Author Topic: Bone Broth Recipe  (Read 3058 times)

Offline Coatue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Bone Broth Recipe
« on: February 24, 2011, 10:04:08 am »
Although not raw paleo, does anybody have a good marrow bone broth recipe that is the "healthiest" in terms of low amount of heat and destroying of nutrition?

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Bone Broth Recipe
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 10:11:33 am »
Why would you want to cook delicious bone marrow? :'( Makes me sad.
All I want is the truth... Just gimme some truth.
"I wanna be the minority."

Offline FoxWoman

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 10:16:38 am »
I used to make a lot of broth before... It's very simple. Get different types of meaty bones from one type of an animal (say, beef) - those should include marrow bones, neck bones, and also pieces of tough meat. Cover with COLD water and put on a medium to high heat. When close to a boiling point, a lot of scum will start appearing on the surface. Reduce the heat a little and collect the scum with a spotted spoon until there is no more. After that, add veggies - whole carrots, onions and celery, and good sea salt. Reduce heat to a minimum. After about 1 hour of simmering, remove the veggies (otherwise they will get too mushy and spoil the taste of broth). Let simmer for about 24 hours - on the LOWEST possible heat. Some also recommend to put vinegar into the broth but I never do - IMO, it spoils the taste. When broth is ready, turn off the heat, let it cool a bit, throw away all bones and meat (or give those to your dog) and filter the liquid through cheese cloth. It will keep well for over a week in the fridge, or you can freeze it.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 02:18:29 am »
Why would you want to cook delicious bone marrow? :'( Makes me sad.
I eat the marrow and then give my wife the bones to make broth. I don't have much use for the bones after I've gotten my marrow out so if she can use them more power to her. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk