Author Topic: easing into paleo? cant survive cold turkey or 100% strict  (Read 7312 times)

Offline ferisong

• Forager
    • View Profile
easing into paleo? cant survive cold turkey or 100% strict
« on: February 12, 2011, 07:52:05 pm »
I’ve been trying for over a year to switch to paleo diet with very little success. I read an article that for a few genetically unfortunate people, certain food addictions can have equivalent power and hold as heroin addictions. As luck would have it, I happen to be one of those people (fastfood everyday for the last 5 MONTHS.)

I’ve tried to change soo many times and I’ve always failed. Right now I’m on a record breaking day 6 and it’s not getting any easier.
I always hear of the “two week breakthrough” where everything apparently gets suddenly better and cravings go away, but I’ve never reached it before. I really don’t think I could maintain the paleo diet long term in 100%, so I wonder

A.does the paleo diet have to be cold turkey? Or could you slowly wean off bad foods in a scheduled manner? Or, is every big mac like hitting the reset button?
B. what’s the miminum paleo you can have to see a positive effect? I’m especially interested in clearing up the skin.

I think the only way I’ll survive is a very slow and easy introduction, and the loosest possible version , at least initially. Theres just no way ill be able to maintain a strict paleo diet.
What are the best options to get started ? 1 day week paleo, then , then 3, so on? A general, unorganized effort to just eat better? Maybe a pre determined 30 minute a day period where I can eat as I like?

Initially, I’m not concerned with the long term health effects, I just need to get over the addictions and cravings. The one immediate concern I have is clearer skin, so what’s the bare minimum I could do to see progress?

Put it to you this way- I first found up about the paleo diet in 2009, and this is the second time ive EVER gone 6 days…. Im eating taco bell everyday, sometimes twice a day.i have a bit of adderal im using to hold off cravings, and it works, but obviously I cant rely on it.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: easing into paleo? cant survive cold turkey or 100% strict
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 08:09:40 pm »
I’ve been trying for over a year to switch to paleo diet with very little success.
No you haven't been really trying.

I read an article that for a few genetically unfortunate people, certain food addictions can have equivalent power and hold as heroin addictions.

Just setting your self up for failure with an attitude like that, filled with weak excuses.

I really don’t think I could maintain the paleo diet long term in 100%, so I wonder

Well then what the hell are you doing here? ;)

Theres just no way ill be able to maintain a strict paleo diet.

Your goddamn right you wont be able to with this attitude. What you want from this forum? Want comfort? Okay.. There there.. it'll be alright. Here, take this magic pill. Now you will be able to eat RPD.

Im eating taco bell everyday, sometimes twice a day.i have a bit of adderal im using to hold off cravings

Taco bell twice a day and brain drugs to hold off cravings? You've come to the most food purist forum on the planet.

No one can do anything for you, except yourself. Come back when you've realized that and as well gained some self respect and the will to change.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 09:19:27 pm by ForTheHunt »
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline ferisong

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 08:20:47 pm »
Forthehunt, I HAVE realized this.
You can say bullshit all you like, but it's a remarkable piece of illogic to completely embrace one unconventional fringe science, and then entirely denounce another.
You of all people should know that mainstream knowledge is most often wrong.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 09:08:26 pm »
There is a newbie section for you to ease into raw.
I approached the diet first from:

raw vegan
raw fruitarian
raw fruits + raw egg yolks + raw fish / sea food (squid, oysters, clams) - 3 whole months
raw fruits + raw egg yolks + raw fish / sea food + seared beef (30 secs, down to 15, down to 5, down to 0 secs)

Then I tried the other land animal meats.

Give yourself time and don't be frustrated.  You will cheat, no problem, you get back up and keep trying.  Because the benefits, the healing if you are sick, is worth it.

Most of us didn't go cold turkey.  Cheer up!  ;D
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 09:58:01 pm »
I think the poster was talking about easing into a cooked-palaeodiet, no mention of RAWpalaeo, just "palaeo".
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline ferisong

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 10:08:12 pm »
Tyler, that's right, at least for now. I do plan on eventually being a 110% raw paleo.
But, the cycle of trying to quit and sliding back only leads to permanent failure. I keep thinking if I had taken the last year to very slowly transition into a pure paleo, I'd be completely finished by now. Instead I had multiple attempts at sudden cold turkeys, none of which succeeded. What I'd like to know are some ways that may make it easier to START paleo by breaking the addictions, and within that time, is there any looser paleo guidelines that could achieve at least a few of the benefits, such as cleaner skin, energy, etc.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 11:07:45 pm »
Start for one week only, do it seriously, 100% raw paleo. It's gonna be easy since it's only a one week experiment. Then if you wish, you'll be able to go on for another week, next for one month, then a 3 months period, then a year if you want. After each period you can choose either to stop or to prolong it it for another limited duration experiment. 

Telling yourself and others that you've found the ultimate diet and you're gonna stick to it for the whole rest of your live if the best way to fail.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline cliff

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 11:28:23 pm »
Whats your current diet like? 

I seriously doubt you just happen to be genetically predisposed to food addiction, you probably just have a problem getting enough calories.  This is especially true if your attempting a mainstream lean meat and vegetable paleo diet.

Offline ferisong

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 11:36:12 pm »
Hi cliff,

Since summer it's been getting worse, until it became really bad- fast food everyday, many days that's ALL I'd have. I must have at least 100 days i nthe past where all I had was multiple taco bell /mcdonalds.
I took a 2 month trip to Vietnam from October 19th to December 19th, where it might have been a little better, but since I came

I'm in day 6 of a somewhat strict paleo diet cold turkey dive. Nothing other than meats, vegetables, fruits, eggs and nuts, but a few too many things like raisins, bananas, sausages, etc. For the most part though I've had plain lean steaks and vegetables (probably 75%).

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 12:23:22 am »
stop thinking "lean" steaks.
You are supposed to get FAT steaks.
That will satisfy you.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline cliff

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 12:32:54 am »
For the most part though I've had plain lean steaks and vegetables (probably 75%).

Anyone would resort to fast food and think they were addicts if they had to rely on lean steaks and vegetables for there main source of calories.  Your body needs calories and it will get them any way necessary which usually entails cravings for extremely calorie dense foods(i.e. taco bell).

Start drenching your steaks and vegetables in butter/tallow/coconut oil etc. Up your fruit consumption(preferably fresh) and maybe add some cooked starches(drench these in butter/tallow/coconut oil as well).  If you can tolerate nuts/fatty fruits eat a couple ounces of those, preferably macadamia nuts or avocado.  The big key imo is to drench all your food in animal fat, if you do this you will most likley get enough calories.  If you continue to have cravings download cronometer and start entering your daily food intakes, aim for 2500-3000+ depending on lifestyle.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 02:07:39 am »
Anyone would resort to fast food and think they were addicts if they had to rely on lean steaks and vegetables for there main source of calories.  Your body needs calories and it will get them any way necessary which usually entails cravings for extremely calorie dense foods(i.e. taco bell).

Start drenching your steaks and vegetables in butter/tallow/coconut oil etc. Up your fruit consumption(preferably fresh) and maybe add some cooked starches(drench these in butter/tallow/coconut oil as well).  If you can tolerate nuts/fatty fruits eat a couple ounces of those, preferably macadamia nuts or avocado.  The big key imo is to drench all your food in animal fat, if you do this you will most likley get enough calories.  If you continue to have cravings download cronometer and start entering your daily food intakes, aim for 2500-3000+ depending on lifestyle.
What he said minus the staches. Just eat eat eat.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 05:49:56 am »
The reason McDonalds is the largest provider of playgrounds in the world is that they know that once a child learns to eat certain foods they are hooked (addicted). It is extremely hard to change. It was an evolutionary advantage to learn what foods were nutritious and which were poisonous. Deviating could mean death.

I have been working on it for about 3 years and still slip. Especially when hungry and grocery shopping. Or hungry passing all the fast food joints on the way home from work.

I started eating lots of raw fruits and veggies that I liked and rare cooked meat. Tried to fill up so I never got hungry. The improvement in health, vigor, and mental ability was great I just kept going.

You will like it.
Naturally, Don

Offline Stig of the Dump

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 09:28:18 pm »
I used to regularly eat in McDonalds years ago.  Once I was sitting there in a McDonalds, fat and lathargic, when a super-healthy, vibrant mate of mine saw me through the window, laughed and pointed, and came in to join me.  He didn't want a Big Mac.  With a twinkle in his eye he said that he liked to come into fast food joints now and then "to watch people eating their depression pills".  -d

For some reason, what he said stuck, and I've never had one since.

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 10:50:24 pm »
With a little planning raw paleo food can be faster than fast food. And mush less expensive.

I love a juicy seared raw beef burger with lettuce & tomato, carrot sticks, and a fruit smoothie. Yum.

We can all have progress but never perfection.
Naturally, Don

Offline Sally S.

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 12:48:25 am »
I know this is sorta an older post....

Anyway, as I said in my intro, I was raised as an ovo/lacto vegetarian in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere...no fast food joints anywhere.  My mother and grandmother stayed at home with us, runing an antique store out of our barn.  We usually ate raw veggies right from the vine when we were out in the garden, gathered millions of pecans from our grove, picked wild dewberries all summer etc.  We ate fresh eggs and had a raw milk source.  I never crave fast foods...never.  At the grocery store I head straight to the produce section and fill up my cart, now I also head to the local butcher shop etc.  I skip all the sections in between...where all the boxes are.  Easy peasy for me.  Now that I'm switching from paleo to raw paleo it doesn't seem to be very hard at all.  Learning "the rules" has been the hardest.  The food part is easy.

My best friend in the whole world, on the other hand was raised in the city on a typical suburban diet, fast foods, white bread sandwiches, pizza, meatloaf and pasta laden casseroles.  As an adult she got  fast food every single day for lunch and made rice a roni for dinner b/c she never learned or cared to learn how to cook.  She was a (young and thin) runner and never had to worry about her figure...until a few years ago, it all caught up with her...poochy tummy, junk in the trunk and even a double chin.  :o She was running 6 miles everyday and doing strength training, nothing helped as far as exercise was concerned.  (Not kidding, every damn day!)  So she turned to me for help with her diet.  At that time, I was a big Weston A. Price follower...12 servings of veggies 1/2 cooked, 1/2 raw; grass fed meats; pastured butter, coconut oil and fermented veggies, kombucha and kefir.  She went cold turkey to the WAP type of diet.  OMG!!!  She had such a difficult time of this, like someone trying to quit a drug.  She got headaches and body/joint aches, sick to her stomach, her face broke out, crabby and irrational.  She missed work too, something she never does.  (Oh, and her fast food cravings were horrible.)

Anyway, the point being after about 2 weeks she started to feel better and she eventually lost most of the weight she had put on.  I'm not saying go cold turkey, I'm just saying yes, it is very hard but you can do it.  She is living proof.  

Now we are both 100% paleo, headed into raw paleo.  (Sorry I don't know the abbreviations for it, but the raw omnivore diet is where we are going to start.)  Both of us are thin and more healthy than we have been in years...thanks to the regular paleo diet.  Going raw or mostly raw sems like the logical "next step".  On the WAP diet, we couldn't shed the last few pounds...too many "properly prepared legumes and grains", and gluten in the form of sourdough, me thinks.

One thing that helped her go straight (non raw) paleo was to make food that tricked her, like taco lettuce wraps, using her own homemade taco seasoning, spaghetti squash spaghetti, protabello bun-ed hamburgers etc.)

Soon you will see and feel the results, in the form of a flatter tummy, cut arms and clear skin. You will have more energy than ever and you will have to 'remember to eat'.  And as soon as you do see/feel these results, you will be so motivated to continue on your journey.

Best of luck to you!!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 03:05:19 pm by TylerDurden »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk