Author Topic: Albacore Tuna  (Read 11399 times)

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Albacore Tuna
« on: March 13, 2011, 04:46:02 am »
anyone know where to get this frozen (as opposed to canned) and raw?

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Albacore Tuna
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 08:59:34 am »
Oh my it's delicious. Check at a  store that sells seafood (whole foods etc.). Or sushi restaurant. Very fatty too.
Most of of it will be prefrozen thawed or frozen out of season.

Here in Oregon I discovered the taste of good fresh (not old) albacore. I am rigth by the coast so maybe it is esier to get here. In 2 days I will be back in Wisconsin. I never bought albacore there raw because I never knew it tasted good. I shall see if it is there in the stores when I get back :)

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 10:21:13 am »
thanks sully!  maybe it's my location?.. i've only been able to find (whole foods) canned tuna which says it's raw and flash frozen on the boat, but when i looked online it is actually 'cooked once'.  the guy at whole foods says it's so delicate that it can't even stay out on the ice, but they don't have it frozen either. the websites i've seen say that tuna is so delicate they 'cook it once' for preservation.

i had some at a sushi restaurant, and i love it!!!!!  the menu said it was raw, but now it seems i probably ate this 'once cooked' canned stuff   ???   i hope that's not why i liked it so much  :( 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 12:39:28 pm by Ioanna »

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 04:15:41 pm »
I find it incredible that you can't buy fresh tuna. Tuna fillets from Guam, Sri Lanka, Oman and elsewhere are flown vacuum packed fresh and raw all around the world.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 08:26:52 pm »
I find it incredible that you can't buy fresh tuna. Tuna fillets from Guam, Sri Lanka, Oman and elsewhere are flown vacuum packed fresh and raw all around the world.

Welcome to America.

Offline Rawdietforhealth

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 11:04:46 pm »
Have you tried yellow fin tuna?  You can usually get that raw in whole foods.  I eat quite a bit of raw yellow fin tuna since it is very plentiful here in the Philippines, at least a kilo every week.  My sister has warned me though about mercury from eating excessive tuna (more than a half kilo a week).  What are others thoughts on mercury from tuna, swordfish, marlin and other large ocean fish?

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 03:02:02 am »
thanks sully!  maybe it's my location?.. i've only been able to find (whole foods) canned tuna which says it's raw and flash frozen on the boat, but when i looked online it is actually 'cooked once'.  the guy at whole foods says it's so delicate that it can't even stay out on the ice, but they don't have it frozen either. the websites i've seen say that tuna is so delicate they 'cook it once' for preservation.

i had some at a sushi restaurant, and i love it!!!!!  the menu said it was raw, but now it seems i probably ate this 'once cooked' canned stuff   ???   i hope that's not why i liked it so much  :(  
Yeah sashimi stuff is raw, sushi tuna in rice is sometimes cooked. Canned tuna is always cooked in stores, they are canned sealed, then cooked in the can like sardines I think. Its white and dry when cooked and pinkish moist when raw, can't you tell the difference? lol ;)

this is sashimi, just raw fish with lemon and wasabi on the side, raw albacore on the top left hand side
http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/60427/60427,1184523666,1/stock-photo-a-combination-plate-with-salmon-tuna-albacore-and-yellow-tail-sashimi-3879772.jpg

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 03:10:06 am »
Have you tried yellow fin tuna?  You can usually get that raw in whole foods.  I eat quite a bit of raw yellow fin tuna since it is very plentiful here in the Philippines, at least a kilo every week.  My sister has warned me though about mercury from eating excessive tuna (more than a half kilo a week).  What are others thoughts on mercury from tuna, swordfish, marlin and other large ocean fish?

No Whole Foods around here, at least none to which I can bike or bus.  I think the mercury scare is a bunch of nonsense.  Of course mercury is dangerous in high enough amounts, but for the small amounts that would be consumed in raw fish I wouldn't be concerned.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 04:00:21 am »
Yeah sashimi stuff is raw, sushi tuna in rice is sometimes cooked. Canned tuna is always cooked in stores, they are canned sealed, then cooked in the can like sardines I think. Its white and dry when cooked and pinkish moist when raw, can't you tell the difference? lol ;)

lol, sad but i did not see raw albacore until now :(

i ate sashimi, so hopefully that was raw.  and thanks for posting that pic!, i'm going to try to copy that one day :D

yeah, i ended up getting the yellow fin because they had that one, but it's not the same and i still want some albacore if i can find it.

as for mercury, td posted on that.. let me try to find it.  in short, i think he calls it 'rubbish' :D   

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 04:11:43 am »
 Here is one of the several threads about mercury - in dental fillings in the title, but the discussion went  about fish as well.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 12:49:32 pm »
I get albacore tuna sometimes from Costco. It's a big warehouse type store with membership , kindof like Sam's Club if you've heard of that

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk