Author Topic: Max's Journal  (Read 45756 times)

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Max's Journal
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2011, 03:17:38 am »
I forgot to mention that I ate my first Raw beef heart last week.  It wasn't bad, but I didn't like the taste as much as my muscle meats, I am sure my taste buds will adjust in time.

I also ate a tongue last week and I liked that a bit better than heart, but not as much as my muscle meats.

This week I've been eating around 2lbs of meat per day, plus one fruit, plus 4-8 egg yolks.  Today I am eating 1 pound of hamburger, 1 pound of heart, 1 apple, 2 marrow bones, and 4 egg yolks.

Thank god for the sun.  It is finally shinning and warm in Wisconsin.  Tomorrow's forecast, rain.
"The strong white teeth sank into the raw and dripping flesh in apparent relish of the meal, but Clayton could not bring himself to share the uncooked meat with his strange host; instead he watched him, and presently there dawned upon him the conviction that this was Tarzan of the Apes....." - Edgar Rice Burroughs, 'Tarzan of the Apes'

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2011, 03:02:09 am »
I had some heart meat yesterday.  It tasted fine.  Did I adapt that fast?

The first heart I had was from Slankers.  I thawed it out, and I didn't like it too much.  The second heart I had was from a side of beef that I got a while ago.  That heart tasted fine, I liked it much better.  Both hearts were grassfed and they looked comparable.  Any thoughts?

Also (on an unrelated matter) I slipped in a muddy part of a trail while hiking.  I twisted my knee while falling down and it is pretty sore (the left side of my left knee).  My plan is rest my knee for 3-7 days, walking minimally, besides at work.  Also to stick to my raw diet completely, to reduce inflammation and promote healing.  Hopefully it is better within the week and I can get back to my normal routine.
"The strong white teeth sank into the raw and dripping flesh in apparent relish of the meal, but Clayton could not bring himself to share the uncooked meat with his strange host; instead he watched him, and presently there dawned upon him the conviction that this was Tarzan of the Apes....." - Edgar Rice Burroughs, 'Tarzan of the Apes'

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2011, 04:25:23 am »
Just got a really upset stomach about a half hour after eating a 1/2 pound of heart.

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2011, 11:13:01 am »
In my experience heart seems to be more difficult to digest than muscle meat. I enjoy it occasionally, but I much prefer kidneys. It has a higher vitamin content than heart, it is easier to digest, and it tastes good (to me at least :D).
All I want is the truth... Just gimme some truth.
"I wanna be the minority."

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2011, 01:13:43 am »
I had some heart meat yesterday.  It tasted fine.  Did I adapt that fast?

The first heart I had was from Slankers.  I thawed it out, and I didn't like it too much.  The second heart I had was from a side of beef that I got a while ago.  That heart tasted fine, I liked it much better.  Both hearts were grassfed and they looked comparable.  Any thoughts?
I noted the same with meat from Slankers and my local supplier. Just buy what you enjoy. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2011, 03:10:50 am »
Yeah,

I haven't tried kidneys yet because I heard heart was the easiest organ to adapt to (Taste Wise).  I have some (from Slankers) and will try them sometime within the next few weeks.

I am going to try and get more organs next time I get a side of beef from my local supplier.  Last time I only got heart and liver.  Because that is what they offered and I didn't ask for the other organs.  Next time I will ask for heart, liver, tongue and kidneys.  I will also ask if I can get the organs from the other cows they butchered.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2011, 02:28:26 pm »
OH MY SUNBURN!!!

I can't believe I was stupid enough to stay out in the sun that long.  

Oh well, live and learn and rub raw bone marrow on the burn.  Dude that rhymes!!!

My first raw paleo poem.

Oh well,
Live and learn
Rub raw marrow on the burn,

Help it might
Heal it will
Pain enough, I've had my fill.

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2011, 05:35:16 am »
There is a supplement called astaxanthin (derived from algae/often found in fish) which acts a good internal sunscreen. I have experienced this effect for myself. It took longer for my skin to burn or peel, even at doses like 1mg. However, I probably don't go out as much as you do, so people who really get out in the sun should take like 4-8mg. Just a suggestion.
All I want is the truth... Just gimme some truth.
"I wanna be the minority."

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2011, 03:00:10 pm »
There is a supplement called astaxanthin (derived from algae/often found in fish) which acts a good internal sunscreen. I have experienced this effect for myself. It took longer for my skin to burn or peel, even at doses like 1mg. However, I probably don't go out as much as you do, so people who really get out in the sun should take like 4-8mg. Just a suggestion.

Thank you for the suggestion.  But I am trying to avoid supplementation right now.

My burn has fully recovered and I think I will be more moderate with my sun exposure.  I hope to be very tan buy the end of the summer, but I don't want to burn again.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2011, 02:04:19 pm »
Ok, for the rest of May and all of June my diet will consist of this.  As much fruit as I desire each day, thought I will try to stay around 100 grams of carbs.  As much Raw Honey as I desire each day.  As many whole raw eggs as I desire each day.   At least one pound of raw meat a day, more if I want it.  And I will try and get some seafood once a week at least.  Plus organs and raw marrow whenever it pleases me.  In short, I am going to try and stay exclusively raw.  If I give into sugar or carb cravings it will be raw food (honey, fruit).  If I have cravings for fat I will eat raw fat, or marrow or eggs.

Side note: used to eat only egg yolks, but I like the taste better if I eat whole raw eggs.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2011, 02:54:06 pm »
Tomorrow, or today depending how you look at it, I am going to travel far and wide (about 50 miles) to a mythical land known as Lacrosse WI.  In this city I plan on buying a number of items that can be found no where in my home kingdom.  Items such as fresh raw grassfed beef, fresh sashimi grade fish, really raw honeycomb, toothpaste with no fluoride in it, and mead.  I don't plan on drinking often this summer but I want an alternative to beer and and hard liquor.  I will probably pick up a watermelon, some cucumbers, coconut water and some other fresh fruit as well.  But alas I feast alone.  :(

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2011, 01:41:45 pm »
So I ate really good this weekend.  1 pound of sashimi grade blue marlin.  Nearly a pound of sashimi grade yellowfin tuna.  A half pound of sea scallops.  A little over 2lbs of fresh grassfed hamburger,  a bunch of egg yolks from a farm, plus watermelon, cucumbers, and apples.  The raw seafood was a tasty but costly addition to my diet.  Oh well.

Side note, I actually like the taste of the raw fresh grassfed hamburger.  I never had not frozen grassfed beef before and it is sooooo much better than anything that has been frozen.  It actually tastes really good!!!  I didn't think I would enjoy the taste of raw beef so soon, but it is so good.  I need to get more fresh more often.  The problem is the drive to the store where I get all the items takes a lot of gas.  Plus it is more expensive in the store than when I buy in bulk (a side of beef) from the farm.  I might make it a once a week trip.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2011, 01:48:28 am »
So today I am doing a Raw Animal Food only day (ZC).  I decided I wanted the throw in a zero carb day every once and a while because I hear it promotes increased testosterone.  And I'm going swimming tomorrow and this will 'thin me out a bit' I think.  I know it is impossible to consume zero carbs because carbs exist in small amounts in muscle meat, but I am using the term for convenience.

I started the day with 7 egg yolks, I hear the biotin in egg yolks is very healing for the digestive system, so I have been eating a lot lately.  Then I will probably consume a little under 2lbs of grassfed meat throughout the rest of the day.

Tomorrow will be 90 degrees and sunny, and I'm going swimming.  I just hope the snapping turtle in my parents pond leaves me alone.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2011, 01:34:43 am »
Told my dad and his girlfriend that I was eating raw foods.  I was visiting them this weekend and I packed my own food.  They were surprisingly cool with it.  I don't think they really approve, but they didn't tell me not to do it.  They just said be careful.

I bought some grassfed ground beef from a Co-op store some miles away.  I got 8lbs on friday last week.  It is in my fridge uncovered and I've probably eaten 2/3 of it.  The top has dried out now and I am not eating the really dry parts.  How long do you think it is ok for me to keep eating it?

Offline Amris

• Egg Thief
  • Rising From the Ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2011, 09:15:59 pm »
You can look up "High Meat", and that should tell you more about how long you can eat it. If you read Sully's journal, and a few others, some people even purposefully dehydrate their meat a bit to give it more "chewability". I just made that word up.  -d

I can't really answer your question, but it does seem that high meat is quite a popular thing amongst some paleo dieters. You're already braver than I am, so I certainly personally wouldn't judge you either way you went with it. As far as health and safety goes... let's face it... who can know for sure? The medical establishment is misled and has been misleading us for years. I am uncertain what the definitive answer is on that.

Wish I could help more. But I bet you'll get some good answers if you look up high meat.

I watched a video about one guy who wouldn't eat any meat that wasn't several months old and well rotted. So...  ???

Good job hanging in there!
The thought manifests as the word; The word manifests as the deed; The deed develops into habit; And habit hardens into character; So watch the thought and its ways with care, And let it spring from love Born out of concern for all beings...

As the shadow follows the body, as we think, so we become.

The Dhammapada

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2011, 02:23:51 am »
Thanks for the advice Amris, I think I will eat the rest of my ground beef today.  It doesn't taste bad to me and I didn't get any negative reactions last night eating it.  I did see Sully's video where he talked about chewability and the dried meat is definitely more chewable.  My ground meat isn't high meat because it has been exposed to the air in my fridge the whole time.  I will probably start eating high meat in a few months after I've figured out my WOE a little more.

Thank you for the encouragement.

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2011, 03:13:10 am »
Hey Max,

In lieu of searching for fluoride-free toothpaste you could try using organic, aluminum-free baking soda. It is less expensive and more accessible in most cases.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2011, 04:13:21 am »
Hey Max,

In lieu of searching for fluoride-free toothpaste you could try using organic, aluminum-free baking soda. It is less expensive and more accessible in most cases.

Thank you for the suggestion Juzeza, I may have to try that.  I did pick up a fluoride-free toothpaste already though.  I don't put much on the toothbrush because the flavor is overpowering. 

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2011, 02:19:04 pm »
I ate about 1.5 pounds of honey in the last 2 days.  I will observe my body for the effect.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2011, 02:31:33 pm »
I ate about 1.5 pounds of honey in the last 2 days.  I will observe my body for the effect.
Wow thats a bunch!!
I though I ate a lot of honey. But that is in a whole different league!
Curious to see what is does for you.
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2011, 01:36:04 am »
As far as I can tell nothing has changed.  I might have a little more fat around my midsection but that is it.  Before the 1.5 pounds of raw honey I ate over the past 2 days, I usually ate between 0-2 tablespoons of raw honey a day plus some fruit to go with meat and fat.  I was constipated the last 5 days before the honey.  It did help me go to the bathroom, maybe thats why I craved it so much?  Maybe I was just craving sugar or carbs?  Anyway, I'm going to lay off the honey for a couple days and then see if I can get back to just eating 0-2 tablespoons for a day.

I've always been a big sweet eater (cookies, brownies, ice cream, candy-bars, gummy-worms, Dr. Pepper, everything in the candy isle).  And when I was going off diet last month and the month before I would eat a lot of sweets.  So I am happy I stayed all raw while gorging myself on sugar.  I know 1.5 pounds of honey is not optimal but I am not going to beat myself up for it.  I can only move forward.

Offline Amris

• Egg Thief
  • Rising From the Ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2011, 07:46:28 am »
I think that sometimes our bodies know what we need, and maybe we'll never really know why. There are a lot of good properties to honey. Perhaps it was just the thing your body needed in order to heal or help itself in some way. Perhaps you were in ketosis all the time and you ran out of body fat to siphon so your body asked you to build up a bit of a reserve for it to nip at now and again.

Either way, it's important to mark our successes, and recognize that our "failures" are really just learning experiences. Our society altogether too often demonizes "errors," when those are our very best learning opportunities.
The thought manifests as the word; The word manifests as the deed; The deed develops into habit; And habit hardens into character; So watch the thought and its ways with care, And let it spring from love Born out of concern for all beings...

As the shadow follows the body, as we think, so we become.

The Dhammapada

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2011, 02:37:08 am »
Either way, it's important to mark our successes, and recognize that our "failures" are really just learning experiences. Our society altogether too often demonizes "errors," when those are our very best learning opportunities.

These are wise words. I often find myself stressing over decisions I should be more careful about when it comes to my health. This perspective helps one to relieve the stress.  ;)

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2011, 04:00:49 am »
Yes I do believe for me right now a willingness to compromise is a good thing.  Went out to breakfast with some friends after a night of drinking mead and wine.  A practice I am seriously considering giving up permanently.  At breakfast I ordered steak and eggs.  So I ate rare steak, over-easy eggs and some bacon.  Not too bad a cheat meal I think.

Eventually I want to be to the point where I feel comfortable telling people that raw foods is my WOE (way of eating) and that I don't feel the need to compromise my diet to be social.  That is an evolutionary step that I am not quite to yet with some people.  My immediate family knows about me eating raw and that is it. 

One step at a time, one day at a time.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2011, 04:40:45 pm »
SOO MUCH HONEY.  I've eaten a lot of honey recently,  probably 4lbs in a week and a half.  I can tell I've gained some body fat...  I feel less then optimal with all my carb bingeing.  I am thinking I might go VLC for a while and see how I feel.  If it feels good then I am going to try RZC.  Because all these carbs from all this fruits that didn't even exist in the wild, and the copious amounts of honey I ate, can't be good for me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk