Author Topic: Trying to Source Grassfed  (Read 4117 times)

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Trying to Source Grassfed
« on: March 08, 2011, 06:48:41 pm »
Hey guys,

I spend some of my time in Hastings, East Sussex, where I know a good few places I should be able to get some good quality meat.

The rest of my time I am in Oxford (actually just outside), which is where I am now. I checked with what I considered would be my best bet, a butcher's selling mostly organic meat. They told me the cows are grassfed in the summer, but in the winter, i.e. now, they are fed on grains.

What do you think of this? Give me some advice please.

Thanks,
Sam
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:17:20 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Trying to Source Grassfed
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 07:19:00 pm »
Well, I would suggest using that for now, but to look around as much as possible for 100 percent grassfed meats or wild game. Farmers' markets are a good bet, and if you search online you will find many grassfed meat farms which will deliver meats to your door.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 08:51:43 pm »
The rest of my time I am in Oxford (actually just outside), which is where I am now. I checked with what I considered would be my best bet, a butcher's selling mostly organic meat. They told me the cows are grassfed in the summer, but in the winter, i.e. now, they are fed on grains.
What do you think of this? Give me some advice please.
Thanks,
Sam

I wouldn't touch this meat.
It is easy to get high quality meat in the UK.

Löwenherz

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 09:12:02 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

There are some other butcher's in oxford I could ask, but I'm not sure the meat will be organic.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 09:20:42 pm »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 09:26:37 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

There are some other butcher's in oxford I could ask, but I'm not sure the meat will be organic.

Organic doesn't say anything. Organic grains are as bad as non-organic grains. 100% grass feeding does the trick.

Löwenherz

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 09:31:19 pm »
OTT...

Not at all.

Ten years ago I would have laughed about my today's recommendations. I was convinced that organic is wonderful and a little grain is ok.

I have learned my lessons the hard way. Not all grain finished meat is inherently so bad that it causes diseases. But IT IS possible. Du to my own experiences I would never tell a newcomer that he can eat raw grain fed beef thoughtlessly.

Löwenherz

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 09:53:40 pm »
What do I need to be careful of in respects to other meats. Say for example lamb, like lamb's liver. I need to make sure the lamb's are pasture and grassfed too right?

What about wild game. Is any wild game going to be okay, or is there anything in particular I need to look out for?

Thanks,
Sam

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 11:55:44 pm »
Lamb is more likely to be pastured than beef, but check anyway.As for wild game, doesn't matter - it's best to get the whole carcass so you can get the blood as well, but it's no big deal to just buy bloodless cuts of wild venison and the like.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 03:34:02 am »
So I just ate my first raw meat ever. I managed to get hold of some venison meat, leg meat I think. I chopped it up into medium size chunks and sat down to eat. At first I just sat staring at it. My mind conditioned to tell me that I'm surely going to get sick and die if I eat it! :D After a number of moments of smelling it and inspecting it, I put my mouth around it and bit off a chunk. The whole experience was really weird. It's amazing how such a simple, natural thing like eating raw meat has so much stigma with it [in western society].

I didn't eat that much, and rounded it off with some egg yolks as the meat didn't have any fat on it.

Peace,
Sam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk