Author Topic: organ mixes  (Read 4396 times)

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
organ mixes
« on: February 20, 2011, 03:50:14 am »
the ground organ/meat mix i get from the farmer is not always consistent, but there is one mix that i particularly like.  i don't know how to describe the taste, but the color changes too.  i was wondering if anyone might have an idea on what it is (organ) that i like based on that?  there is a deep red mix that i don't really like.  maybe that one has a lot of heart??  the one that i really really like is more orange-ish than red. 

probably that's nothing to go on.  i might just order a few different ones and see if i can figure it out.

and i've read on here that tongue is really good for newbies, and tasty, but.. it looks... like a tongue!  :P
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 04:53:46 am by TylerDurden »

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: organ mixes
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 05:56:46 am »
deep red could be spleen.  it does have very specific taste.  definitely not for everyone.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 06:32:07 am »
and i've read on here that tongue is really good for newbies, and tasty, but.. it looks... like a tongue!  :P
Feels like one too when you take it out of it's bag. I threw the first one out because I couldn't get past it.
Tongue is recommended because it's mild unlike many other organs. The mental image of eating a tongue is the hard part to get past.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 09:29:25 am »
Ioanna it could be kidney, it can have that color and when I first tasted it it was amazing.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 10:23:43 am »
Thanks, MK!  I can't wait to try some now.  I'm still going to get a few organs so I know what is what, but I really can't wait to eat (kidney?) again and I can't believe I'm excited about eating an organ! :D

YS, thanks for letting me know that too, I definitely don't like whatever is deep red.  The taste is kind of smokey (ish?) to me.

lol at dan, i don't think i'm ready for tongue.  i'm not sure what is so weird about a tongue, but i don't like looking at it  :D

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 12:29:26 pm »
Spleen has the highest proportion of vitamin C out of all the organs.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 06:04:18 am »
I don't know why the organ mixes taste the way they do but ground beef sometimes tastes better than chuck or whatever. The only organ in mine I havn't had whole is spleen, so maybe thats the punchy tasting thing. Heart is pretty close to muscle meat. Tongue is arguably the most fatty/delicious of the typical organs. Kidney I like but I don't think is packing the flavor in the mix. Liver probably tastes better (to me) in small doses mixed with other things so maybe I enjoy it more in the mix. I can eat 1 lb of liver but its not exactly a party in my mouth.

I don't think tongue will be less approachable in a psychological sense than kidney..don't see that happening. I'd say just buy a tongue or heart and just cut it up into bits...perhaps put it away in a cupboard or something and then eat it later. the parts that have the harder surface just avoid or toss. You can also get smaller animal tongue of course like goat or lamb..even bison...but doubt that will make any difference in 'yuk' factor.

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/off-topic/what-are-you-eating-right-now/msg50842/#msg50842
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 06:20:57 am by TylerDurden »

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 10:57:35 pm »
so your guys' farmer butchers his own animals and cuts up the organs and mixes them? hmmmmmmmmm

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 10:37:25 am »
so your guys' farmer butchers his own animals and cuts up the organs and mixes them? hmmmmmmmmm

yes, they sell it as 'pet food only'. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk