Author Topic: How to tell if eggs are fertilized?  (Read 12595 times)

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
How to tell if eggs are fertilized?
« on: May 01, 2011, 10:41:37 am »
Hi lately I've been getting eggs from a local farmer. Some of the eggs have a orange color in the yolk.

The eggs are labeled as fertilized on their website, but how can I tell personally if the egg is fertilized or not? I read and saw pictures online about the white spot on the yolk is more circular and bigger, and looks like a bulls eye with a lighter circle around the white circle. . . and the unfertilized egg is less circular and smaller. On the pictures I can see the differences easily, but when I try to check if these eggs are fertilized..it's less easy for me to distinguish it. Plus I'm not sure if some are fertilized and maybe some aren't. Is that natural for some eggs to be unfertilized, even if there is a rooster around the egg laying hens?

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: How to tell if eggs are fertilized?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 11:29:14 am »
Try raising your own chickens or ducks.

In my experience, ducks are hard to fake at laying eggs and need male ducks.

You can also try incubating them and see how many hatch.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 12:39:46 pm »
Try raising your own chickens or ducks.

In my experience, ducks are hard to fake at laying eggs and need male ducks.

You can also try incubating them and see how many hatch.

I would raise them myself but i can't living in the suburbs, probably law ordinances against it or something.

They have been refrigerated so I don't think they would hatch after being cold stored in a fridge.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 12:47:59 pm »
I would raise them myself but i can't living in the suburbs, probably law ordinances against it or something.

They have been refrigerated so I don't think they would hatch after being cold stored in a fridge.

If you can consume your eggs in less than 2 weeks, you can safely not refrigerate them.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 01:18:40 pm »
If you can consume your eggs in less than 2 weeks, you can safely not refrigerate them.

Yeah, when I get them though they have already been refrigerated

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 02:14:43 pm »
Here are pics of 2 different eggs. Are either of the fertilized? They are supposed to be.

Also, I know that properly raised hens (in terms of diet ), should have deeper more orange colored yolks. I see this with only some of the eggs, other eggs (from the same source) seem more pale than even commercial eggs that are non organic. Is this natural variation healthy and can a pale colored yolk still be a healthy egg?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 03:08:18 pm »
If a rooster is kept with the laying hens, then I would consider the eggs likely to be fertilized.

If you were planning to hatch chicks, you would check the eggs.in front of a bright light (called candling) after a few days of incubation, to see if you can see the beginning of the umbilicus. The shell does not get cracked.

You can't do this if the egg has been gathered for sale - room temperature or refrigeration stops the growth process.

Yolk color and flavor are better with healthy hens, but there are still variations depending on breed, feed, etc.

I live in the city, but I have an egg lady who sells her own eggs. I've visited her little farm, about 20 miles from where I live. She commutes to the city, so I arrange to pick up my eggs here. I found her because she advertised on craigslist.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 03:48:39 pm »
Well, the website from the farmer lists the eggs as " free ranged and pastured, and fertile"
So I'm guessing if I ask the farmer they will tell me that the eggs are fertile. I don't want to ask them too many questions because, I've asked many questions, and this one lady who does the deliveries told me if I kept asking her questions she would stop selling me her animal products. I didn't even ask that many questions, but I'd rather keep her a source to get food than lose out on it, even though that's pretty messed up.
but the website lists the eggs as fertile, so asking the farmer probably isn't going to get me anywhere. i was wondering if theres a way to find out from the egg itself. reading online i read about some visual techniques to utilize to distinguish a fertilized egg from a non fertilized one.. . but i find the pictures online to be much more distinct than some of the eggs i've come across.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 04:44:11 pm »
If the yolk has a visible white dot, it is fertilized.
Yes, you have good eggs from this view.

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 01:16:28 am »
I have read online that even unfertilized eggs have white dots, just smaller, more solid ones.

But i even read some reports online of eggs looking fertilized with the white ring, bullseye, and there was no rooster in site....

Offline Coatue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 02:47:21 am »
Anybody know how to go about finding fertilized pastured eggs?

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 03:05:25 am »
Here, at my home-place!
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Coatue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 11:09:08 am »
Here, at my home-place!

Unfortunately  :P I am not going to France anytime soon though I lived right next door last year in Freiburg, Germany.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 11:30:29 am »
Anybody know how to go about finding fertilized pastured eggs?

I'm living in urban California, and I find good eggs for sale in health food stores, on craigslist and at farmer's markets. When I was living in rural areas, I asked around or looked for signs on mailboxes ("Eggs for Sale"). If you have a CSA (community-supported agriculture) in your area, you can ask the farmer if they know where to get eggs.

Basically, what I look for is a yard with hens running around, plus a rooster.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk