Author Topic: Arizona "Fat" tax  (Read 2908 times)

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Cheers
Al

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Arizona "Fat" tax
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 10:32:36 am »
I posted about this before, I think. There was a similiar Austrian obesity tax mentioned in the papers.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 10:32:41 pm »
Interesting thought. Not sure how practical.

I recall a number of years ago that I heard that some hospitals in New Zealand would charge patrons who smoked the usual cost for the medical care. This is in a country where medical care is free. Not sure if this is true or not.....
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 12:42:49 am »
I think that a more practical way of starting in on the problem would be to tax soft drinks and general junk food like anything that comes isn a bag. This could be heavily taxed the way alcohol and cigarettes are taxed in Canada.
Cheers
Al

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 02:15:06 am »
LMFAOOOOO!@!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 02:54:53 am »
Just another way to raise funds for the gluttonment.
I live in Arizona. If I become aware of any updates, I will post them.
Have not heard anything regarding this until now though.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 07:13:55 am »
I think that a more practical way of starting in on the problem would be to tax soft drinks and general junk food like anything that comes in a bag. This could be heavily taxed the way alcohol and cigarettes are taxed in Canada.

There are always unintended consequences of social engineering of this type.  When a tax like this is imposed, it won't be long before the PETA crowd will be calling for the taxing of all animal products.  Remember, politicians have been sold the idea that that red meat, eggs, and fat (except for all that wonderful and beneficial cholesterol free vegetable oil) poses unacceptable health risks and should, at the very least, bear health warnings.  How long before the food you think is manna from heaven is heavily taxed by the benevolent government in a compassionate effort to save you from yourself.

You may think that facts speak for themselves, but politicians have never let facts get in the way of trying to force us all to fall in step with THEIR cherished beliefs of what's good for us.  I have no interest in compelling others to follow my lifestyle and I resent any attempt to force me to live up to some else's ideals. No matter how altruistic or compassionate they may be, in the end it all boils down to servitude.

I want no part in trying to force a particular lifestyle on others.  If I've learned anything in 60 years, it's that much of what I believe to be true is probably wrong.  Though I'm not a fan of soft drinks and potato chips, I'll not be cheering a tax on them, or any other food.

Lex 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk