Author Topic: Organic Vegetation - Wash? Eat animals living on it? - Rat Lungworm - Slugs  (Read 11209 times)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
I was wondering what people here do with organic vegetation such as lettuce or kale... Do you eat it unwashed, and if so do you eat any animal life that comes with it, or do you wash the vegetation in water before eating?

Also.. Would you eat raw slugs?

Here is an article about Rat Lungworm, a parasite of rats which can infect humans, and cause problems:
http://www.suite101.com/content/rat-lungworm-angiostrongylus-cantonensis-a124372

Here's a news story about a guy who developed meningitis after eating a raw slug:
http://www.news.com.au/national/man-battles-for-life-after-eating-slug/story-e6frfkvr-1225866012092
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Found here:
http://news.discovery.com/human/raw-slugs-dont-eat-them.html

Here's a news story about a guy who developed meningitis after eating
http://www.news.com.au/national/man-battles-for-life-after-eating-slug/story-e6frfkvr-1225866012092

Read this article for sure, it's good ++for RPD. I actually read this one as I was writing the topic already.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 06:53:01 am by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
The Australian was most likely eating a typical diet, no reason to think what happened to him was because of parasites alone.

I cook rough veggies in soup or I do not eat them at all.
They make me uncomfortable and I feel I get nothing out of them.

Yes I would eat slugs, but not for sustenance. Just to prove a point to you.  ;D

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
I always eat my raw plant foods unwashed, except when in the company of foolish relatives who insist on pre-washing  them. And I would eat raw slugs, if available.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
I usually don't wash my food, except sometimes to wash the earth away from roots such as celeriac, carrots or sweet potatoes. I use seawater to wash the sand away from scallops and sometimes wash the fish in seawater too.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
I always eat my raw plant foods unwashed, except when in the company of foolish relatives who insist on pre-washing  them. And I would eat raw slugs, if available.
Are the raw plant foods organic? If not why wouldn't you try to clean the pesticides.

@miles
If its organic I don't clean it.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
Are the raw plant foods organic? If not why wouldn't you try to clean the pesticides.
A futile effort, chemical covered plants should be avoided.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet

Actup90 is quite right. Washing them would be useless as regards getting rid of pesticides. Anyway, I often get my fruits from farmer's markets where they don't use chemical sprays even if they are not certified organic.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
... even if they are not certified organic.
Very good point.
The price of an organic label is absurd, consequently the food is more costly most of the time.
Although in the supermarket organic is a safer route, it is nothing more than a trendy government license
Your local farmer is most likely not spraying hazardous chemicals all over his food/land.
Just ask.

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
There have been quite a few public illness outbreaks traced to raw organic veggies because people think they don't need to wash it.

The problem is that organic growers can use manure to fertilize which gets splashed up on the plants. This can spread harmful bacteria and parasites. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 03:53:00 am by TylerDurden »
Naturally, Don

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet

The problem is that organic growers can use manure to fertilize which gets splashed up on the plants. This can spread harmful bacteria and parasites. 

Interestingly, there was a study which showed that that an Iranian sect of vegans managed to remain healthy re maintaining vitamin B12 levels precisely because they did NOT wash the vegetables they grew. The fact is that they used manure as fertiliser for their plants, and, as a result, they got sufficient vitamin B12 that way:-

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM195903192601202

By contrast, modern raw vegans who insist on washing their fruits/veg and not using manure for fertiliser, routinely end up with health-problems re B12 deficiency as a direct result.

For other readers, I suggest reading up articles about the Hygiene Hypothesis which debunks many of the absurd notions re the supposed "dangers" of bacteria and parasites:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygiene_hypothesis

AV also has some info on  how food-poisoning claims are routinely wildly exaggerated in the media etc.:-

http://www.karlloren.com/Diabetes/p78.htm

AV points out the obvious that it is the environment and not the pathogen which is at issue.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 05:41:54 am by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
I ate some 6 month old slimy high meat last week, felt great and didn't die
do you think I "got lucky", donrad?

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
It is a survival adaptation for harmful bacteria and parasites to keep the host alive. If they killed the hosts off there would eventually be no hosts left.

Not dying does not mean not being infected. Everyone is infected to some degree. It is just a matter of more or less.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 02:14:07 pm by TylerDurden »
Naturally, Don

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
Question for those who don't wash their veggies: I'm interested on the b12 benefit of it, but what about the sand , dirt and grit usually on the veg, doesn't that bother you or your teeth or chewing and swallowing?

Also the article mentioned the parasites in crabs/shellfish and I eat them too, should I be worried?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 09:15:44 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
I wash the dirt off, though the Eskimoes didn't bother.

And, yes, eat the whole crab etc.
" Ron Paul.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
Also the article mentioned the parasites in crabs/shellfish and I eat them too, should I be worried?
I eat them when I find them.

And, yes, eat the whole crab etc.
The shell too  ;D

Then what is the problem with being "infected"?

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Then what is the problem with being "infected"?

I think because one can become bogged down by parasites without being killed by them, directly..

I eat them when I find them.

Eat what from what when you find what?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
I think because one can become bogged down by parasites without being killed by them, directly..
Well when(or if) it happens I will post, but for now the only things that bog me down are:
Too much cooked food
Too much fruit

Fresh meat, including high meat, has done nothing but pleased me.

Eat what from what when you find what?

I have found crab-like parasites in wild oysters. Ate each one.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
I have found crab-like parasites in wild oysters. Ate each one.

Oh right. That doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would affect a Human anyway though, just like any other animal. It'd be the parasites within the crab parasites that'd get you.

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
Oh right. That doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would affect a Human anyway though, just like any other animal. It'd be the parasites within the crab parasites that'd get you.

You mean if he ate the tiny crab like parasites there are parasites within them? lol that's like a cool paradox
I'm gonna start treating parasites like pro-biotics.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
Or even the parasites within the parasites of the parasitic crab! Now I'm terrified.
I'm going to go stick my head between my legs and kiss my butt cheeks goodbye.  :-*  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk