Author Topic: Sally's food-fitness journal  (Read 4777 times)

Offline Sally S.

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Sally's food-fitness journal
« on: June 10, 2011, 03:17:40 am »
This is my day 2 on all raw and so far so good, thanks to this forum.  Yesterday was raw egg yolks, raw oysters and wild salmon, oranges and avocado.  Today was more egg yolks and un trimmed grass fed sirloin.  So far so good. Oysters are a given, I will eat them all season long.  I really loved the raw salmon and the raw sirloin.  The sirloin is not tough (as it would be if I cooked it.) and has a wonderful taste/texture. (I am quite afraid of raw chicken, thanks to society, so I can't even think about it yet, oh and pork, even though I have my own pasture raised piggy in the deep freeze.)

We started the non raw paleo diet last January b/c of my daughter's health issues.  Before that it was Weston A. Price.  I was raised ovolacto vegetarian, going vegan for a while...which I hated.  I was shocked that my daughter's plumnologist and clinical dietitian strongly recommended the paleo diet. Doctors??  I was all for it as soon as I understood what the premis was about.  Stumbled on raw paleo just a few days ago and the rest is history.

I live on a farm, so fitness is in the form of farm work, daily long walks and weekend long hikes in the Olympic foothills.  Example, yesterday I carried four 80 pound bags of horse food from the car into the barn (up 4 steps).  I walked the perimeter of the electric fence...we live on a huge hill.  Fed and cleaned up after 4 horses, 3 sheep, 2 St. Bernards, the ducks and chickens.  I cleaned out one of the duck ponds using a bucket and a hose.  The buckets of dirty water went to my veggie garden about 20 feet away.  Whew!  Then I caught my horse and got him ready to ride.  I ride him bareback a lot, it makes for a great core and leg workout.  IMO...at least that is how I see it.  ;)  I occasionally have to wrestle sheep and chase someone who got loose.  Almost everyday after everyone is settled down, I take a 4 mile walk (hilly) to the lake and back.

I look forward to learning more and I have a ton of questions as you can imagine.  I''m trying to read as much as I can before I ask too many "already been answered a million times" questions. :)

How do I post pictures?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 02:36:08 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline Amris

• Egg Thief
  • Rising From the Ashes
    • View Profile
Re: Sally's food-fitness jorunal
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 07:43:09 am »
To post a picture, click on "Additional Options..." and a menu appears. Use the "attach" feature.

As I did to attach the below image.
The thought manifests as the word; The word manifests as the deed; The deed develops into habit; And habit hardens into character; So watch the thought and its ways with care, And let it spring from love Born out of concern for all beings...

As the shadow follows the body, as we think, so we become.

The Dhammapada

Offline Sally S.

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 08:41:33 am »
Thanks, I get it now.   

Though it seems my photos are too big.  :(

Offline Sally S.

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 08:38:10 am »
Today's meals consisted of breakfast: raw jerky YUM!, Lunch: a few ounces of raw leg of lamb steak NOT BAD!, marinated (in olive oil) artichoke hearts, an apple, Dinner: two types of sashimi: tuna and yellow fin, raw daikon radish salad (daikon radish shredded up with some coconut amino acids and wasabi) and celery tops.  I also had some coconut oil, lemon water and a bit of homemade kombucha.

Offline Sally S.

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 07:10:16 am »
This weekend, I quit coffee and alcohol consumption 100%.    ;D  WOOT!!!

Breakfast/lunch combo...small (dairy-free) pesto (basil, olive oil, pine nuts) and water cress salad with 2 raw egg yolks on top. 

(I usually don't have much of an appetite by the way, I don't know how you guys eat up to 1-2 pounds of raw meat a day!!  A few ounces is enough for me, even if it is all I'm having for the meal.)

1 Avocado and a handful of grapes

Dinner plans: veggie soup with my handmade WAP style bone broth.  (I'm still cleaning out all the veggies (onions, cabbage, bell peppers, squashes, garlic etc.) in my fridge and I have quarts of frozen homemade broths in the freezer.)

I need to run to the butcher, I'm out of edibly-raw meats.
Questions:
1. I've been reading the stickys for the answer to why no root veggies?  Can someone point me in the right direction?  Is it not something cavefolks would have eaten and/or is it that they aren't easily digestible? 
2. It sems most of my butcher's grass fed meats are frozen, how bad is that? 
Thanks!

Heading out for my daily 4 mile walk.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 02:42:21 pm »
2. It sems most of my butcher's grass fed meats are frozen, how bad is that? 
Thanks!
not so bad i think. all my meat is frozen never noticed any ill effects.
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline p0wer

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 05:57:49 pm »
If it's frozen you can't really notice if there's some problems with it, e.g. it might be too old or have a bad smell or smth. But if you don't buy too much I guess it wouldn't be a problem if it turns out it's bad when you unfrozen it.

Offline Sally S.

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 02:11:54 am »
Ok, thanks. :)

I trust the source, so far so good. I've been dealing with this butcher for a few years...they are even the ones that butchered my own pasture raised pig. 

To get fresh raw grass fed meats, I have to drive quite a ways and pay a toll.  So it is about a once a week trip when I have to do a few other things in the city.  My fish monger is just a few miles away thankfully.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk