Author Topic: Max's Journal  (Read 45770 times)

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Max's Journal
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 04:54:41 am »
Today will be an all raw day!  Yay!

I think I will add an omega-3 supplement for a while, and see how I do with it.

Ate some raw grassfed hamburger a little bit ago, I will probably have some more in a few minutes.  Then at work I will have 2 apples, 2 oranges, and 11oz of coconut water.  I will also take some raw grassfed hamburger to work and eat it discreetly, probably at a different location than my co-workers are.

I am still doing scapula, rotator cuff, and neck exercises.  They help ease the pain a little.  I've got a chiro appointment on Monday.  I think the more raw I eat, the less inflammation I have, the less pain I have.  It is a large incentive to stay raw. 
"The strong white teeth sank into the raw and dripping flesh in apparent relish of the meal, but Clayton could not bring himself to share the uncooked meat with his strange host; instead he watched him, and presently there dawned upon him the conviction that this was Tarzan of the Apes....." - Edgar Rice Burroughs, 'Tarzan of the Apes'

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 09:30:32 am »
Today will be an all raw day!  Yay!

I think I will add an omega-3 supplement for a while, and see how I do with it.

Ate some raw grassfed hamburger a little bit ago, I will probably have some more in a few minutes.  Then at work I will have 2 apples, 2 oranges, and 11oz of coconut water.  I will also take some raw grassfed hamburger to work and eat it discreetly, probably at a different location than my co-workers are.

I am still doing scapula, rotator cuff, and neck exercises.  They help ease the pain a little.  I've got a chiro appointment on Monday.  I think the more raw I eat, the less inflammation I have, the less pain I have.  It is a large incentive to stay raw. 

Glad to hear you are having some success!  With regards to the inflammation, it makes sense as omega-3 fatty acids are anti-inflammatory. 

Now can anyone here explain why grass fed bison is listed as mildly inflammatory:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/lamb-veal-and-game-products/10628/2

Shouldn't it be anti-inflammatory or is the IF rating a bunch of nonsense?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 09:50:56 am »
    Isn't that a -(negative)1(one) there?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 09:56:14 am »
   Isn't that a -(negative)1(one) there?

It is only slightly negative, but if you enter in 2200 calories worth, for instance, it adds up to like -208, moderately inflammatory. 

Now I use raw bison because I am guessing that raw lamb is more like raw bison than it is like grain-fed lamb.  In any case, I was surprised and thought the IF system must be a bunch of BS, or else I just don't understand it.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2011, 02:08:39 am »
Well I can't think of why grassfed bison would be inflammatory.  I wouldn't worry about it.

Good news.  I have been entirely raw for 4 days no cheats.  Usually around 1-1.5lbs of raw grassfed hamburger each day, along with 100 grams of carbs from fruits like, apples, pears, cantaloupe.

Also, whatever I did to aggravate my injury has now subsided, and the pain is back to the baseline amount that I am usually in.

Also I ate raw meat in front of someone on Wednesday.  I went to my Moms house for the afternoon.  She was going to cook me some lunch (I almost let her).  But I decided I didn't want to break my diet, when it has been going so well.  She already knew about Paleo, because I had been doing it for a while.  So I told her about raw paleo, how people have had success with healing various ailments.  I told her about the positives of the diet, and I told her about some individual success stories.  My mom is a pretty open and freethinking person and she has no problem with me trying this way of eating.  So I ate some raw grassfed hamburger while she ate her lunch.
"The strong white teeth sank into the raw and dripping flesh in apparent relish of the meal, but Clayton could not bring himself to share the uncooked meat with his strange host; instead he watched him, and presently there dawned upon him the conviction that this was Tarzan of the Apes....." - Edgar Rice Burroughs, 'Tarzan of the Apes'

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2011, 02:55:18 am »
Well I can't think of why grassfed bison would be inflammatory.  I wouldn't worry about it.

Good news.  I have been entirely raw for 4 days no cheats.  Usually around 1-1.5lbs of raw grassfed hamburger each day, along with 100 grams of carbs from fruits like, apples, pears, cantaloupe.

Also, whatever I did to aggravate my injury has now subsided, and the pain is back to the baseline amount that I am usually in.

Also I ate raw meat in front of someone on Wednesday.  I went to my Moms house for the afternoon.  She was going to cook me some lunch (I almost let her).  But I decided I didn't want to break my diet, when it has been going so well.  She already knew about Paleo, because I had been doing it for a while.  So I told her about raw paleo, how people have had success with healing various ailments.  I told her about the positives of the diet, and I told her about some individual success stories.  My mom is a pretty open and freethinking person and she has no problem with me trying this way of eating.  So I ate some raw grassfed hamburger while she ate her lunch.

That's amazing, your mom is awesome.  My parents freaked out a week ago when I ate raw meat in front of them.  I had to carry my steak with me until dinner just so they wouldn't cook it.  They aren't happy with me eating raw meat, but I am compiling a notebook of information about eating raw meat and other raw foods that I will give them to read.

I'm glad the diet is working for you.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2011, 06:32:56 am »
Thanks Magnetic,

It sucks that you don't have more supportive parents.  I knew my mom would be ok with my new WOE, but I had her swear not to tell anyone.  I don't think my stepdad or real dad would be supportive at all.  So my plan is to keep the diet a secret from them until I am a paragon of health.  When I have the results I want, to prove this WOE works, I will no longer keep it a secret (though I won't openly advertise it either).

Some things that I would like as a result of this diet.

1.  Chronic Pain in mid-back/scapula region disappear.
2.  Achilles tendon problem on left ankle healed and wrist pain in left wrist healed.  (These pains come and go, depending on how much I use my ankle or wrist.)
3.  No more acne.
4.  No more constipation.
5.  Develop a strong jaw and slightly bigger head (don't know if the head thing is possible).
6.  Lose fat, gain muscle.
7.  Improve circulation (my feet are always freezing).
8.  Lighten my blue eyes.

Question for those who have gotten stronger jaws, or those who have healed themselves of an ailment.  Did you notice more of a change when on ZC or when on regular raw paleo?

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2011, 10:11:12 am »
Thanks Magnetic,

It sucks that you don't have more supportive parents.  I knew my mom would be ok with my new WOE, but I had her swear not to tell anyone.  I don't think my stepdad or real dad would be supportive at all.  So my plan is to keep the diet a secret from them until I am a paragon of health.  When I have the results I want, to prove this WOE works, I will no longer keep it a secret (though I won't openly advertise it either).

I am not one to tell others what to do, and I won't do that here.  Sometimes you have to do what you find comfortable.  However, I have to say that keeping our diets (whatever it may be) secret isn't much of an endorsement of said diet.  I know that some members might want to achieve health first, and that is all fine, but if we are not confident and outspoken about how we eat, I don't see how eating raw meat will ever rise beyond being perceived by most members of society as a strange fad diet.  Please do not take this as a criticism, it is strictly my view of the failings and trappings I see some falling into with either being secretive or apologetic about their diet, instead of confident and informed and assertive.

Some things that I would like as a result of this diet.

1.  Chronic Pain in mid-back/scapula region disappear.
2.  Achilles tendon problem on left ankle healed and wrist pain in left wrist healed.  (These pains come and go, depending on how much I use my ankle or wrist.)
3.  No more acne.
4.  No more constipation.
5.  Develop a strong jaw and slightly bigger head (don't know if the head thing is possible).
6.  Lose fat, gain muscle.
7.  Improve circulation (my feet are always freezing).
8.  Lighten my blue eyes.

Don't worry, I am sure you will achieve all of these in time!

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2011, 01:01:48 am »
Until, I reach some of my goals for the diet, there is no use in me openly advertising its effects (If I don't have myself and my own body to back up my claims).  After I heal myself of some of the ailments I listed, I won't care what people think of my WOE, especially if I have proven It works for me.  That being said I don't think I ever want to 'flaunt' this diet.  I will simply eat the way I eat, and if some have questions about eating raw paleo, I will do my best to answer those questions.

Don't worry, I am sure you will achieve all of these in time!

Thank you Magnetic, I do hope I can achieve my goals in heath.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2011, 03:09:57 am »
So until yesterday I had been force-feeding myself the raw meats.  I would thaw a certain amount out, then force myself to eat it, thinking it is what my body needs.  Starting yesterday I ate only when hungry, and only continued eating until satisfied, not stuffed.  I feel much better listening to my body telling me when to eat.  It was pretty stupid to think I need X amount of food then force myself to eat so much.  Oh well, Live and learn.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2011, 07:54:27 am »
So until yesterday I had been force-feeding myself the raw meats.  I would thaw a certain amount out, then force myself to eat it, thinking it is what my body needs.  Starting yesterday I ate only when hungry, and only continued eating until satisfied, not stuffed.  I feel much better listening to my body telling me when to eat.  It was pretty stupid to think I need X amount of food then force myself to eat so much.  Oh well, Live and learn.

I am still having trouble with this.  The problem (it is strange to call it a problem) is that raw animal foods are so satisfying and filling.  The whole 3 meals a day thing is a paradigm based on a totally different way of eating.  Sometimes I have to wait an entire day to get hungry.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2011, 03:33:05 am »
I am still having trouble with this.  The problem (it is strange to call it a problem) is that raw animal foods are so satisfying and filling.  The whole 3 meals a day thing is a paradigm based on a totally different way of eating.  Sometimes I have to wait an entire day to get hungry.

I don't know what to say, I am pretty new at this.  I would recommend that you listen to your body but that you don't starve yourself.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2011, 04:11:47 am »

lol, i know it sounds so obvious but i still remind myself that listening to my body has ALWAYS guided me right.  and the converse, that eating just to eat or increasing fat just to meet some percentage i read about has ALWAYS messed me up. 

helps me to workout too.. that keeps my hunger at some regularity, which is important to me because when i skip a day of eating (like a travel day or something) my body gets a little 'off'.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2011, 03:15:14 am »
Hey Ioanna

Yes I have noticed exercise is helping me as well.  (I can't do too much because I have a messed up shoulder and back.)  I go for a long walk every day I can.  I try and get as much sun as I can while I am outside.  (In Wisconsin now so, my face is the only part of me that is getting sunlight.)  I also do some joint mobility exercises and bodyweight squats.  I think exercising helps keep my testosterone up, and I can use as much of that as I can get.

Side note:  Cheated from rpd yesterday and today.  I ate some popcorn at work, and some coconut cookies.  This has further added to my resolve to keep to the RPD as much as I can, as I experienced some negative symptoms (inflammation and gas).

Additional note:  Went to my chiropractor today.  (In general I've been feeling better on RPD, and my injury doesn't hurt as much as it usually does.)  He said the knots that are usually in my upper back are mostly gone and my neck alignment looks a lot better.   :)

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2011, 03:00:32 am »
Hey All,

I cheated Wednesday night at work, we had a pizza party and I ate some pizza (a lot of pizza and I had some cookies and a brownie).  Today I am back on all raw RPD.  My raw grass-fed hamburger is bland by comparison to the food I ate last night, but I know it is better for me. 

I feel like I have been raw enough to see some improvements.  Less pain and inflammation from my injury.  Clearer skin, I think that might have to do with trying to get more sun.  Also a loss of some body fat around my middle, while my arms are beginning to look more toned (this also might be from my increased activity level, or a combination or RPD and exercise)

I will keep plugging away.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2011, 01:05:46 am »
Hello All,

I was calculating the number of calories I eat raw in one day.  And it is dreadfully low (1200-1400cal).  But I feel plenty full.  Should I eat more (like around 1800-2000cal), I can make myself eat more if I want.  Or should I listen to what my body is saying???

I went to my dad’s house for the weekend, and I at a crap-ton of food (SAD).  Once I started eating I couldn't stop.  I think my body was very food deprived (quantity) eating all raw.  I figure if I make myself eat more raw, I wont crave SAD foods and I won't break the Raw Paleo way of eating as much.  But on the other hand, when I eat raw, I am less hungry overall (I don't know if this is because I haven't adjusted completely to raw yet or what?)  Suggestions?

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2011, 07:05:23 pm »
Hello All,

I was calculating the number of calories I eat raw in one day.  And it is dreadfully low (1200-1400cal).  But I feel plenty full.  Should I eat more (like around 1800-2000cal), I can make myself eat more if I want.  Or should I listen to what my body is saying???

I went to my dad’s house for the weekend, and I at a crap-ton of food (SAD).  Once I started eating I couldn't stop.  I think my body was very food deprived (quantity) eating all raw.  I figure if I make myself eat more raw, I wont crave SAD foods and I won't break the Raw Paleo way of eating as much.  But on the other hand, when I eat raw, I am less hungry overall (I don't know if this is because I haven't adjusted completely to raw yet or what?)  Suggestions?

I am experiencing something similar.  I just forced myself to eat more, as my weight dropped to 117lbs. (I am 5' 9").  That was a little to low for me to feel comfortable.  I have energy though.  I think my body is not sending me the right signals re hunger.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2011, 12:58:43 am »
Yes, I think I am going to try and eat more.  But today I am going to eat less.  In fact I plan on eating nothing.  I have been feeling bloated lately and my stomach has been upset.  I think this is because I have been switching back and fourth between SAD foods and Raw foods.  So today I fast.  I haven't not eaten anything for a whole day, ever.  I think the fast will be good for me.  Then tomorrow, I will have just meat, and see if anything upsets my stomach.  Then the day after I will have meat and fruit (but not too much fruit) and see if my stomach is still better.  Then the day after that I will have meat, fruit, and eggs, and see how I feel. 

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2011, 03:25:28 am »
Hello All,

My injury has been acting up the last couple days.  I've been solid on Raw for nearly a week no cheats.  The only thing I am doing differently is I started eating egg whites.  So I am going to cut those out, when I finish my yolks.  I have about 4 dozen eggs left, then I will be done with eggs for a while.   Also I want to go VLC starting in April.  I will keep you all updated on my progress.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2011, 04:14:25 am »
Just finished a whole week completely raw paleo, no cheats!!!

Feeling good!

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2011, 06:36:25 am »
Awesome!

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2011, 11:57:18 pm »
I cheated big time for a few days.  My friend came into town from Japan.  We hung out, we drank (alcohol), we ate (SAD).  After those few days I felt terrible.  I am now back on Raw paleo.  I think I wasn't getting enough calories.  I think my body was food deprived because I wasn't eating enough raw.  So my cravings were crazy once I broke my Raw WOE.  Now I plan I trying to eat more raw everyday, and to keep more raw food available in the house.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2011, 03:58:37 am »
It has been a while since I posted.  The las two weeks I was probably only 60% raw by calories.  The last few days I've been good (all raw).  But for whatever reason I have hardly any energy. 

I have a question for anyone who knows the answer.  Are marrow bones supposed to have a dry kind of marrow in them, that is hard to get out.  OR a wet (soft marrow) that comes out really easily?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2011, 06:24:49 am »
It has been a while since I posted.  The las two weeks I was probably only 60% raw by calories.  The last few days I've been good (all raw).  But for whatever reason I have hardly any energy. 

I have a question for anyone who knows the answer.  Are marrow bones supposed to have a dry kind of marrow in them, that is hard to get out.  OR a wet (soft marrow) that comes out really easily?
Both. Depends on the type of bone, lower leg or upper leg.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2011, 02:17:15 am »
Hey all,

It has been a while again since I posted.  I am still trying to figure out what works best for me (how much meat and fat and fruits each day).  Also I have cheated a lot lately and that is something I am trying really hard to get away from.  What's happened is I go off this way of eating for a day or something, when I go see family or friends, then it becomes hard for me to get back to all raw eating.  It usually takes a couple days of eating raw and cooked before I am all raw again.

I think part of this had to do with me not getting enough raw food when I ate raw.  One pound of raw grassfed hamburger plus some egg yolks plus some fruit is not enough to sustain me for a day.  So when I went off my Raw WOE, my body desperately craved calories and I would stuff myself with junk SAD food.

My new experiment is to try and eat around 2 pounds of meat/fat/organs ever day, with one piece of fruit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk