Author Topic: Weight training at home with a minimal setup  (Read 9455 times)

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
Weight training at home with a minimal setup
« on: May 05, 2011, 03:54:54 pm »
I'm getting a bit sick of training at the gym, and thinking of training at home with a minimal setup and gradually adding more.

This guy Pavel Tsatsouline pushed a workout around just 2 exercises deadlift and side press.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsfuk.tripod.com%2Freviews%2Fpavel_pttp.html&ei=H1TCTfiaJ46JhQe_sqytBQ&usg=AFQjCNGP9VeFIc8XXzJ2HumGx5QfToUpvQ

But that's his schtick and other people are not sure.

There is also this info here

http://stronglifts.com/strength-training-with-only-one-barbell/

Most people seem to recommend getting a squat rack at some point, and you can make your own with 4x4s in plastic buckets filled with concrete. And this guy has made his own dip station.

I was just wondering if anyone had experience with minimal equipment/just barbell workouts.

My goal is just to get as strong as possible at the moment. I would have thought I have to do a fair bit of volume at first as I'm far from massive.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 04:23:34 pm by Josh »

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Weight training at home with a minimal setup
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 04:05:03 pm »
homemade dip station from pvc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA9EhzdN1a4

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 04:27:26 pm »
I’d say for best results all you need is:

Barbell with 500lbs worth of plates
Squat rack (homemade)
Parallel bar dip station with steps for neg only dips (homemade)
Pull-op bar with steps for neg only chins (homemade)
Heavy belt to suspend weight from the waist for dips/chins
Step up block for calf raises

With this equipment you could do the following program which stimulates rapid growth in all muscular structures.

1 Full squats (till calfs hit hastrings)
2 Very heavy partial squats (don’t go deep)
3 Calf raises on step up block with heavy barbell across shoulders
4 Weighted pull up
5 Standing press
6 Bent over rows
7 Weighted dips
8 Stiff legged deadlift alternated with barbell shrugs
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 04:40:01 pm »
That's cool, but I don't know if it would be as easy as all that to make a dip station and pullup bar that can take large amounts of weight, might be looking at a power station.

I want to save money and time at the moment hence looking at more minimal for now. The squat rack is very possible at some point.

I'm just wondering what kind of results I could get if I just started off with a barbell for now. I also have a homemade sandbag, so thinking walking with a heavy weight or dragging it is quite paleo for the legs.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 04:48:05 pm »
If you know how to weld you can make a dip/pullop station for less tahn 50usd. Just buy some construction steel cheapast sizes you can get weld it together and paint very simple. With a proper structure you dont have to fear it not being able to handle the weight. could draw you a skets sometime.

Power stations are rip offs. If you cant't build one find yourself a nice tree with the right branches.
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 05:02:42 pm »
Nah, I don't know how to weld that's something for the future. I'm just thinking if I can get started even if it's not perfect it could be ok for now. Maybe I will try the pavel thing, and stuff like hack squats.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 05:40:01 pm »
Bet you can find someone who knows how. Or just make a pull up bar bolt it to a soilid wall you can buy everithing you need from a simpel construction shop. 2 gass pipe clamps, a 1inch thick walled steel gas-pipe and few large bolts. cut the pipe at the required lengt for the pull up bar and the remaining lengt into two equal pieces. Bolt the pull up bar in a door post, at a wal, in a tree whatever.

Make 4 supports using rocks, briks, concrete filled buckets whatever. And place the to pieces of pipe acros, this is you dip station. Use a chair for neg dips/pull-ups. Use a few briks as a calf raise step. If you arrange things right you can use the dip supports as a squat rack.
This isn't perfect but it will do the job nicely. Probably cost less than 20usd

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 08:43:28 pm »
I need my barbells, dumbbells and cables for what I do. Unless I could have all of that at home, I myself would not bother.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 09:16:49 pm »
cables are probably the easiest of all thing to make yourself at home. Just buy some pulley and rope/kabel. Use anything for weight like a bucket of water. Easily ajusted by putting in more/less water.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 03:35:51 am »
My gym is $25/month. I would rather pay that easily than make something, but that is just me! I can afford it.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 01:57:32 pm »
Mine is €55 a month and thats standard where I live. I can affort it but as soon as I have a house with enough space to fit in a home gym I will. Not just because of the €'s. My type of training requires me to move from exercise to exercise with as little rest as possible. So I go to a gym that has at least 3 of all machines and I go at times its quiet but still sometime I have to wait for a machine/barbell. That fucks my workout up to a degree. Training in a private gym would allow me to set up all my exercises with the right weight in advange and put them right next to each other in the right order. That way I could move from one exercise to the next with zero rest.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 02:13:15 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 01:59:57 pm »
It would cost a bit more where I live. It's not all about the money, it would be much better to train in my own space, when I want to without pumping music, no wait for equipment, I can do unconventional exercises for combat stuff etc.

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 12:56:40 pm »
You could get a body tower which lets you do pullups, chinups, dips, and knee ups with equipment like this

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Vision-PT600-Power-Tower/dp/B000M29CCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305435235&sr=8-1

In addition, you can do lunges, pushups(and the many variations), yoga, stretches, cardio, wall sits, hindu squats, one legged squats, deadlifts, etc.

You can wear a backpack and put some weight in it(eg textbooks), and do weighted pullups, dips.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 01:45:38 pm »
Thanks, but I'm more into lifting heavy weights. I'm going to do the 'power to the people' workout - what he says seems to make a lot of sense.

If I want to add more exercises in later, it's not too hard to make a squat rack or dip station.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk