Author Topic: Hi RPDers Alex here  (Read 6514 times)

Offline Alex

• Forager
    • View Profile
Hi RPDers Alex here
« on: February 14, 2011, 01:29:59 pm »
Hello everyone my name is Alex and I am/have been experimenting with many various diets through the past few years searching for something that I can settle on. I am currently avoiding (or rather trying to avoid) all grains, dairy and legumes. I eat a cooked fish heavy diet with lots of fruits and vegetables. I occasionally eat red meat and organ meats.

I have heard of eating raw meat in the past but couldn't find anything comprehensive enough to try it. I have this belief that the meat (land or sea) has to be extremely fresh to be eaten raw or it will cause severe digestion problems (lots of pain). I have had an experience along these lines a few years ago where I dried raw fish and tried to eat it. I was keeled over once it started digestion and I spend the day in the fetal position drinking lemon juice until I got it out of me. I enjoy eating sashimi and dishes like steak tartar but that experience has made me hesitant on pursuing a raw meat diet.

My main question at the moment is how old/fresh does meat/fish have to be in order to eat it raw? Is it pretty much like if I could cook it and eat it can I eat it raw instead? When buying meat is there something I have to check for (colour, smell) or can I just go to the market get a cut of meat and simply eat it as is? What about frozen meat can I thaw it and eat it? And what happens when meat that has gone bad is ingested? I understand that there I a degree of risk in pursuing such a diet and place myself as responsible for what I eat.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Hi RPDers Alex here
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 02:14:51 pm »
Welcome! First I understand why you would have digestion issues with dried raw fish. Its definately harder to digest than raw. Especially because you may have a compromised digestive tract.

I personally eat all of my raw meat either fresh or frozen (and thawed from frozen of course). But I would make sure to get grass fed beef. Grass fed organic is best but its really important that the beef you eat is at least grass fed.

The older meat gets so long as it doesnt get dry, the easier it is to digest. Here on the forums we refer to high meat as aged meat that has been kept in a sealed jar for several months. However it must be opened to get in some fresh air every 3-5 days. It is super easy to digest and has tons of health benefits.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 07:15:12 pm »
Your notion that aged, raw meats digest less well than cooked meats or fresh, raw meats is completely wrong. Aged, raw meats have a higher bacteria-count(the bacteria predigests the aged raw meats) so that they digest far better than cooked meats - indeed, during weeks in which I have eaten nothing but "high-meat"(=aged raw meats), I have found that the "high-meat" is almost completely absorbed with very little in the way of stools, while with cooked meats I find that my stools are much bigger than after eating fresh, raw meats.

That said, some people might have issues with aged, raw meats if a) the relevant meats came from an unhealthy animal(such as grainfed cattle) or from over-polluted waters(much less likely). Also, a few people already have such f*cked up digestive systems after years of eating unhealthy SAD diet foods, that they might get a reaction to even aged, raw foods, even if the latter is perfectly healthy. RVAF diet newbies are usually advised to start with fresh, raw meats and then try aged, raw meats c. 1 year later, to avoid any possible issues. Whatever the case, RVAFers mostly only find they get mild cases of food-poisoning, and even those sort of episodes are very rare indeed - by contrast, RVAFers routinely have reported getting far worse, more frequent food-poisoning issues from previous cooked food diets, episodes which lasted longer and were more severe than on rawpalaeo.

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 10:23:29 am »
Hello everyone my name is Alex and I am/have been experimenting with many various diets through the past few years searching for something that I can settle on. I am currently avoiding (or rather trying to avoid) all grains, dairy and legumes. I eat a cooked fish heavy diet with lots of fruits and vegetables. I occasionally eat red meat and organ meats.

I have heard of eating raw meat in the past but couldn't find anything comprehensive enough to try it. I have this belief that the meat (land or sea) has to be extremely fresh to be eaten raw or it will cause severe digestion problems (lots of pain). I have had an experience along these lines a few years ago where I dried raw fish and tried to eat it. I was keeled over once it started digestion and I spend the day in the fetal position drinking lemon juice until I got it out of me. I enjoy eating sashimi and dishes like steak tartar but that experience has made me hesitant on pursuing a raw meat diet.

My main question at the moment is how old/fresh does meat/fish have to be in order to eat it raw? Is it pretty much like if I could cook it and eat it can I eat it raw instead? When buying meat is there something I have to check for (colour, smell) or can I just go to the market get a cut of meat and simply eat it as is? What about frozen meat can I thaw it and eat it? And what happens when meat that has gone bad is ingested? I understand that there I a degree of risk in pursuing such a diet and place myself as responsible for what I eat.

Welcome! We're both new!

Here's a short tale about my experience looking for fresh meat.  I live in Detroit and there is a farmers market here, the largest in Michigan.  Thousands of people pass through the market every Saturday and there are many butcher houses all over the market.  One Saturday I arrived at the market early and went to the various butchers, asking if they had any grass fed beef (or other grass fed meat).  Every butcher told me that grass fed meat was a specialty item and you could not find such meat around.  They were right!  I asked them how fresh their meat was, and the response I got was that the meat was usually about a MONTH old.  A MONTH.

Now this was the first time I tried switching from SAD to cooked paleo, and it didn't last 2 days.  I was fortunate enough to eventually discover eatwild.com and find some local farmers raising grass fed meats.  I had to drive 2 hours (one way) just to pick it up.  But it was worth every minute and every cent.  My meat was slaughtered, hung for a few days, then promptly butchered and vacuum sealed, and never frozen.  I threw it in my freezer but it is a lot of meat and I am new to this, I may just refridgerate it next time instead of freezing it, which was probably overkill.

I think that if you would NOT want to eat it cooked, you should avoid eating it raw.  You can't improve an already poor product (factory-raised and grain-fed old meat) by not cooking it, at least not by much. 

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 10:29:31 am »
For what my experience is worth -

Aged meat was the first thing that got my digestion back on track.  Now I can eat fresh meat freely without problems.  I still cannot eat cooked meat nor dried meat (and I dry it myself so I know it's very low 'raw' temp).  And I can't wait to try high meat because I think that can only be even better for me, but I wimp out on day 2 every time.

Offline Alex

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 12:42:08 pm »
I've started messing around with eating some undercooked eggs and meat today. Waiting to see if I get sick although I doubt I will. Felt my digestive system fire up shortly after eating the meat, something different like it was coming back to life. I also purchased some free-range flax fed eggs and some in-shell oysters I am going to try raw. Possibly going to try a bit of raw calf liver too because I read that organ meat is a good place to start, although I'm not yet sure on this one. Dried raw meat dehydrated at 115 deg F hasn't been a problem for me as I eat this fairly regularly.

I had a question about goat. A local asian market offers frozen goat legs and shoulders, I'm not sure where they are from but does anyone know if goats or lambs are generally raised on a more proper diet than the cows or is it messed up across the board?

Thanks

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 01:14:42 pm »

I eat my raw fish same day or next day fresh from the wet market.

I eat my raw beef or horse up to 2 weeks from from the wet market killed the same day.

I've also tried freezing immediately then thawing as needed if wet market is not available, it will work too.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 08:48:29 pm »
Outside the US, sheep are more likely to be fed on grass than cattle. Not sure, but I suspect that it's the same with goats, as the only goat-farmers I've come across were usually impoverished and living off the land with their goats just feeding on grass.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline fwadmin

• Administrator
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 08:54:33 pm »
In the Philippines, non-corporate herders feed grass to their goats and sheep. 
Reason: grass is FREE.

Offline Alex

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 05:36:58 am »
Cool guys thanks for the tips.

Just finished a good climbing session after fasting for the day and I decided to try out some raw eggs and oysters. I found the eggs to taste like nothing, went down like water. The oysters were very salty and had crunchy parts to them. Might try out some raw goat in the days to come, it did come frozen though.

Does anybody eat raw meat that comes from the grocery stores? Just wondering as I'm kind of short on cash, so I figured since I've already been eating it cooked if eating it raw would make that much of a difference.

Also should I start storing meat/fish in the fridge exposed to the air rather than in containers?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 06:32:33 am »
Aerated, not put in boxes - there is an unsubstantiated claim that botulism toxin might appear in unarated raw meats.

Avoid grocery stores like the plague. Their raw meats are usually grainfed so very unhealthy, plus their meats often end up costing more. Plus, the smaller farmers/producers are more honest re increased quality/variety etc.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RomanK

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 08:38:39 am »
I do use supermarket meat keeping it in the fridge open and turn over every day
for aeration.
 During the summer I went to the farm and bought grass-fed but
they do not have meat during the winter and their own meat (frozen) in the health shop
costs way more.
 Look around your place maybe U can find farm with grass-fed not far from your place.
Also there is wild fish (like wild salmon or macrel0 and some times I buy NZ lamb hopping it is
grass-fed.
All the best.

Offline presynaras

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 02:47:37 pm »
Hi, I am new here as well...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk