Author Topic: How to learn about wild foods in your area?  (Read 3633 times)

Offline B.Money

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
How to learn about wild foods in your area?
« on: February 12, 2011, 04:47:44 am »
Is there a website or something one could go to, to learn what is safe in your local area to eats in terms of wild weeds/berries/etc.?

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
Re: How to learn about wild foods in your area?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 04:49:42 am »
I'm interested in this too. I don't even know if edible wild plants exist in north central Texas.
All I want is the truth... Just gimme some truth.
"I wanna be the minority."

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 05:48:58 am »
years ago I used to attend these wild hikes in around NYC with this guy

http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/

its amazing how much stuff you can find even in public parks and so forth. I'm always astonished how many animals you see even in dense urban areas..and they all eat wild foods (or mostly  -d ). Many are not for human consumption I guess. but likey there are a number of weeds and perhaps berries in most places at least in the spring and summer. I never read this guys books but I imagine they are pretty solid.

heres another book (that I have never read)

http://www.danielvitalis.com/tag/wild-foods/

IICR I believe there is actually a site which will list what types of things should be available in your area..but not necessarily how to identify them. Going out with an expert of course would be the safest choice.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 10:52:33 am »
I only go out picking fruit as long as I am  absolutely certain I know what fruits I will be picking, such as wild blackberries.  I have come across some instances of people who thought they had it covered, but then had some sort of misfortune. The most common sort of incident I've heard of involves someone, for example, failing to tell the difference between common field mushrooms and the amanita phalloides, the deathcap mushroom(easy to do),  and then dying in agony some time after.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 11:00:54 am »
I only go out picking fruit as long as I am  absolutely certain I know what fruits I will be picking, such as wild blackberries.  I have come across some instances of people who thought they had it covered, but then had some sort of misfortune. The most common sort of incident I've heard of involves someone, for example, failing to tell the difference between common field mushrooms and the amanita phalloides, the deathcap mushroom(easy to do),  and then dying in agony some time after.
I also have heard stories of pros dying from eating the wrong kind of mushroom, thats okay they aren't meant to be eaten raw anyway. But I have found blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and mulberries all wild. Also wood berries but they suck. Kinda funny I can't find any larger fruits like apricots.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 03:45:37 am by TylerDurden »
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 11:22:18 pm »
Go to your municipal library and talk to the research librarian. If they don't have the information you want they will get it for you.
Naturally, Don

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 11:49:35 pm »
Field Guide to North American Edible Wild Plants - by Thomas Elias and Peter Dykeman

Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants - by Bradford Angier

Mother Earth News magazine, you can get a CD with all their articles for the last 50 years cheap.

Wild Fermentation, by Sandor Katz

Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers, by Stephen Buhner

Stalking The Wild Asparagus - Euel Gibbons
Naturally, Don

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk