Author Topic: Max's Journal  (Read 45768 times)

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Max's Journal
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2011, 01:08:18 pm »
About to try my first bite of Raw Grassfed Beef Liver...

Not as bad as I thought it would be.

Reminds me of scallops a little.  The flavor is hard to describe besides saying that it is Different.  I'm chasing the liver down with some grassfed hamburger.

Just finished my liver, I'd say 1/4 pound.  My reward... Some fresh tasty grassfed hamburger :)

I'll eat some more liver tomorrow.
"The strong white teeth sank into the raw and dripping flesh in apparent relish of the meal, but Clayton could not bring himself to share the uncooked meat with his strange host; instead he watched him, and presently there dawned upon him the conviction that this was Tarzan of the Apes....." - Edgar Rice Burroughs, 'Tarzan of the Apes'

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2011, 10:15:25 am »
So I was sick last night, and also today.  A runny nose.  Sneezing.  Jaw ache.  Lack of focus.  Maybe it was the liver I ate?  Maybe it was the fact that I cleaned my room and probably inhaled too much dust?  Maybe the sashimi I ate at this Japanese restaurant was bad?  But I think it was that I had some plum wine, some hot sake, and some cheesecake at the Japanese restaurant.  I thought I was treating myself.  But I think I was just treating myself to illness.  I hope I am better Tomorrow.
"The strong white teeth sank into the raw and dripping flesh in apparent relish of the meal, but Clayton could not bring himself to share the uncooked meat with his strange host; instead he watched him, and presently there dawned upon him the conviction that this was Tarzan of the Apes....." - Edgar Rice Burroughs, 'Tarzan of the Apes'

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2011, 11:56:43 am »
Strange Occurrence.

I had a cold, a jaw ache and the sniffles Friday night.  I woke up Saturday with the same symptoms.  Fresh air seemed to help.  I spent most of Saturday tracking down locations for natural spring water.  It was quite an adventure.  I talked to a stranger about an old spring house (the roof had collapsed) on her property, then I collected some water for 'testing'.  I drank the water.  Not much maybe a cup.  Felt fine.  Then next spring I found I had to hike through tall grass, weeds and brush, waist high, to get to it.  It was very difficult, that one was unattended and had a more dubious nature about it.  I drank probably a cup of water from there as well.  The last spring I went to was an artesian well, that is widely used for drinking water by people in the area.  I drank a lot from that spring and gathered about 3 gallons.

I got back home at around 9pm.  I stopped drinking water at 8pm, and other than the same sniffles that I'd had all day I felt fine.  I ate some meat and fat (1/2pound).  The same meat and fat that I had had earlier in the day (probably 1/2 pound at 1 pm)  At 10pm I started getting a stomach ache.  That turned into the 'stomach ache of the century'.  I also got feverish.  I laid down in bed and covered myself in blankets.  If I got out of bed I was shaking because I was so cold.  I while in bed I was sweating like crazy.  I had very interrupted sleep for the first 3 hours.  I felt horrible the whole time.  My mind was trying to figure out what did this.  Was it the water?  Was it the food I ate yesterday?  After 7 hours I woke up.  Still with a bad stomach ache still with a runny nose.  I wanted to try and sleep this off a little more.  I slept for another 7 hours.  About 14 hours of total sleep. 

I didn't have a runny nose today, my stomach still hurts, but not as bad as yesterday.  I decided not to eat anything today, because I thought it would help with healing, and I wasn't that hungry.  My stomach is still sore (lower abdomen area, below navel). 

I hope I feel better tomorrow.  I haven't been sick in a really long time.  I hope this is a minor setback in health, not a major one.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2011, 03:18:13 pm »
Spring waters high in minerals are known to cause stomach ache. But nothing of this magnitude I think. Maybe one of the springs had been contaminated in some way. If I was to drink from a natural spring in a pristine clean area I wouldn't have any problems with it. But in our toxic world any spring close to civilisation I would have analysed before I would drink from it regularly. Drinking a few sips contaminated water isn’t that bad usually however if you drink it daily toxins might start to build up in the body. Especially heavy metals leached in the ground are a problem. Better safe than sorrow I’d say get your water tested. Oh don’t let anyone tell you the water is tested safe. Judge the values yourself. High chlorine levels are considered safe for example.

Hope you get well soon. Just in case you did ingest some toxins from one of those springs you might want to eat quite a bit of fat to help transport them out the body. Activated charcoal might help clean your digestive track of whatever it is that is making you sore.
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline p0wer

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2011, 03:40:04 pm »
It's most probably the spring water. I've had a similar experience with bottled spring water high in minerals, it completely messed up my digestive system by the time I figured out it's the water.
Try to also eat as many apples as you can, they are high in pectin which acts as a chelating agent for heavy metals (in case the water was polluted or something).

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2011, 03:17:29 am »
I feel better today.  My only remaining symptom is a small stomach ache.  I think one of the springs was contaminated and that my immune system was down from the cold I had.  I think the combination was what caused my fever and severe stomach cramps/ache.

Yesterday I fasted, only drinking the spring water that I 'trust'.  I think I will have it tested.  I ate 1 whole egg mixed with 2 yolks for breakfast and right now I am going to eat some grassfed hamburger and some suet.  Thank you for the advice pOwer and HIT_it_RAW, I think I will be more careful next time.

Power, was the bottled spring water that messed you up was that treated, heated or filtered?

Offline p0wer

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2011, 04:09:51 am »
It was the Sonnenquelle from here: http://www.st-leonhards-quelle.de/ha_Wasser.html?current_mp=6

Seems the only treating is the mandatory removal of iron from the water.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2011, 08:08:36 am »
My stomach still has some ache today.  I am going to not drink the spring water for the next few days and see if it will go away.

p0wer, How long did it take for your symptoms to improve after you stopped drinking spring water?

Offline p0wer

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2011, 09:13:24 pm »
About 3 days. I read it's possible that it blocks/slows down stomach emptying (in particular because of the high hydrogen carbonate content).

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2011, 03:19:12 am »
My stomach ache is all the way gone.  I think it might have been a Urinary Tract infection that got into my kidneys because of the symptoms.  To get the pain away, I bought dried cranberries and some cranberry juice (pasteurized  :(), because that was all I could get.

Back on raw.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2011, 03:07:02 pm »
Hey All,

Been about a week since I posted.  I went away for last weekend and ate and drank and was merry.  Then I had a difficult time switching back to raw.  I was watching my parents house this week, they were out of town.  I they had a bunch of goodies (cookies, chocolate) and I couldn't help myself so I ate SAD for two more days (Four days total, including last weekend).  I am back to raw, I am sad that when I go off diet, I go on these horrible binges.  At my rental house I don't keep any 'temptation food' in the cupboards.  This helps.

I am thinking about trying Raw ZC, as I am tired of pussyfooting around it.  I always planned on RZC being my ultimate destination (if my body does well on it).  I have a cookout to go to with work people this Saturday, I will try and stick to cooked paleo, but after that I will give RZC a try.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2011, 03:59:39 am »
I've started ZC today.  I just ate a 1/3lb of kidney.  I didn't like it.  Maybe I will try and eat a 1/2lb of organ meat 5 times a week.

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Concerns?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2011, 04:16:29 am »
I prefer lamb liver and kidney, both for their taste and size. One small lamb kidney just about does it, and I don't get those often. One medium lamb's liver is my usual weekly purchase. At around 1/12 pounds, it makes about 4 servings. I eat one or two ounces of marrow at a time, every day or every other day. I working on getting a brain, I think I'll like it. Heart is so-so for me. BTW, I cycle between ZC and low carb - following instinct.

So, my comment is: try lamb!
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2011, 12:28:18 pm »
Eveheart, I am getting a whole lamb from a grassfed farmer early this fall.  I can't wait.  I've only had lamb a few times, and that was many years ago, and cooked.

I am on day two of Raw ZC and I feel tired.  I could barely stay awake today, even though I had over 8 hours of sleep.  I put in an order to slankers for pet food.  I hope I find that more palateable than the organs I've eaten whole. :)

On a side note I started running sprints last week mon, wed, fri.  Then today I ran my first sprint and I pulled a muscle in my inner thigh.  I walked home after that.  I hope the injury heals itself fast.  I don't think I will be sprinting for a few weeks (maybe a month).

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2011, 12:43:42 pm »
Lucky you... you will learn a lot with a whole lamb. I want to learn how to butcher lamb. I can recognize all the cuts now just by the way they look. Lamb fat is my favorite fat!
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2011, 03:24:35 am »
I did ZC for about 5 days.  I was feeling tired, no energy, but otherwise okay.  Then I binged on SAD food that weekend when my friend came into town.  I am now back on ZC for the last 2 days.  I want to stay 100% ZC until August 6.  That is my mom's birthday (50) so I decided since we would be traveling to see relatives I would eat what everyone else eats.  An then after that day go straight back to ZC (if its working for me still).

This WOE gets old but I can see results even from my lax implementation of the diet.  I want to try and be 100% raw so that I am not taking two steps forward and one step back.  I want to stay 100% raw ZC and see where it takes my health.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2011, 04:01:31 am »
I hate how I write my last post yesterday and then I ate all kinds of SAD shit that night (soda, chips, candy).  I can only move forward from here and try to stay ZC.  So I guess today is my new Day 1 of ZC.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2011, 03:55:18 am »
Right now I am Day 4 RZC.

My energy is definitely lower, and I definitely have been sleeping a lot the last few days.  My only goal for the next two week is to stay RZC, sleep and rest as much as I can, go for walks and bike rides, and get plenty of sun.  Hopefully I will be adapted to using fat for fuel instead of carbs.  Right now my body and brain don't seem to work as well as they used to.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2011, 02:09:12 pm »
Just finished Day 5 RZC.

Some of my old injuries and pains started hurting yesterday.  I think maybe my muscles are not supporting my structure as well.  I sleep a lot and I feel tired during the day.  But I have more energy than the day before, so maybe I am adapting.  I am definitely going to stick it out, and see how I feel compared to with carbs.

Tomorrow I am going to go on a long (2hr) bike ride with my mom.  I will see how my body reacts to the increased exercise level.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2011, 07:33:33 am »
I am on day 6 of RZC.  Definitely the longest I've ever gone without carbs.  I fee better today, still probably not at full energy yet.  Went on a 2 hour bike ride today.  That went fine.  I think posting as often as possible keeps me on the right path and keeps me from cheating with other foods.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2011, 09:02:44 am »
Max, how are things going? I see you haven't posted in awhile. Hope all is well.

I have been eating RZC now for 11 days and it has gotten easier for me. The hardest part for me has been knowing when to stop eating (that is, stopping when I am full). I notice a subtle change in the flavor of my food and it is no longer palatable, so I just put my leftovers away until the next day. I have been eating lots of fat, which I wasn't doing before. Fats are key for me.

I am not a big fan of heart either. I just eat a little bit here and there, really just a few ounces with some meals, which are mostly ground beef and fat. I eat it for the CoQ10. Like you, I find that sometimes it tastes good and othertimes not so good. I just make it the first thing I eat. When I am hungry I am less picky about taste.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2011, 12:37:34 am »
Max attack is back!

Ready to give this another go.  I fell of the wagon there in August, although i mostly ate cooked paleo.  My grandfather died and I was under a lot of stress for many reasons.

I've been RZC September 1st and I am feeling pretty good this time, like I can stick with it.

I still have chronic pain in my upper back/neck/shoulder but I am optimistic that I will be able to cure that within a year.  I will keep everyone up to date on my eating and my actions taken to cure my pain.

Right now I am eating some ground lamb.  It's ok, I think I like beef better.  I have been doing ZONE Therapy for my pain.  I don't know if its helped with my pain, but my attitude is always better after a session.  Also the last few days I have been doing Joint Mobility exercises from Pavel's book Super Joints.  I do think that is helping a little with my pain.  I thinks some or maybe even the majority of the pain I experience is from structural problems (mild scoliosis, lax tendons) in my body.

I'll try and be more consistent with my posting.

-Max

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2011, 10:47:45 pm »
It has been a while since I gave an update.  I am spending less time on my computer.

Right now I am zero carb.  I am eating some grassfed ground beef and suet right now.  I plan on sticking with zc for a while.  I have been zc for about 8 days, and was all raw for about a week before that.  Before Oct 1st I had been on a mix of raw and cooked paleo with occasional SAD binges.  Not the healthiest.

Along with zc I am started doing yoga 3 times a week.  I do about an hour of joint mobility exercises and another hour and a half of postural exercises every day.

My goal is to eventually heal the injury in my back, neck, and shoulder.  I want to live pain free again.

What I want to get out of zc:
1.  Tighten up tendons as mine are lax and over-flexible ( I also think this would improve my body's structure and posture)
2.  Get rid of all acne forever.   
3.  Get rid of body fat, gain muscle.
4.  Get rid of constipation.
5.  Improve circulation (no more cold hands and feet)
6.  Have strength and energy to accomplish things during the day.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2011, 01:55:23 am »
I feel good right now.  I was just talking to my dentist, who is expanding my upper and lower arches with a light wire system, and we were talking about changes in the body and mind and how they are gradual.  Also life is what you make it and your outlook will manifest itself anyway it can.  I am thinking positively about who I am becoming even though my neck hurts bad right now.  I am in the process of getting better.  I am in the process of becoming who I was meant to be.

Side note:  Right now I am eating 1/2 pound of raw grassfed hamburger.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2012, 06:41:31 am »
Almost a year since my last post in the journal section.  I am happy to report that I am 95% pain free.  What cured my was a book called Healing Back Pain:  The Mindbody Connection by Dr. John Sarno.  I can't explain the book's method as well as the author can but if you have chronic back pain or pain from an injury that hasn't gone away READ THIS BOOK.  It changed my life.  I was in pain for 4 years and tried everything in western medicine and just about every alternative therapy you can think of as well.  Thanks Wodgina for suggesting the book.

Side note... I am experimenting with raw paleo again.  Raw eggs, Raw grassfed beef with spices and raw onion, and also with organic, non-homoginized, grassfed dairy that has been pasturized to 145 degrees as I cannot get it raw where I live.  I plan on trying to gain a lot of muscle now that I am healed and I think mostly raw paleo will help me do that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk