Author Topic: Scaling fish  (Read 4233 times)

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
Scaling fish
« on: April 12, 2011, 09:34:19 pm »
I usually buy my fish and have the monger scale it, but I was wondering if the scales are edible and a good source of minerals. Has  anyone successfullly eaten scales of fish or scale with the fish with good digestion and without choking?

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Scaling fish
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 11:14:17 pm »
I usually buy my fish and have the monger scale it, but I was wondering if the scales are edible and a good source of minerals. Has  anyone successfullly eaten scales of fish or scale with the fish with good digestion and without choking?

I've only had two raw fish, and I got them both whole but didn't eat the scales - one mackerel and one sardine(both wild).

Other people here have said they cut the scales up small and eat them though.

One question I have myself...: When I cut the fish down the belly there are all the guts and stuff... but then behind that, around the spine there was a stream of red going from the tail end into the head, quite wide but fairly shallow, surrounded by a thin membrane. Is this blood? Is it concentrated in the centre in cold water fish to preserve heat? I'm just wondering if it's something I should eat or not really. Also, what do people eat from the guts/internal organs of the fish? And also from the head.. I just ate the muscle and the eyes on the mackerel, but I would like to eat everything I can from it. Does anyone here just bite straight in to the side of fish, taking guts and everything?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 11:31:03 pm »
You eat whatever parts you like, man! What tastes good. If it tastes bad or makes you feel like barfing, spit it. If it smells bad, don't even bite into it.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 11:59:27 pm »
You eat whatever parts you like, man! What tastes good. If it tastes bad or makes you feel like barfing, spit it. If it smells bad, don't even bite into it.

You would eat the digestive tract too if it tasted alright?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 02:14:21 am »

yeah I would like to know that too.
I'm scared to even eat meat that came in touch with the digestive track of the animal because of the bacteria risk.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 02:19:23 am »

Yes, if... But it tastes awfull !
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk