Author Topic: Anyone try P90X ?  (Read 15362 times)

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Anyone try P90X ?
« on: May 24, 2011, 12:09:04 am »
If so what did you find?

What results?

What good and bad side?
Cheers
Al

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone try P90X ?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 01:09:39 am »
Googled it to see what it is. The site says "Get absolutely ripped in 90 days. Guaranteed on your money back!".That sets of bullshit alarms in me.

The "science" beyond this P90x is constantly changing the exercises you work with. This variation will shock your muscles and produce results. I changed my workouts a lot in the past but found that I always come back to a very similar program to achieve progress. A good designed workout can serve you a long time. It will take time to find out what your body needs exactly but that exploration should be more focussed on rep ranges and trainings frequently than on the exercises. Every muscle in the body has an unique combination of fast twitch and slow twitch fibres and different fibres require different rep ranges/frequencies.

As for the exercises itself; There are only a limited number of maximum effective exercises too choose from. Exercises with the longest possible range off movement involving an as large as possible muscular mass. The order of the exercises is dictated by the size of the target muscles. Largest mass involving exercises should be done first.

Select the best exercises (depending on available equipment) per body part for a total of 12 (just started), 10 (intermediate) 8 (advanced) or 6 (near top of genetic limitations) exercises and you have a workout. Most people only need 1-2 workouts a week, if no progress is made train less.

All the variation you need can be achieved by doing a pre exhaust cycle for 1 body part every now and again.

Unless of course you wanted to try the nutrition plan?  :D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 01:26:39 am by HIT_it_RAW »
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 03:04:17 am »
I know a few people who tried it and got the results but there is a diet component, which I am not sure about as it refers to cooked foods. The people I know who are doing it were passing acquaintances and not raw foodees.

I am 58 and am in better shape than the average person but certainly not in top shape.
Cheers
Al

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 03:36:51 am »
Almost everyone gets good results in the beginning from any type of exercise program. All weight training is very intense compared to avarage every day activity. Ones the body has adapted to those initial demands not more and no different but intenser exercise is required. Growt stimulation is provided by intensity of exercise. Actual growth depends on adequate rest and nutrition so may differ a great deal from stimulated growth.

Those rules aply regardless of age. Better results from exercise is always achieved by training harder, not more or different. A change in program sometimes means you are training harder because you started training muscles you didn't train before. But that means that the previous program was not properly desinged since a proper training program targets all muscular mass.
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 04:07:28 am »
So specifically what would you suggest?
Cheers
Al

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 04:47:29 am »
Depends on your goals, available equipment and present condition. Assuming you would like to build overall strength and condition, have some experience with exercise and have access to a typical gym:

1 Leg extension
2 Squat/leg press (preferably squat)
3 Calf raises
4 Chins/pulldowns
5 Dips
6 Bent over rows
7 Standing press
8 Stiff legged dead lift
9 Biceps curl
10 Triceps extension dumbbell

Every exercise done to momentary muscular failure between the 8-10th rep for 1 set. As little rest between exercises as possible. Training 1 or 2 x per week. In the beginning you won't be able to go from exercise to exercise without rest but move as quick as possible. Start the workout with 1 light set of squats to warm op the lower body. Than do ex 1-3. After that 1 light warm up set chins to warm up the upper body. Finish the program.

Focus on your breathing and move slow and controlled. Jerking and throwing the weight generates high impact forces and therefore injuries. 4 sec pos, 2 sec static, 4 sec neg. Continue till you can no longer complete the movement in good form than keep trying as hard as you can for at least 5 sec than slowly lower weight.

As you grow stronger and progress slows down/stops you should first reduce frequency to 1 x per week and later reduce to 8 exercises. Try to improve (in good form) every single workout. Some cardio can be done but this type of training, when done properly, builds cardiovascular condition very fast without special cardio.

Your usual rpd diet is probably best. You might ad some high sugar fruits 1-2 hrs before working out so you can burn carbs during the workout.

Offline Boomshaker

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 07:54:12 pm »
Do http://stronglifts.com/ You'll be surprised with what you get.

PX90 is mainstream bullshit.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 08:11:23 pm »
Do http://stronglifts.com/ You'll be surprised with what you get.

PX90 is mainstream bullshit.
as is stronglifts. 5 sets is so unnessecary. One set if executed to failure will trigger growth. A second(3th 4th etc) set will not trigger more groth but will place extra demands on the recovery system.

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 04:39:06 am »
I got p90x as a gift so I did it, but it took me about 110 days to finish it since I skipped some days.

I got good results . The program is good, solid, and thorough in many different areas of fitness including resistance training(weights), cardio, yoga, stretching, boxing-type workout, and calisthetics.

The program is good because it keeps you motivated to work out. You can get similar results without doing the program. heck you can even do the exact program without watching the tapes. But I believe it's main attribute is to keep people motivated.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 06:53:43 am »
What equipment did you need?
Cheers
Al

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 02:28:03 pm »
I have been considering trying out an exercise regiment in order to attain peek physical condition for a possible upcoming documentary shoot. I am already in fairly good shape , but I am considering taking things to the next level in order to show off what this diet can do. I have noticed that I have an increased endurance and seem to have more motivation to work out so I want to put my new found vitality to good use and perhaps with the right exercise program I could regain the freaky strength that I once had when I was right out of high school. I lifted weights in high school and when I was 19 years old I was 180 pounds and could bench 240 and do 30 pull ups and over a hundred consecutive push ups, but when I got sick I lost all my strength. Now it seems that I am getting close to being able to regain the strength and fitness of my glory days.

I am not exactly sure how long it will be before they want to do another filming, but it could be around three months or so, and I would like to be ripped and radiating with an impressive physical condition , so as to make the best impression possible.

I am actually thinking about training with my old "truth in combat" performance edge instructor and I think they have a whole gym that they use for cross training.

I am looking for a program to motivate me to set realistic goals and would consider any suggestions.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 03:05:28 pm by sabertooth »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Boomshaker

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 03:50:02 pm »
as is stronglifts. 5 sets is so unnessecary. One set if executed to failure will trigger growth. A second(3th 4th etc) set will not trigger more groth but will place extra demands on the recovery system.

I have nothing to say to you if you just saw 5x5 and say bla bla bla. You clearly dont know how 1RM works and what different set and reps scheemes have effect on body. Have you seen any top powerlifters,strongmans or bodybuilders do reps to failure in their training (sparsely doesn't count)? This is not stronglifts method.  Go do more reaserch. I recomend you check on Practical Programing by Mark Rippetoe.

Offline Boomshaker

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 03:54:56 pm »
I have been considering trying out an exercise regiment in order to attain peek physical condition for a possible upcoming documentary shoot. I am already in fairly good shape , but I am considering taking things to the next level in order to show off what this diet can do. I have noticed that I have an increased endurance and seem to have more motivation to work out so I want to put my new found vitality to good use and perhaps with the right exercise program I could regain the freaky strength that I once had when I was right out of high school. I lifted weights in high school and when I was 19 years old I was 180 pounds and could bench 240 and do 30 pull ups and over a hundred consecutive push ups, but when I got sick I lost all my strength. Now it seems that I am getting close to being able to regain the strength and fitness of my glory days.

I am not exactly sure how long it will be before they want to do another filming, but it could be around three months or so, and I would like to be ripped and radiating with an impressive physical condition , so as to make the best impression possible.

I am actually thinking about training with my old "truth in combat" performance edge instructor and I think they have a whole gym that they use for cross training.

I am looking for a program to motivate me to set realistic goals and would consider any suggestions.

Stronglifts is just for you. Ha, I beg you go check what results those guys got in three months. I don't know your current phsysical performance but if you follow the method you can easily Squat over 200 pounds in that time, maybe close to 300.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 01:36:50 am »
Regarding the food component, any suggestions? I currently am raw primal. Dairy and meat and vege and honey and eggs.

My goal is not to get ripped.

My goal is to try a different workout.

Over the years I have gone through various things which I completely enjoyed, but I like variation. I find doing the same thing endlessly, is endlessly boring and hurts after awhile with the same muscles geting activated.

There is no muscle machines in my future.
Cheers
Al

Offline Justin

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 10:37:11 am »
Regarding the food component, any suggestions? I currently am raw primal. Dairy and meat and vege and honey and eggs.

My goal is not to get ripped.

My goal is to try a different workout.

Over the years I have gone through various things which I completely enjoyed, but I like variation. I find doing the same thing endlessly, is endlessly boring and hurts after awhile with the same muscles geting activated.

There is no muscle machines in my future.

I understand how routines can get boring very quickly. I was one to change routines every month or even every couple of weeks during my early and intermediate years which didn't do anything beneficial for me. The longest routine that I've stuck with now for the past year and a half has kept me interested, which surprises me as I get bored very quickly (with everything). I stick to heavy compounds, I do the same lifts 3 x a week, but the goal is to add weight and set new personal records which keeps me entertained. Just a suggestion. Takes a great deal of experimentation. I will add that in my observations, friends, family, forum posters, that a lot of people typically do very well with heavy compound lifts focusing on form and full range of movement activating total body musculature per workout.
"You can train long or you can train hard, but you can't do both." -Arthur Jones.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 10:57:39 am »
I haven't but this might work
Perfect Pushup

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 02:06:15 pm »
 ;D 

Funny.
"The strong white teeth sank into the raw and dripping flesh in apparent relish of the meal, but Clayton could not bring himself to share the uncooked meat with his strange host; instead he watched him, and presently there dawned upon him the conviction that this was Tarzan of the Apes....." - Edgar Rice Burroughs, 'Tarzan of the Apes'

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 09:34:51 am »
I was curious about the recovery drink that they talk about so I found a forum  where someone explained that it is about 10% glucose (corn sugar) and 90% whey. So I made some.

My vision seems to have been affected by it. I have noticed that I cannot see as well today, after drinking it twice after working out.

Does not surprise me.
Cheers
Al

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 10:39:13 pm »
Whey is unnecessary garbage compared to raw meat. As long as you are consuming raw animal flesh, and staying hydrated your body should have what it needs to recover from working out.

When I am worn out after a long day of digging ditches or what not, I will drink a couple of eggs with some lemon water, and a splash of blood if I have it on hand.

There are better raw paleo alternatives for post workout recovery.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 08:36:16 am »
What is the whey made from? Is it from soy?
Cheers
Al

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 02:41:35 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whey

Its made from curdled milk

Offline hilton

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 07:54:45 pm »
I know a lot of overweight and Fatty people that just love their lives after doing P90X. you feel better by 200%.P90X is a simple 90 day program that gets anyone who can stick to the program in shape.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 11:00:37 pm »
Although I am not in that category, I like the exercise. It is vigorous, varied and the guy teaching is a good laugh.

I am now in week 2
Cheers
Al

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk