Author Topic: "Are You Really Gonna Eat that Raw?"  (Read 15680 times)

Offline Amris

• Egg Thief
  • Rising From the Ashes
    • View Profile
"Are You Really Gonna Eat that Raw?"
« on: May 28, 2011, 12:03:49 am »
So, I started a raw paleo diet. Yesterday, pretty much. Although I managed to eat some almost-but-not-quite raw bison steak the other day. It was hard, but I did eat it. It was a small amount, and I got through it.

Today, second strong day of being on the raw sort of paleo diet, I'm preparing to eat my first really, completely, totally raw meat. I've put honey and some cream with it to try to entice myself, but the psychological block is strong. I'm procrastinating by writing about it first... it's raw chicken, because that's what I've got.

Honey was a good idea, because I'm a real "sweet tooth" person.

I'm not liking the texture very much. Feeling a little queasy. It's the thought that counts, you know. My mind is screaming  -v !!

LOL, I wonder how long it will be before I quit reacting this way.

Three bites and my stomach is in knots. This is definitely not something I'm taking to. Maybe I'll put it into the mixer and blend it for drinking instead...

Whew, who knew it would be so hard!
The thought manifests as the word; The word manifests as the deed; The deed develops into habit; And habit hardens into character; So watch the thought and its ways with care, And let it spring from love Born out of concern for all beings...

As the shadow follows the body, as we think, so we become.

The Dhammapada

Offline Amris

• Egg Thief
  • Rising From the Ashes
    • View Profile
Re: "Are You Really Gonna Eat that Raw?"
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 12:18:05 am »
Okay, so I mixed it in a food processor, and it got kind of creamy. I put it on some bread, and I'm chowing down. I'll have to eat more of it later. I think it's the texture that was really, really messing with me. But the problem here is that there isn't really all that much on the bread. Next time, I think I may well do it as some kind of pate. I know A. V. doesn't want us to use salt, but I think for now I'll use some Bragg's to get myself past the psychological hump.

It's not as easy to get past that conditioning as one might think.
The thought manifests as the word; The word manifests as the deed; The deed develops into habit; And habit hardens into character; So watch the thought and its ways with care, And let it spring from love Born out of concern for all beings...

The Dhammapada

Offline p0wer

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 01:56:50 am »
Seriously, honey and meat? Very bad idea if you ask me :D I wouldn't put anything on it, just eat it as it is. Blending (or whatever that food processor is doing) also doesn't sound like a good idea.

Anyway don't worry, it takes some time for the brain and taste to get used to raw stuff. After a while you'll be craving it.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 04:44:54 am »
Honey and meat? Are you a pervert or something?xD                                                                            
You gotta practice intermittent fasting and mind control.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 05:04:42 am by achillezzz »

CitrusHigh

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 05:35:16 am »
haha ignore the cheerleaders, do whatever you gotta do to get it in to ya! Later, when you see that you didn't die from it, you can be more confident!

It may help to bulldoze your pychological barriers with all the reasons why raw meat is safe and healthy from animals eating their natural diets...I'll start you off....

-You have a whole forum of people who live this way each day. Meaning that if germ theory were true, they would be improbably lucky 2-3 times or more each day, 365 days per year, for however long they've each been doing it, for probably a collective time period of more than 100 years.
-We are the ONLY creatures on the planet that cook their food. We are also the ones who experience the most degenerative and infectious disease symptoms.
-Raw meat is full of light energy (biophotons), just like raw plants are. When cooked that light energy is dispersed and wasted.
-Only seldom on here do you hear about parasite issues or sickness, and typically it is because of some other vices, unhealthy habits or because they panicked at the first sign of problems and when wimpering back to conventional poiso- woops I mean 'medicine'! haha
-Your aversion to raw meats is 100% learned behaviour, most infants, when offered raw meats, will consume them greedily, especially the ones that best suit their physiological needs at the time.

Ok, that was a good start, now you can do some more rationalizing on your own! Think hunter gatherers, think eskimos, think Aajonus, think common sense.

Good luck!

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 05:50:11 am »
Amris,
Take it slow.  You have plenty of time.  Make small changes first like removing the really bad things from your diet like soda, candy, etc.  Then move on and slowly remove grains, then beans and legumes, etc.  Do things one step at a time.  When you get to the point where you are eating the kind of foods you think are best and removed those that are worst, then slowly start cooking them less and less.  Over time you'll get used to the new textures and flavors and will ultimately start to prefer them - but it does take time - maybe several years.  So what?  You are doing this for you and if you want to be successful you have to do it in a way that you can sustain it or you will quickly give up.

When I started it took me almost a year before I got to the point where I was eating just meat, green vegetables, salads, and a bit of fruit.  At this point the meat and veggies were mostly cooked.  Over the next year I got so I was eating my veggies raw and my meat at medium rare.  It wasn't until almost 3 years into changing my diet from SAD to Paleo that I took the step to convert to raw meat and even that transition took several months before I was fully comfortable with it.  Think of it as a journey and each small step you take will improve you health.  You can stop at any point along the way or even move backwards if this is what you feel is right.  

You ultimately need to do what works for you, not what others think is right.  From what you have written so far, cold turkey isn't working.  Time to rethink your goal and your strategy to attain it.

Lex

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 07:27:12 am »
FWIW, I've not even tried raw chicken yet, but it's on my list after i try more organ meats.

i used sea salt in the beginning to help with the texture, then i dropped the sea salt and would put my meat in a dehydrator for a short time.  a few months in, and eating raw was just normal!.. no texture-disguising techniques needed :D.. well, that's for red meat.  as i said, i have yet to try chicken.

like lex said, it's YOUR journey!... have fun!!

Offline p0wer

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 07:39:56 am »
Alternatively I'd suggest you start with raw fish. Raw salmon for example (especially when fresh and hasn't been frozen before) is delicious! Even my girlfriend who's afraid of bacteria, worms, etc. in raw animal stuff likes salmon. After some time you can start slowly transitioning to meat.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 09:29:29 am »
It helps when you are really very hungry.

And follow the guide for newbies how to adjust, I did that and it helped me.

And if you are trying to overcome grave illness, it's a no brainer.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 09:40:30 pm »
    I dislike grainfed chicken, the smell.  Honey helps me.  A lot of people make chicken into ceviche or other raw chicken salad based in sour cream (I think), to start with tomato or avocado.  I've never had it as a pudding or smoothie, but I know some women who do and like it very much.  They use either eggs, milk, lemon and or vanilla to help it along.  They say the chicken is a good thickener.  I don't know the recipes as I eat mine plain or with butter.  It does get better.  I couldn't stand the texture or smell of chicken at first either.  It's worth it.  I feel really healthy eating chicken (only raw never been frozen).  I'm feeling more and more that chicken is more sensitive than beef or fish to freezing.  I think Aajonus's RFLWD has chicken soup recipes in it.  Again, I go more for the info than fancy, complicated or time consuming ways to prepare the food.  I'm done with that.  Did that for decades when I was non meat.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

CitrusHigh

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 10:01:49 pm »
Chicken, though I don't have it too often because truly free range chicken is an arm and a leg, is one of my faves. I like the saltiness of the meat, especially if it's held in the mouth a while and is room temp or warmer to begin with. Pheasant, turkey and grouse as well, all equally delicious with different nuances. Of course the wild birds a bit more flavorful, but our free range roosters which we butcher to keep them from ganging up on the hens are for all intents and purposes just about as wild in diet as pheasant. I like to take a hunk of breast meat and suck on it like a popsicle almost (usually I do this when alone, most people are repulsed by such behaviour!) and that, I think, allows the saliva to work on it and open up the flavors a bit. But oh my, if you can ever get raw liver out of a game bird that has just been shot moments before, what a delicacy! Along the lines of uni, except that it's warm and delicate, and complex and creamy, mMmmM(without ANY funkiness). Like you said RawZi, freshness is key, and the fresherer the betterer!

Offline Amris

• Egg Thief
  • Rising From the Ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 06:05:55 am »
Thanks everyone for all the thoughts and encouragement. I'm not giving up, but I can't lie. I couldn't get much of the chicken down. I do have some salmon in there, I'm going to try that probably today or tomorrow. I've been raw otherwise, except I had a bit of cooked turkey for lunch as I was out at my MIL's house.

I'm nowhere near ready to start telling them, "I'll have mine raw, kkthx!"  -d

But I'm definitely going to make this work. It may take me a while, though, lol. Not so easy to get past 39 years of conditioning.

The Dhammapada

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 08:22:12 am »
View enough of the videos on youtube of us eating raw meats to keep you company while you eat.
Eating is a social thing.
Try going to a Japanese restaurant and see people enjoy various sashimi.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 10:24:44 am »
WOW! All this talk about raw chicken made me go out and buy some, and...

I really like it! I ate it with a knife and fork, slicing it like sashimi. The texture reminds me of good sashimi, the flavor is mild. The price for organic skinless, boneless breast is way high, but less than half the price of salmon. I was expecting slime, but No! it's very palatable, once I got over the mental block.

This forum is so helpful.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 01:53:02 pm »
I don't know what kind of meat you are getting but I highly suggest getting the best quality possible.  What I mean by that is fresh grassfed beef.  I will also say the mental barrier of eating raw meat takes time to get across.  Maybe you only eat a few bites the first day.  Maybe you gag.  But if you continue to eat this way you will get used to it.  I was gaging on raw sashimi grade yellowfin tuna in march this year.  That was my first raw meat ever.  Now, just this weekend (not 3 months later) I found myself enjoying the taste of fresh grassfed beef.  (And now of course I find many raw seafoods appetizing)  Find a meat (high quality) that works for you and take it one day at a time.
"The strong white teeth sank into the raw and dripping flesh in apparent relish of the meal, but Clayton could not bring himself to share the uncooked meat with his strange host; instead he watched him, and presently there dawned upon him the conviction that this was Tarzan of the Apes....." - Edgar Rice Burroughs, 'Tarzan of the Apes'

Offline Amris

• Egg Thief
  • Rising From the Ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 09:45:01 am »
Alright. I did eat some raw chicken. I cannot lie, I cheated, though. I went SAD and made a chicken salad sandwhich and made it half with regular chicken and half with raw.

It was pretty tasty, actually...  8)

The Dhammapada

CitrusHigh

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 10:12:15 am »
I wouldn't consider that cheating and definitely not sad...unless you added doritos and washed down with a coca cola! hahaa!

Offline Amris

• Egg Thief
  • Rising From the Ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 10:16:42 am »
Nah, it's homemade bread from locally-grown organic wheat flour. But I did use mayo and some pickles (my own pickles, brined, not heated, at least). The mayo and the cooked chicken are obviously not quite within the boundaries, but getting myself to eat the raw meat is very hard.

The Dhammapada

CitrusHigh

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 10:34:36 am »
Think about how amazing it is that you're eating even one bite of raw chicken?!?!?! Think about the 99% or more of people out there who would consider that like dosing yourself with salmonella! Don't focus on what you think could be improved, instead, congratulate yourself for being braver than 99% of the ignorants out there! You are a very special, amazing person Amris, keep up the great work!

Offline Amris

• Egg Thief
  • Rising From the Ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 10:45:45 am »
You've definitely got a point, thank you. <3

It's been a real challenge to even get it in me, so I'll take your advice and be a little easier on myself about it.

Surprisingly, I couldn't really tell the difference from "normal" chicken salad sandwich. So I think I can keep adding a bit more each day as I eat it... build up more raw versus cooked chicken in it.

I'm still afraid of just eating it, just like that, though.

But I figure getting some in me is a good first step. I didn't even gag once, which impressed me because I know the power of my mind to control my responses.

Thanks again!!

The Dhammapada

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2011, 10:58:55 am »
I did raw chicken experiments months ago and didn't really like it.

Early this year I had chicken cravings... dreams.

I bought roast chicken and ate it and was just not happy about it.

So I bought the best organic raw chicken I could find and that satisfied my cravings.

That was months ago and lately I don't look for chicken.

Offline Amris

• Egg Thief
  • Rising From the Ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2011, 11:13:58 am »
I am kind of focused on chicken because AV recommends it for a certain issue I am experiencing. Oddly, I don't know if it's the tiny bits of chicken I've gotten or the general increase in healthy raw fats, but I've noticed improvement already.

Yay!  :D

The Dhammapada

Offline Amris

• Egg Thief
  • Rising From the Ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 11:25:50 pm »
My 4 year old is eating that chicken salad like it's going out of style!  :o

I can't keep it in the fridge, and she has no idea it's any different from our usual chicken salad sandwiches...

The Dhammapada

Offline Amris

• Egg Thief
  • Rising From the Ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 12:52:51 am »
I ate a small amount of raw salmon in a sandwich today. Granted, it wasn't much, but I ate it!

My daughter has suddenly stopped eating the chicken sandwiches. I know she can't tell there's raw chicken in it.... she just doesn't want it and can't explain why.

Maybe the raw chicken is bothering her?  ???

The Dhammapada

CitrusHigh

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 01:23:52 am »
That sounds like instincto eating to me! If instincto theory is correct, appetite for certain foods can be lost in as little as one bite to the next, or over just a few bites.

That's totally fine, don't force her, instead, offer her other foods, like your raw salmon, hidden if necessary until you find what her body is in need of. Kids' instincts are much more intact because they haven't had decades of 'reason' and 'logic' trampling on it. That is a gift, and you can learn from her!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk