Author Topic: MBTI  (Read 6107 times)

Offline stevesurv

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
MBTI
« on: September 21, 2008, 01:13:19 am »
I'm wondering if any of you have ever taken a Myers Briggs Type Indicator test. It's a test, inspired by Carl Jung's ideas, that determines which of the 16 personality types you have a preference for. Yes everyone's different but everyone falls into one of these 16 types in some degree. I have prefs for INFJ(introverted/intuitive/feeling/judging) I think I might be able to guess Geoff's type to be INTP or INTJ, not sure. :) Here's a link to a short test that I feel is pretty accurate. You can read your profile once you get the results. You may be surprised at how accurately it describes you! I'm interested in what others on this profile test to be. Let me know how it goes.

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: MBTI
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 01:18:30 am »
I've taken it before, but I've changed a whole lot since then.
I'm about to take it again, and see if it reflects the changes. I don't remember what I got last time though

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 01:19:55 am »
I'm afraid Jung's ideas have, these days, been as  discredited as Freud was in the past. Yes, I've done these tests, before, and I think(?) I got INTP, every single time as a result. But we are all so different as individuals, that I don't think that humanity can be reliably divided into just 16 types.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 01:24:58 am »
This was mine:
Your Type is
INTJ
Introverted   Intuitive   Thinking   Judging
Strength of the preferences %
33   50   25   33

And yeah, I don't think it's possibly to qualify humans as such. Everyone is so freaking different, and I had trouble answering some of those questions, such as the ones that began with "Usually you..." because a lot of the time it's totally random.

Offline stevesurv

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 01:30:15 am »
I understand that we are all so different. That's self-evident. Just like a finger print.

Offline stevesurv

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 01:31:31 am »
I'm afraid Jung's ideas have, these days, been as  discredited as Freud was in the past. Yes, I've done these tests, before, and I think(?) I got INTP, every single time as a result. But we are all so different as individuals, that I don't think that humanity can be reliably divided into just 16 types.

Yes, but, within those 16 types are lots of little differences that make us human. Like I said, we all have PREFERENCES for a certain type which means we may veer into other characteristics for a time but always come back to our type. It is a theory but a very strong one, IMO. I don't think all of Jung's theories have been as discredited as you think. The MBTI is pretty valid, IMO.

Offline Squall

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 01:46:25 am »
I was ENFJ (11-50-12-11).

They put me in the same category as Bill Clinton, Mickhail Gorbachev, and Ralph Nader. Yuck ... politicians. I hate politicians.
The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.

- Bertrand Russell

Offline stevesurv

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 01:51:30 am »
I was ENFJ (11-50-12-11).

They put me in the same category as Bill Clinton, Mickhail Gorbachev, and Ralph Nader. Yuck ... politicians. I hate politicians.

That's the same type as my best friend. He also loathes politicians...

Satya

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 04:15:57 am »
There's a better free test somewhere, but I can't find it just now.  It really explains each factor better, imho.  On that (better) test, I am a ESTJ.  The one you posted does not really allow you enough information to judge for yourself WHO YOU ARE.  It just asks vague questions without explanation.

Here, I found it:

http://www.personalitypathways.com/type_inventory.html

Satya

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 10:42:04 am »
You know, I was just watching the US VP Palin / Biden debate.  And I could not help but wonder if Governor Palin does not have my personality.  You see, I am known in employment circles (another test, sorry, I forget particulars) as a motivator.  And I am.  I am a positive thinker generally.  I tend to rally the troops.  I see this same ability in Sarah Palin.  And I am not super keen on her either ... especially her religious wackiness.  I just see serious similarities.  FWIW.

Satya

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 11:02:37 am »
BTW, Steve's linked test has me an ENTJ.  With J the strongest.  But then again, like I said, questions like:

Objective criticism is always useful in any activity.

are pretty vague unless they are given a context.  That is why I like the test I linked to better.  They give more of a clue about context in life than just some yes or no to some vague question.  Because some of those questions I could have gone either way on.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk