Author Topic: Is there a Paleo solution to this environmental problem?  (Read 5611 times)

Offline joejac

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Is there a Paleo solution to this environmental problem?
« on: June 13, 2011, 12:00:18 am »
Hello,

This link shows the environmental conditions of this city, I live temporarily here.

1.- How can I deal with outdoors humidity?, today is about 100%.

I am pretty sure the Paleo inhabitants of this place had this problem also.

Are some RP eaters living in similar places, can you share your experience and solutions please?

Thanks and regards
José
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 12:05:25 am by joejac »

Offline The King of Currumpaw

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a Paleo solution to this environmental problem?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 10:48:19 am »
Destroy the city.
Animal banished from life, man's condition is tragic, for he no longer finds fulfillment in life's simple values. For animals, life is all there is; for man, life is a question mark. An irreversible question mark, for man has never found, nor will ever find, any answers. Life not only has no meaning; it can never have one.
— E.M. Cioran

Some dogs submit easily to the leash. Others remember they are wolves.

http://awolfintheheart.tumblr.com/

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 11:23:11 am »
The paleo solution is to MOVE OUT.
Move, move, move.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 01:36:49 pm »
Go back to the wild. Leave evil city/society like GS said.

Cody Lundin has been living in the desert of Arizona and has been teaching a survival school for 20 years. He's on Dual Survival Discovery Channel with Dave Canterbury TV Show too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TQgRO6a-8w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWpSVNrt0LU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxgKvTlr7m4

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 05:49:25 am »
Joe - I lived in a place that had 100% humidity almost all year and I loved it. My skin was always moisturized.  ;)  I also lived in Seville and visited where you are in the North and traveled along the coast of Portugal on bike during the summer so I know what you are referring to.

The key is to adapt your eating and drinking style to the place where you live. I found that it was very important to drink enough water. Where you are is not nearly as hot as the areas where I lived in 100 % humidity so it will be easier on you. But if you do get hot there is nothing like certain fruits to cool you. I live in Austin Texas now and when the intense humidity and heat hit in summer I can be outside in the August sun gardening all day when everyone else is hiding under a rock because during those time I make frozen smoothies and eat watermelon - both of which bring your body temperature down dramatically and make the heat, sun and humidity actually feel good. You must re-mineralize though. I find that the right salt can make all the difference. I use iced peppermint and hibiscus as well. Very cooling to the system.

Meat is usually warming and fruit is cooling. Fruitarians and vegans can have a horrible time in winter and need to add all sorts of warming foods to be able to survive. It's no coincidence that summer is when fruits are most available! 

If fruits don't work for you at least the peppermint and the hibiscus teas might?

Embrace the humidity and you could use it as a way to sweat out impurities of living in a city. Remember the electrolytes. There are many ways to balance these. I eat lots of seaweed when out in the humidity to replenish. If it's cold and damp it's actually harder on the system. Then you need foods to help strengthen your lungs and warm you while drying at the same time. For when I've lived in such places I found ginger to be a great ally. Ginger dries and warms and is great for the lungs and the digestion - which can have a harder time in cold/damp weather. There are other firey drying herbs and foods too.

But before I make more suggestions - are you feeling hot or cold along with the damp?

Offline janjan23

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 06:35:14 pm »
make the cities a forest again :)

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 01:20:02 am »
Being new to Paleo - this is a serious question:

Are Paleos against cities and humid climates? I like living on the outskirt of a city and going out to the country.... but I love having easy access to cultural events and the vibe of a city. I like both the country and the city. I also love the higher humidity climates.

Do y'all only like living in the country?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 04:20:32 am »
I'm not sure there is a "you all" when it comes to paleo eating. Urban vs wilderness probably makes little difference in the braod sense of biological nutritional needs. Of course, I'm not commenting here on other biological needs, such as clean air. I live in the San Francisco Bay area now, drive to work, get my food in stores.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 07:39:46 am »
Living in Texas - Y'all is generally used to refer to the folks that I'm actually talking to (second person plural). Maybe what I should have asked is if wanting to get back to living in the the wilderness is a general desire in the group or just the folks that posted already?

Paleo is more than just diet PaleoPhil has told me.

Eve - do you like living in San Francisco? Would you rather be living somewhere, somehow else?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 07:51:41 am »
True that: there is more to Paleo than diet. One of the Paleo elements for me is adaptation. Another is simplicity of possessions.

I am very content with the SF Bay area. Mostly, this contentment arises from a happy home life and suitable employment. Oh yeah, not to mention, the weather can't be beat!
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 02:43:27 am »
Being new to Paleo - this is a serious question:

Are Paleos against cities and humid climates? I like living on the outskirt of a city and going out to the country.... but I love having easy access to cultural events and the vibe of a city. I like both the country and the city. I also love the higher humidity climates.

Do y'all only like living in the country?

I would say one could easily get that impression from alot of the posts around these parts. At least the city thing (anti-culture)...not sure about climates.

Personally I don't notice heat or humidity unless its well over 100 deg. I haven't turned a fan on or anything this year.

It bothers me when discussions are about how dumb/wrong society is and so forth but then I have no nostalgia for sitting on porches after a hard day of tending cattle or something or even living full time off the land if that was even possible. I've lived on farms/woods and its not for me. Theres the harshness element which is something, but to me minor in comparison to the lack of things to do/lack of things that make wanting to be healthy worthwhile - so to speak. These have everything to do with humanities' amazing evolving positives in lieu of its mistakes.

I guess ideally if I had money I'd like a place in New York for the spring and fall, LA for the winter months..and some kind of summer and other vacation home that was a little more rustic where I could play in the dirt and kill things. At some point in my older years (provided the landscape isn't drastically dissimilar) I might like to have more of a Ted Nugent lifestyle, be gathering most of my own food and meditating and shooting guns and whatnot. At this point obviously cities have the highest concentration of like minded weirdos and intellectual and artistic activity and thats far more interesting/life-affirming to me than how unnatural it is.

Its occurred to me that being spoiled by our unnatural environments is one way ironically people manage to say healthy. Its true that people are out of shape because they arn't involved in the regular activity that would correspond with nature..but that activity also has a price in wear and tear..and was downright dangerous. Although its unsustainable, on an individual level for those motivated to make the right decisions...the current way of being able to easily acquire food per efforts as well as live, fornicate, and exercise at one's own will..actually seems to go along way to increasing health more than the limited exposure to various experiences in what nature provides.

Of course raising your own food is a great step/important for progress but in honesty but I probably wouldn't be doing that to a large degree right now no matter where I was living, so i'd rather be included in what the city has to offer. I appreciate the farmers I deal with regularly but I wouldn't want to hang with them. :)

« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:04:19 am by KD »

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 10:07:19 am »
I'm glad you're here KD or I might feel very lonely not being interested in roughing it in the wild.  :-*

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk