Author Topic: High meat bacteria  (Read 10571 times)

Offline riy freeman

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
High meat bacteria
« on: February 14, 2011, 07:58:35 am »
I've been wondering, making high meat favors the proliferation of AEROBIC (O2) bacteria but yet the human gut would favor harbor ANAEROBIC bacteria... SO how does high meat work... if the purpose is to replenish healthy gut bacteria? As soon as you ingest the high meat, the acidic pH in the stomach would kill off a bunch and then whatever gets through to the gut, the aerobic bacteria would get overtaken by the anaerobic... i confuzed ???

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: High meat bacteria
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 09:24:45 am »
I thought the purpose of making high-meat was that it's easy to digest, and you want aerobic(as opposed to anaerobic) bacteria to be doing the pre-digestion for the very reason that they will struggle to proliferate once ingested.

However when I've seen the Inuit make high meat they have done it in anaerobic environments such as sealing meat tightly inside skins/guts or whatever, and use it as a way of storing meat with highness being an interesting side-effect.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 09:30:22 am by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 10:17:27 am »
Its not just the live bacteria that give it its properties, it is also that byproducts of the bacteria. Bacteria produce chemical weapons, enzymes as well as vitamins. The primordial soup of decayed flesh infuses the aerobic cultured substances that are beneficial to an anaerobic gut.
High meat  inoculates the digestive system with substances that aid in meat digestion.

The exact mechanisms are still up for discussion, but the benefits of using high meat have already been confirmed (in my book).
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 11:35:59 am »
Its not just the live bacteria that give it its properties, it is also that byproducts of the bacteria. Bacteria produce chemical weapons, enzymes as well as vitamins. The primordial soup of decayed flesh infuses the aerobic cultured substances that are beneficial to an anaerobic gut.
High meat  inoculates the digestive system with substances that aid in meat digestion.

The exact mechanisms are still up for discussion, but the benefits of using high meat have already been confirmed (in my book).
When will your book be available?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 11:43:24 am »
I'm not an expert on this, but one thing to consider, is that the aerobic vs anaerobic issue is not so black-and-white. There is a whole spectrum of oxygen tolerance and requirements in bacteria. So possibly high meat contains some bacteria which can live in our intestines?

It will probably depend a lot on how you air your high meat. If you just open the jar, let it sit for a while, and then close it, then on the surface, obligate aerobes will proliferate. But deep down, you might get bacteria that can live in our intestines.

But if you thoroughly mix the meat every time you air it, then you might end up culturing mostly obligate aerobes.

Take a look at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerobic_organism
(In particular, the diagram with the 5 test tubes).

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 11:46:28 am »
When will your book be available?

I get the impression that sabertooth's statement "...in my book" was meant metaphorically, i.e. ("...from my point of view")

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 12:29:39 pm »
I get the impression that sabertooth's statement "...in my book" was meant metaphorically, i.e. ("...from my point of view")
I thought he mentioned writing a book at some point.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 12:58:39 pm »
The reason why it's dangerous to make high-meat in the anaerobic conditions is that there is high probability that botulinum toxins will be generated. There have been quite many reports that modern Innuits in Alaska have suffered because of the inappropriate storing of meat or fish.
Traditional healthy and wise Innuits have always made it in aerobic environment.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 01:14:13 pm »
Hannibal on the Arctic episode of 'human planet' some Inuit caught small birds with nets and stuffed hundreds of them into some sort of skin/stomach or something to store for winter. They squashed out all the air they could from it and left it for months buried under rocks. Also I heard they bury meat under-ground too.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 01:50:04 pm »
If the meat is freezed then it doesn't really matter whether it's kept in aerobic or anaerobic conditions.
Besides AFAIK skin is air-permeable
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 11:32:56 pm »
I am going to make a shift away from Jar made high meat and try to open air age most of my meats. I have been using jar high meat and I notice that many of the batches just turn out foul tasting and seem to be overrun with white molds , while my open air aged meats turn out wonderfully grey with a layer of tasty slime.

Quote from: kurite

link=topic=4666.msg63119#msg63119 date=1297657779
I thought he mentioned writing a book at some point.

I am a bit of a Don Quixote dreamer and often am caught up in the work of dreaming the Impossible dream. I do have a story to tell and I do have aspirations of writting it down, but as for what form the end product will take, I am still a little wishy washy.

I want to at least start framing a basic raw paleo dietary pamphlet, that could break down the  guidelines as well as explain the different approaches to the diet by giving each a fair report. I want to incorporate the more believable theory's of the forrunners like AV and GBC while including some of my own personal addendum's. I am also considering trying to get people interested in a more paleo way of life. I think the great benefits of the diet can be better achieved if one gets more in tune with a way of life that more resembles our tribal ancestors. So many people who find this diet are not only completely toxic from poor food choices, but they are also damaged spiritually and emotionally from the type of rat race lifestiles that usually accompany such poor diets. I really want to motivate people to adopt a more human way of life that will allow for the maximum enjoyment of all that life has to offer. I want to preach the benefits of Fresh air, sunshine, the thrill of the hunt, chasing tail, clean living, raw wholesome foods,etc. Perhaps such words could inspire people to raise families who live in that spirit and spread the message.

I practice what I preach and have my children help feed the back yard animals, My wife loves her chickens and my son likes playing games with the our Shetland sheep dog, and he keeps asking me if we will have a goat farm, he still remembers the two goats that we used to milk. They eventually dried up and my wife helped hold them down while I slit their throats. I let the kids watch me butcher the animals and they think its the most natural thing in the world.

I have lived through the nightmare of a profound dietary ignorance that is so encompassing and pervasive that its consequences will never be fully understood by the masses . I am a witness to the crimes against humanity committed in the name of economy; my whole generation has been pumped full of soy, wheat ,corn, and other processed garbage; all in the name of preserving some big Agra economic model.

My main dilemma as a scholar and witness to the total ignorance that is destroying the health of the people, is how far should I go in explaining the terrible atrocities I have personally witnessed. I have so much to say that it may seem incredible or somehow distract from the primary message, which is that no matter how bad your health has become, you should be able find improvements by adopting a raw paleo lifestyle.

It may take some time to form a clearer vision, and there is the fact that I am still only a paleo yearling  and have barely been able to step back and take in all the changes that my body and mind are undergoing. For example I have just recently began to love the taste of high meat, and I am still working out ways to make it consistently good. Just like the great wine masters and cheese makers had to work as an apprentice , it may take years for someone to master the paleo crafts.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 11:59:49 pm »
My calf leg has turned out so well I wish to share it with you all

I have never had any jar made high meat that taste as good as this. Perhaps there is a mix of both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria as well as mold that can live in highmeat jars while open air highmeat has an almost totally aerobic bacteria makeup. You still get benefits from having mixed cultures, but the theory is that aerobic cultures are more responsible for the health benefits than are the molds and anaerobic strains.

It seems that it could be both the mold and anaerobic bacteria that could be responsible for fouling up some of my past high meat batches. But I am thinking about just rotting whole pieces of animal in a meat locker if I can get something set up by spring time. There doesn't seem to be any mold on my calf and I have started some calf ribs and deer meat out in the shed and so far its looking good, I just hope I can keep it from the bugs or that it doesn't go moldy once the temperatures increase.

I have also noticed that it has frozen and thawed a few times but that it doesn't seem to effect the quality or the taste. we have had a few cold nights but it usually gets above freezing in the day time.

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 11:22:36 am »
I dont do high meat, but I will let my meat sit in my kitchen on the counter for over a week with open air.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"There is a lot of pressure to be sexualized but not to actually be sexual."
- women's health member

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 02:25:38 pm »
Sabertooth, great experience! Nothing is written on a stone and we all should be little more adventurous. I think different type of rotten proteins carry different type of benefits. With air, without air... these won't kill us. If we eat like vultures, we will survive well
bugs or country chickens

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk