Author Topic: Is it possible to leave civilization forever and return to the wild?  (Read 15085 times)

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
Being on paleo has of course brought me back to nature. But watching tv and seeing modern day paleo people and tribes, makes ya jealous ya know of how life is easier when not having to deal with society's standards, being paleo all the time and accepted, and being in nature.

Is it possible just to just leave civilization and where you live and jump into the wild and start thriving in the wild and becoming a hunter gatherer again like our paleo ancestors?

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to leave civilization forever and return to the wild?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 07:31:51 pm »
It might be just possible to live as a hunter gatherer, but you couldn't be raw paleo you'd have to live how they live eating whatever they can find...tubers, pork etc etc.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 07:37:37 pm »
Read up about anarchoprimitivism.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 08:02:48 pm »
Read up about anarchoprimitivism.

I wiki'ed it and I was looking forward to seeing people's experiences to going back to the wild, etc but mainly I just saw criticism of society. I don't want to criticize it, I just wanna see how people could leave society and survive in the wild again. Like a site, or a discussion, or people's stories, etc. And feedback from everyone here too.

Offline cliff

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 08:40:35 pm »
No you probably couldn't, at least at this point if your asking this question.

You need either serious knowledge(of the land and basic primitive skills) to live wild style or a tribe that has the knowledge.  You'll fail pretty fast if you don't have either of these.

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 09:28:58 pm »
ditto. The skills & knowledge these hunter gatherers posess have been handed down from generation to generation for millions of years. This and the fact that "civilization" has taken over all the prime real estate on earth.

Also, civilized humans the world over have degenerated mentally and physically during our 5,000 years of rule so we no longer have what it takes. Makes me sad to think about it.

I still dream about living a pre-civilized lifestyle though and make as many adjustments to my lifestyle as I possibly can. My cup is half full.
Naturally, Don

CitrusHigh

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 10:05:46 pm »
You can rewild. There are people out there doing it. I plan on doing it as soon as I get a few things squared away in 'civilized' life.

The biggest barrier to reclaiming your feral heritage is to gain as much native knowledge as you can. Despite appearances, we are all natives, all of our ancestors lived in the rhythm of nature, so it's in your genes quite literally.

But that means unless you've already put some work in to learning this stuff you have a lot of catching up to do. Unfortunately we aren't blessed with the elders we would have grown up with in the old ways, so instead books will have to fill the void for most of us.

For learning how to live with nature instead of trying to conquer it....

Advanced Bird Language by Jon Young
Seeing Through Native Eyes by Jon Young
Anything at all by Tom Brown
Journey to the Ancestral Self by Tamarack Song

All of these will help to fill in the gap for your awareness and instinct. Most people don't understand that everything in nature is ordered, everything is affecting everything else, and you can learn to interpret and get inside this system.

The most important part of thriving in the wilderness is to practice your awareness and tracking. These cause you to use your brain in such a way that most people in civilized society will never experience. It really, literally reactivates your instincts and intuition. This is not a bunch of metaphysical voo-doo, this is the real deal. It will completely and utterly shift the way you perceive the world.

Other important readings...

All books by Carlos Castaneda
Any books on tracking
Any field guides
Any books by Thomas Elpel, the most important of which is Botany in a Day which teaches order in the seemingly chaotic and overwhelming world of plant species and their edible and medicinal uses. *when you've studied this book for a while you should be able to go just about anywhere in the world and make educated inferences about the plant species there simply based on patterns you'll learn to recognize*

Look for elders everywhere and anywhere. The original earth people's probably learned most of their tricks from animals and through their own experiences.

The earth, in the sense of everything not made by people, is your home and it's calling for you always.

Besides, have you ever known that kind of freedom, to be able to wander wherever you wish to go, laying your head down one night under the stars by a brook, the next in a meadow, the next on a hilltop, and the next wherever you choose, knowing the land is going to provide and care for you. It is real liberty.

Plus you'll find your brain working faster and faster, arriving at solutions before you were even consciously considering a problem, memory will improve (actually a photographic memory is a by-product of tracking and awareness skills)

And then down the road, you'll look back and be amazed that you ever floated through life and unconsciously and ignorantly as you did. This may also create a rift between you and people who don't think like you, you'll forget what it was like to wear the blinders and live with tunnel vision, and then you'll have to adjust to being surrounded by those kind of people, unless you stay primitive.

I happen to believe we should have quit at hunting and gathering but maybe we needed to come to this point to realize that we weren't mature enough to use our technology responsibly. I mean think of it this way, the food used to raise itself to the highest quality possible by it's very nature, all we had to do was hunt it and manage the forest if we so chose. What kind of hare brained scheme was it to settle down and start busting our asses doing menial labor all day every day for the rest of our lives? That's no life at all to me! I want to wander and claim my birthright. And so does everyone else, they just don't know it, but each and every one of their cells is screaming for it. It is the root of dissatisfaction in our modern society, the unfulfilled age old genetic cry for expression. Heed the call and see what awaits you!

Offline cliff

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 10:41:30 pm »
What kind of hare brained scheme was it to settle down and start busting our asses doing menial labor all day every day for the rest of our lives?

I assume they thought that being able to survive past food shortages was worth the extra labor?  Not very fun to die of starvation due to local food scarcity.  Although agriculturist are not immune to this problem, Irish potato famine comes to mind.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 11:02:20 pm »
honestly it is the most humbling experience to "rewild" even with basic carpentry tools and friends, i have been up in the woods, building cabins on public land...having to take months to hike tools, shelter, food for storage, even concrete out into the woods in a good location is extremely physically and mentally demanding.  it takes a lot of dedication to continue to work as hard as possible when you know what ease you can assimilate back into the city and have everything already in place for you.

i think in the past it was a lot easier for hunter-gatherers and even our more recent ancestry to live in true sentience with nature because they where born INTO it, rather then into our modern society with is taken away from nature(referring to the physical/ecological realm outside of what man has created...because those too are part of nature) it takes many years to gain all of the necessary knowledge and skills that were once inherent to us because that is how we were raised.  it also takes the ability to preserve, recognize and understand many different aspects of ones environment that we do not even consider on a daily basis...we walk on concrete, we do not know how fertile the soil may be under our feet, or what might have grown there for the animals who would live there to graze on, or how water would flow down a hill and feed a field that is now a town, people do not even consider the importance of light and being in rhythm with the sun/moon and how all other creatures are and our disconnection from all of these elements makes us less able to fend for ourselves when these are the signals we rely on for survival

as has been mentioned, there are a variety of "rewilding" school as well as survival skills schools to attend
i think that at this point it is more necessary and realistic to figure out how to go back to a better gray area instead of trying to jump from black to white(humans like to do that kind of shit) and while considering rewilding and better understanding of how to live in harmony with nature, make sure to understand permaculture, sustainability and building biodynamicly with what is already here, human created structures and systems included although augmented.  

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 11:14:12 pm »
. What kind of hare brained scheme was it to settle down and start busting our asses doing menial labor all day every day for the rest of our lives?

most recently:  http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/2962/

I assume they thought that being able to survive past food shortages was worth the extra labor?  Not very fun to die of starvation due to local food scarcity.  Although agriculturist are not immune to this problem, Irish potato famine comes to mind.

i think they assumed nature was an inexhaustible resource...its the whole god gave you the earth to utilize for your own benefit...that occured hundreds if not thousands of years ago when we went from viewing the earth as our mother to viewing a god in ...as our father and creator(men alone cannot produce life...neither can women) and earth as a limbo between heaven and hell, not a place where we have the capability to create heaven....i recommend the book "the great cosmic mother" by monica sjoo...its a really indepth full annotated and extensively researched book on our history from complete being completely sentient and immersed in nature, religion going from practice to politics, agriculture, industry...it is truly awakening, somewhat infuriating but also empowering because once you are informed you can make conscious decisions..to me there is a reason this book is not well known...
when things get easy people often forget to pay there respects and to give back to what is truely sustaining them
we have been disconnected from nature for such a long time that we do not even recognize that we are part of it and that the same selfish destruction we inflict upon our habitat we do as well upon ourselves

CitrusHigh

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 05:08:00 am »

cliff, think about this statement, are there any contradictions here?

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 05:17:48 am »
I've seen some papers making a case that agriculture allowed a self perpetuating social system, because there was a food surplus it allowed people to take control of the food supply and create classes of people. Then the ruling classes had an incentive to perpetuate the system. Not Karl Marx era, some recent research that argued from archeological evidence.

Offline cliff

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 07:26:16 am »

cliff, think about this statement, are there any contradictions here?

No.

agriculturists can grow surpluses.  They are not immune to the problem of starvation though like I stated.

Where is the contradiction?

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 07:27:19 am »
It may be possible, but I wouldn't do it or wish it.
You need an entire tribe to agree to do this.

Maybe jungle survival training for fun and emergencies?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

CitrusHigh

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 07:43:23 am »
No gs, it is your birth rite and that is a common misconception. Don't view it as a harsh and unforgiving, untamed wilderness, view it as a mother who loves you and requires respect from you. Do that and the world becomes your playground, your home, your larder.

And cliff, I'm not going to give you the answer, you'll have to figure out where the contradiction is. If you don't care, then neither do I!  ;)

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 08:57:25 pm »
Your question says "forever". You may be able to "rewild" for a time, but with the current state of the earth you can not escape to the wild, have a family, children & grandchildren, the support of a tribe, etc. outside of civilization. You have been assimilated, resistance is futile. (StarTrek Borg)

I tried for 30 years. Did not even get 10%.

Ouch.
Naturally, Don

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 10:06:32 pm »
you must not have tried very hard
but yeah it would take generations to fully rewild, because it has taken us generations to disintegrate from nature.

it seems it is the same silly survival instinct that drives overconsumption, luxury, and sedentary lifestyle that survivalist and rewilders are driven by...it is a very base instinct...deeply rooted, very natural.....

because the future is never promised and only now is given it is best to operate from a place where you accept that you are given the chance to live in heaven now, through our actions and livelihood, by accepting and treating the earth as if where just that place, not necessarily mans creations but what we are created from...what was here before us and what we will eventually dissolve back into when we die, and take steps to help others recognize that we are given that opportunity

i think the point is if you dont accept it now, you will constantly be in limbo, and that is the lesson

bless!

CitrusHigh

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 12:02:45 am »
most recently:  http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/2962/

haha that was kind of rhetorical, but thanks for the article, it was enlightening, (un)fortunately I'm all too aware of the need for "stuff", even when I first became conscious of the push for "stuff" in this society it still took me years to unlock from advertising; getting rid of the TV was a start, then went magazines, no more logo'd clothes, no more new footwear or clothes  mostly(I'm thankful for good will and the likes). Gosh, the world I grew up in and the world I perceive now must as well be galaxies apart. I have friends who haven't seemed to change one iota from our high school days and it's amazing to me to consider what their realities must be like. Tv, video games, bars, office jobs, SAD to the max, it's frightening to think we're actually not galaxies apart!

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 10:57:56 am »
Something to keep in mind = bureaucrats (homosapien parasitica)
We have something here called "game thief", if the nannies find out that you are feeding yourself on the land, without their permission, they will attempt to put you in a cage.

...You need an entire tribe to agree to do this...

I agree all the way, primitive man was born in a group. With support from humans and the tools they have already made. Bringing your girlfriend into the jungle to make babies and eat elk sounds like a great weekend or month trip,
but you who will your children play/breed with in the future?

A tribe consisting of less than 50 people would be unnatural. LoL

The best choice IMO is to learn as much as possible, stay prepared, love/teach/challenge your children to the best of your abilities, and develop relationships with others who think along the same lines.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 02:32:51 pm »

A tribe consisting of less than 50 people would be unnatural. LoL

shhh, don't tell the indian scouts/trackers that, they might lose their identity! Actually it would be tribes of 50-100+ that would be unnatural. As far as the academia can tell, the magic number is somewhere between 50-100 for 'primitive' hunter gatherer bands. After that they fracture and diverge. At least that's what the people with them there deeplomas say!

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 09:29:24 pm »
There are a lot of things that can be done to live in accordance with our evolutionary biological inheritance while tolerating civilization.

Work a low stress job that involves non repetitive diverse physical activity.

Eat raw foods that are naturally produced.

Avoid TV, video games, cell phones, automobiles, appliances, etc.

Get daily aerobic exercise. Bike swim run walk houseclean garden.

Worship nature, meditate, pray.

Join Paleo groups like community gardeners, outdoor sports leagues, La Leche League, etc. etc.

Hunt, fish, gather food in the wild (preferably in groups and in primitive ways).

Research other ways to get back to where you once belonged.

Enjoy the best of both worlds.

Strive to be happy. We have the potential to live an active disease-free life for 120 years or more if we make the right lifestyle choices and humbly serve others.

Naturally, Don

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 10:27:13 pm »
you forgot to mention spend as much time as possible IN nature:) (or at least out of doors)

i totally agree with the last posts by donrad and actup though, very well said

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 11:18:11 pm »
First thing you'd have to give up is the computer... LOL

Add walking barefoot to your list Donrad.
Cheers
Al

Offline Alan

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2011, 06:53:46 pm »
humans cannot "re-wild".  We never were "wild".   

Agriculture and cities were not an accident. They are the ultimate step in our evolution.

I'm not saying that it's a pretty picture; and I'm not saying I like it.

But that is the truth.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2011, 06:22:22 am »
....But that is the truth.
Oh Shit, there is no way I can contest "the truth"  :P  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk