Author Topic: Why are plant antioxidants/polyphenols being so overrated?  (Read 6360 times)

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
A few weeks ago I had a very bad experience with a little bit of grapefruit. I became immediately depressed and feel strange uncomfortable sensations on the sides of my throat. This feeling lasted about a day of two. I looked up grapefruit and a mention about naringin made me very curious. Some of you have probably heard about quercetin, naringin(grapefruit), rutin, etc. Well it turns out many of these so called beneficial compounds disrupt Cytochrome P450 enzymes which are responsible for steroid hormone metabolism.

Examples

CYP3 - Testosterone metabolism
CYP7 - Bile acid synthesis
CYP51 - Cholesterol biosynthesis

I would guess some compounds are more potent than others. I have been eating kiwi occasionally and it doesn't have such a negative effect. I have become more wary of plant foods as a result. I probably have some level of tolerance that I cannot exceed. Perhaps, I may do better without any plant phenols/sterols.

I had suspicions about plant polyphenols when I became aware of compounds such as tannins and phytic acid. Even tannins and phytic acid are technically antioxidants and we know that these are not good. It seems the term is being thrown around recklessly as a cheap advertising scheme and the public is not aware of the entire story.

Phytosterols probably affect the P450 complex also.
All I want is the truth... Just gimme some truth.
"I wanna be the minority."

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Why are plant antioxidants/polyphenols being so overrated?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 02:56:59 am »
You're probably right, but for people eating standard diets these things may be the best compromise to deal with free radicals etc.

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 03:21:38 am »
A side note:

When I was a very young toddler, I was hospitalized for a long period due to a very low platelet count. I have no idea how this could have happened. Maybe it is some genetic defect. Fortunately, I improved over time. I still recall bruising very easily during my early-mid childhood. Anyways, I was given a drug called Tamoxifen. I have no clue why after reading about it. My mother told me I immediately became unconscious; it gave her a scare. Tamoxifen affects CYP3A4 which is also affected by naringin in grapefruit juice. Very interesting....

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 07:10:22 pm »
    Isn't that drug for breast cancer?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 09:11:08 pm »
A side note:

When I was a very young toddler, I was hospitalized for a long period due to a very low platelet count. I have no idea how this could have happened. Maybe it is some genetic defect. Fortunately, I improved over time. I still recall bruising very easily during my early-mid childhood. Anyways, I was given a drug called Tamoxifen. I have no clue why after reading about it. My mother told me I immediately became unconscious; it gave her a scare. Tamoxifen affects CYP3A4 which is also affected by naringin in grapefruit juice. Very interesting....

All you needed was this: http://www.denguecure.com

and http://www.myhealthblog.org/2010/12/02/alkalize-quickly-how-to-make-raw-kamote-tops-juice-sweet-potato-tops/
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 09:12:33 pm »
I usually try to avoid bitter foods. Bitter tastes of poison to me, my taste buds are right.

Antioxidant plants like mustards, non spicy peppers, tomatoes, grapefruit(bitter) I avoid like the plague. Anything that makes me itch too. I just go with my body.

Meat is the safest bet.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 09:45:49 pm »
I was always a bit of a skeptic when hearing about how plant antioxidants could magically eliminate free radicals in the body without any side effect. It seems that such claims being made by the antioxidant alchemist are not being put in check by reality, and the idea that antioxidants are manna from above is not being seriously challenged. To the determent of people health, there are recommendations that people saturate themselves with a whole slew of plant extracts that have never been proven to be 100% save or effective in promoting good heath. The antioxidant charlatans are worse than the snake oil sales men of years past. At least snake oil had some beneficial properties and was considered safe, many of these concentrated plant based extracts and vitamin supplement are potentially harmful.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 09:46:20 pm »
I usually try to avoid bitter foods. Bitter tastes of poison to me, my taste buds are right.

Antioxidant plants like mustards, non spicy peppers, tomatoes, grapefruit(bitter) I avoid like the plague. Anything that makes me itch too. I just go with my body.

Meat is the safest bet.

Are both of us cursed with such sensitivities or are we actually blessed? XP It's so strange. I remember eating these foods without such extreme negative reactions, but now I absolutely cannot handle them. When I tried to start recovery, first by the WAP diet, I attempted to use spices to cook, and it always made me feel ill. Plant antioxidants/aromatic compounds are a big no for me generally; if I do decide to eat something like a cucumber, I peel the skin or layers at the top since that is where most of the plant defense compounds exist. Also, I'm allergic to pretty much everything a person can be allergic to, but I think this is a good thing since it's a strong incentive to stop eating neolithic food. However, I can still eat seafood/shellfish and egg yolk so I'm still happy.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 09:52:39 pm »
Are both of us cursed with such sensitivities or are we actually blessed? XP It's so strange. I remember eating these foods without such extreme negative reactions, but now I absolutely cannot handle them. When I tried to start recovery, first by the WAP diet, I attempted to use spices to cook, and it always made me feel ill. Plant antioxidants/aromatic compounds are a big no for me generally; if I do decide to eat something like a cucumber, I peel the skin or layers at the top since that is where most of the plant defense compounds exist. Also, I'm allergic to pretty much everything a person can be allergic to, but I think this is a good thing since it's a strong incentive to stop eating neolithic food. However, I can still eat seafood/shellfish and egg yolk so I'm still happy.  ;D ;D ;D

I know these sensitivities are a gift and a curse. We can't eat like everyone, but we aren't suffering from hidden sickness caused by these foods. I avoid anything seedlike even sprouted, I avoid fruits with seeds and a lot of fruits and veg (cucumbers too :< )

Basically meat is best for me, low carb is the way to go for me.

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 01:56:22 am »
I know these sensitivities are a gift and a curse. We can't eat like everyone, but we aren't suffering from hidden sickness caused by these foods. I avoid anything seedlike even sprouted, I avoid fruits with seeds and a lot of fruits and veg (cucumbers too :< )

Basically meat is best for me, low carb is the way to go for me.
Yeah, the seeds in the cucumbers have crossed my mind before, but I haven't noticed any negative effect. I guess it has something to do with the fact that they are bred to become less prominent. It's great for hydration; lots of K.

My principle is to try to limit food that isn't capable of mobility. I guess that's why shellfish causes allergies in some people.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 05:02:00 pm »
People eating lots of unstable unsaturated veggie oils needs lots of antioxidants. just eat saty fatty and forget about the anioxidant hype
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk