taste and the feeling of satisfaction it gives when you are really hungry are second to nothing. I quite litterally get "all warm and fuzzy" :D

We were able to get some meat that was cured for 28 days and it was definitely superior, but it was corn finished so we stopped going there.

We have been freezing the meat in a large mason jar and then just putting it in the fridge with the cap off as we use it. But your idea of putting it on a plate is even better. Thanks.
Cheers
Al

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 08:57:43 am »
Does anyone eat raw rabbit? I could source wild rabbit from a game meat supplier, I buy it whole and uncut, still having all the organs, and I find it delicious!!!

Yes once, and will probably start doing it more often soon.  I didn't get the organs last time.  I will make sure to next time.  It's one of the best tasting meats too.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk